• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What type of software is the best for checking possible plagiarism?

Greyscale

I started my copywriter's work for the first time and I'm really worried about unintentional plagiarism in my texts. How can I avoid it? Would be really grateful to get some useful tips. Also which programs should I try for checking my texts?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I started my copywriter's work for the first time and I'm really worried about unintentional plagiarism in my texts. How can I avoid it? Would be really grateful to get some useful tips. Also which programs should I try for checking my texts?
An interesting question, but I'm not so sure such a category of software exists outside of legal firms and even that is just a guess. The database required would be truly gargantuan.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, the software definitely exists outside of legal firms. It's used routinely in academia. Anti-plagarism tools are often built into online learning platforms, like Canvas and Blackboard. There are other tools outside of these platforms, but I'm not particularly well-informed about it. I would contact one of the librarians at your local state university. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Can you say more about your work? I would have thought that avoiding plagiarism is the author's responsibility, or the publisher's responsibility, but not yours?

A plagiarism checker identifies exact matches for text, so it will show direct copying and poor paraphrasing only. I'm not sure how you can 'unintentionally' achieve a close to word for word copy of something.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I can't tell you which is best, but I can direct you to a variety of services on the Internet, at least some free.

plagiarism checker free - Google Search

I used one of these about 2 years ago, but can't recall which. It found copy-and-paste passages that I had saved without attribution for future reference years earlier, which I could no longer remember whether I had written or not.

Sensor

There's a great variety of such programs for checking possible plagiarism. However I recommend the first of all to use various original resources for writing your own articles and always write everything with your own words in case of vocabulary, style, grammar etc. In this case general quality of your articles will be always higher, besides you won't need need to spend too much time for editing texts after their checking :)
And in case of special software you can analyze your script with the help of Plagiarism Check, Plagium, Dupli Checker, Plagiarisma, Copyleaks and so on. They're mostly are rather cheap and some of them can be used for free too. Personally I for my studying liked the most of all Plagium and Copyleaks for their varierty of tools and simple interface.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what kind of writing you're doing so I have no idea what your "copywriter's work" consists of---I have two published books---but it's extremely unlikely your original writing would ever be so close to that of another that it could be considered plagiarism.

I wouldn't give it a moment of concern. Just make sure you give proper attribution where it's called for.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I dont know about software but what i was told at uni was to take a phrase you think may be suspect and google it. Just about any published material containing the phrase or close to it will be listed.