• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to do about your ego?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all!

I hope you enjoy this little thread and if so why not click on one of the approval icons :)

Here's an article about transcending your ego.

The ultimate goal of all spiritual practice is to transcend the ego, and awaken to your true Self.

Throughout human history, many masters and teachers have developed many different ways and methods of approaching the problem – but there is none more direct than self-inquiry.

Other methods often involve fixing the attention on the breath, or a mantra, a candle flame, etc. But during self-inquiry meditation, the practitioner turns inward, seeking out the essence of the self, the source of awareness, the sense of “I am.”

To read the full article -

How To Transcend The Ego Through Self-Inquiry | Zenful Spirit

Enjoy the rest of your browsing!

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Greetings all!

I hope you enjoy this little thread and if so why not click on one of the approval icons :)

The ultimate goal of all spiritual practice is to transcend the ego, and awaken to your true Self.

Throughout human history, many masters and teachers have developed many different ways and methods of approaching the problem – but there is none more direct than self-inquiry.

Other methods often involve fixing the attention on the breath, or a mantra, a candle flame, etc. But during self-inquiry meditation, the practitioner turns inward, seeking out the essence of the self, the source of awareness, the sense of “I am.”

Interesting stuff. For me the question "Who am I?" is too mind-based, like a sort of frustrating koan.
I find it more productive to move attention down from head to heart, and actually feel that inner presence.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Greetings all!

So here's the thing, I can't transcend the ego because I am the ego, nor can any mortal self because they are the ego.

The trick is to first realize that the I can't in all eternity become anything other than the I, the personal self. Once that is understood, the teaching by masters on the subject can be practiced whereby through the stilling of the mind meditation, the ego temporarily ceases to exist during the time there is no thought, and thus a new self identity begins to develop around the egoless meditative state of mind. In time, self identification with the transcendent egoless state of mind becomes who one is, and the hitherto ego self which self identifies with the body fades away.

What is the transcendent mind state? It can't be described, cease all thought and it will be revealed!