• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the hell are these?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
It came in the mail with some fidgets i got for my students. Only instructions put in water for 4 hours watch grow. No picture or nothing.

20230320_181434.jpg

I guess we will find out in 4 hours?

VoidCat

That'll be some sorcery. Like how? I mean that link @Stevicus. Provided says they can grow into dinos but like I have no clue the mechanisms of this. I reckon it has something to do with the balls absorbing water.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
These are Orbeez or similar product :D they become big water beads after soaking.

Beware, depending on the brand they can get big.
Sometimes as small as this: s-l500.png
Or big as this: maxresdefault.jpg

They're also used for indoor plants because they slowly release water and don't evaporate quickly.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That'll be some sorcery. Like how? I mean that link @Stevicus. Provided says they can grow into dinos but like I have no clue the mechanisms of this. I reckon it has something to do with the balls absorbing water.

I'm not sure if what you have is the same as indicated in the link. However, the link indicated some risks with these things.

Larger versions of the expandable toys can become lodged in the guts of children. Water Balz and Orbeez have been swallowed and lodged in the guts of children, requiring surgery to remove.[5][6] A 2012 paper documented the case of an infant who had swallowed a 1 centimetre (0.39 in) "Water Balz" product, which grew to "the size of a golf ball" in her digestive tract, requiring surgery to remove it.[5][7] Orbeez states that their product expands to only 7 millimetres (0.28 in) in the intestines if swallowed[4] and will pass through the digestive tract,[8] but that it is a choking hazard and is unsuitable for children under five.[4]

Starting from January 15, 2007 there have been several recalls on these toys. Ireland, Poland, Cyprus, Lithuania, Hungary and the United Kingdom have recalled the Magic Grow Reptile and Dinosaur Eggs Wild World due to a choking risk.[citation needed] In the United Kingdom, an expanding spider toy was recalled in 2010 for not complying with the European standard EN 71, in that the toy's legs could be broken off and swallowed, expanding in the stomach.[9]

VoidCat

I'm not sure if what you have is the same as indicated in the link. However, the link indicated some risks with these things.

Larger versions of the expandable toys can become lodged in the guts of children. Water Balz and Orbeez have been swallowed and lodged in the guts of children, requiring surgery to remove.[5][6] A 2012 paper documented the case of an infant who had swallowed a 1 centimetre (0.39 in) "Water Balz" product, which grew to "the size of a golf ball" in her digestive tract, requiring surgery to remove it.[5][7] Orbeez states that their product expands to only 7 millimetres (0.28 in) in the intestines if swallowed[4] and will pass through the digestive tract,[8] but that it is a choking hazard and is unsuitable for children under five.[4]

Starting from January 15, 2007 there have been several recalls on these toys. Ireland, Poland, Cyprus, Lithuania, Hungary and the United Kingdom have recalled the Magic Grow Reptile and Dinosaur Eggs Wild World due to a choking risk.[citation needed] In the United Kingdom, an expanding spider toy was recalled in 2010 for not complying with the European standard EN 71, in that the toy's legs could be broken off and swallowed, expanding in the stomach.[9]
I then will not give it to the kids.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member

Sounds like my wife's first meatloaf......