• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What topics should I discuss with my Mormon guests?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I had a couple of young (late teens/early twenties) Mormon missionaries stop by my apartment on Saturday. They wanted to discuss religion and share their faith with me. It was a bad time since I had just woken from a nap, was going to go for a run, and my apartment was a mess. Also, I would have been embarrassed to have guests (my futon was covered with aluminum foil since I've been trying to train the cat to keep off of it, and I had empty beer bottles everywhere) I invited them to come back over on Thursday afternoon for a discussion. What should I talk with them about? I'm clueless...I've talked with Jehovah's Witnesses before, but never Mormons. They're going to try to make a convert out of me, should I try to make skeptics/agnostics out of them?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I had a couple of young (late teens/early twenties) Mormon missionaries stop by my apartment on Saturday. They wanted to discuss religion and share their faith with me. It was a bad time since I had just woken from a nap, was going to go for a run, and my apartment was a mess. Also, I would have been embarrassed to have guests (my futon was covered with aluminum foil since I've been trying to train the cat to keep off of it, and I had empty beer bottles everywhere) I invited them to come back over on Thursday afternoon for a discussion. What should I talk with them about? I'm clueless...I've talked with Jehovah's Witnesses before, but never Mormons. They're going to try to make a convert out of me, should I try to make skeptics/agnostics out of them?

I'd ask serious questions that interest you.

Are you familiar with their beliefs and rites?
Are you curious about how they view the afterlife or Jesus?

Or you could just let them start, and ask about things that come up in the conversation.

Reptillian

I'd ask serious questions that interest you.

Are you familiar with their beliefs and rites?
Are you curious about how they view the afterlife or Jesus?

Or you could just let them start, and ask about things that come up in the conversation.

I'm somewhat familiar with their beliefs, but only through second hand sources. I took a world religion class in college and we spent some time on Mormonism. Plus I've learned a bit here on Religious Forum as well. I'm hoping to learn more about them, what they believe and why they believe it.

InChrist

Free4ever

You could ask them questions like:

Is God and exalted man?

Will there be marriage in heaven?

Are all you sins forgiven?

Or for more ideas:
QUESTIONS FOR LDS ON THE IMPOSSIBLE GOSPEL OF MORMONISM — A Verse-by-Verse Presentation from LDS Scripture
Questions for LDS on the Impossible Gospel of Mormonism | Questions For Latter-day Saints

silvermoon383

Really the best thing you can do (especially if you don't want it to even appear confrontational) is to just base any questions on what they tell you. Most of the missionaries would be willing to discuss common ground or learn something new, but please avoid "gotcha" questions or anything intended to get them to question their own faith.

Reptillian

You could ask them questions like:

Is God and exalted man?

Will there be marriage in heaven?

Are all you sins forgiven?

Or for more ideas:
QUESTIONS FOR LDS ON THE IMPOSSIBLE GOSPEL OF MORMONISM — A Verse-by-Verse Presentation from LDS Scripture
Questions for LDS on the Impossible Gospel of Mormonism | Questions For Latter-day Saints

I could, but I wouldn't want to offend them. I'm genuinely interested in their religion and what they personally believe.

Really the best thing you can do (especially if you don't want it to even appear confrontational) is to just base any questions on what they tell you. Most of the missionaries would be willing to discuss common ground or learn something new, but please avoid "gotcha" questions or anything intended to get them to question their own faith.

They seemed like polite young men...they reminded me a bit of myself at that age. I was interested in missionary work and was quite self assured in my faith. We discussed why I'm an agnostic a bit, and the possible nature of god a bit, but it wasn't the best time for me...especially since I was groggy from a nap. I'm hoping we can go into more depth. I'm especially interested in what they think about the nature of truth and why they think they've found it.

Ask them why cardboard cutouts of Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick the Starfish are considered appropriate visual aids for discussing religion with adults.

What church have you been visiting? :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You're not going to make skeptics or agnostics out of them. They're giving two years of their lives to talk to people about something that means a lot to them and that they want to share with others. If your intent is simply to become better educated about what Mormonism teaches, this is a good opportunity to do so. If that's the case, then just have a frank discussion with them about what they believe and why. Most Mormon missionaries will welcome a give and take discussion and will welcome the chance to simply chat with someone who is non-confrontational. On the other hand, if you just want to argue religion with them, you'll probably be disappointed. They likely won't be interested in doing so. In that event, I would simply be honest with them and tell them that you aren't interested in their message. More than likely, they'll just thank you for your time and for having enough integrity to not play games with them. As a Mormon, that's my suggestion.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure they've already got your 'discussion' pretty well outlined. They are professionals, after all, and this is what they do.

You can, of course, take the discussion completely off track by questioning the major premises they'll lead off with.
A meeting of minds is usually achieved by finding common ground and building on it. These people no doubt have their arguments and debate points well honed. They know the Weltansicht and religious presuppositions of the demographics they're dealing with -- the shared foundation. When they find someone questioning the foundational axioms, however, all bets are off. You force them to justify the presuppositions their religion is built on. Will they pull it off? Will they have a crisis of faith?
Whatever the outcome you're likely to come away with a more candid view of the LDS world-view and theology than most.

Keep in mind, though, these missionaries are sincerely trying to help you. Throwing them off their script is fine if it leads to insight or understanding, but remember this is an inquest, not a conquest. Be nice

Last edited by a moderator:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm pretty sure they've already got your 'discussion' pretty well outlined.
Actually, if you'd said this twenty years ago, I'd agree with you. In recent years, a lot has changed about how the Church instructs its missionaries to interact with people. Discussions are much less structured than they used to be.

They are professionals, after all, and this is what they do.
If you can call a couple of 19-year-old kids thrust into an environment completely unlike anything they've ever known before and told to "preach the gospel," "professionals."

Whatever the outcome you're likely to come away with a more candid view of the LDS world-view and theology than most.

Keep in mind, though, these missionaries are sincerely trying to help you. Throwing them off their script is fine if it leads to insight or understanding, but remember this is an inquest, not a conquest. Be nice
Gotta frubal you for this. :)

Draka

Wonder Woman

Don't think of it like that. Think of it as just an exchanging of ideas and a learning experience. I've spoken with Mormon missionaries before and I can honestly say I never got the feeling from them that they were ever really trying to "convert" me. If anything it was always more an open sharing of ideas and beliefs. They are not pushy. If YOU show an active interest then they will be more than happy to answer your questions and come back as often as you like and guide you on the path, of course, but in my experience, they aren't going to push anything. Shoot, in my experience, one found my beliefs so interesting he brought back a new guy to talk with me and learn about my beliefs just because. They aren't all pushy, so don't be with them. You'll just come off as rude.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why not ask them "what do you expect of this discussion?" and then just see what happens? If they tell you they expect a convert you can start of by saying that is unlikely. If you expect to tell them about why agonisticism makes more sense to you, do tell them that will be your intent.

If all parties agree with the intents of all parties before the discussion, then both parts should be on better terms to enjoy the chat and understand what is likely to happen and what is not. No part should then feel there was a waste of time.

Idk, I´d manage it that way at least.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'll echo Draka's post. I had LDS missionaries come by my house a number of times -- though this was >20 years ago, during the "more structured" times, as Katzpur put it.
They were friendly, polite and not at all pushy -- and they gave me a Book of Mormon -- With pictures.:p It was all very low key.
The only unusual aspects of the encounters were their oddly conservative dress and the fact that they started each session with a prayer.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I had a couple of .................Mormon missionaries stop by my apartment on Saturday. They wanted to discuss religion and share their faith with me. ............ I invited them to come back............ What should I talk with them about? I'm clueless...I've talked with Jehovah's Witnesses before, but never Mormons. They're going to try to make a convert out of me, should I try to make skeptics/agnostics out of them?

Hi...... Excuse me reducing and highlighting your Post.

So..... You already know that their main objective is to convert people to their faith, religion and way of life? That and to strengthen themselves in various ways?

I have the greatest respect for (what I call) doorstep missionairies and also, any sales people. They are subjected to the most degrading abuse from some, timewasting by others, and 'clever' (really thick!) put-downs.

So my advise would be:- Treat them with respect, listen totheir message, ask questions, and be politely honest with them. I'm sure you would have done that anyway.....

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Be nice to them. They're about 19 years old, usually in a new city or even a new country. They're not getting any money for it. Not only that, but I think trying to 'make agnostics out of them' is beneath you; you're too nice for something like that. :)

I've never met a Mormon I disliked, and if you're nice to them, they will appreciate it a lot, especially after having doors closed in their face all day or being ridiculed and insulted or called names.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
What church have you been visiting? :D

The missionaries came to my home, I invited them in, we began to discuss Mormon theology, and Spongebob emerged from their briefcase. I can't make these things up. I felt like they were joking at first but they were serious. Unfortunately I could'nt take them seriously after that.

Reptillian

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't show up today. I was going to offer them tea and everything. :(

Satyamavejayanti

Can you ask then if a Non Mormon can enter a Mormon church without the angels stopping them with some kind of force.

Ive heard this but not sure of how true this is.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was a bit disappointed that they didn't show up today. I was going to offer them tea and everything. :(

Once I had Mormons come to my house. They said they would come again but they did not come again while I was home. They were charming.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Can you ask then if a Non Mormon can enter a Mormon church without the angels stopping them with some kind of force.

Ive heard this but not sure of how true this is.
I hope this is just a sarcastic question, but in the event that it's not, I'll answer it for you. On the outside of every LDS Church in the world there is a sign saying, "Visitors Welcome." The sign means what it says. Anyone is welcome to attend an LDS worship service, unannounced.