1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What the heck new evidence for Christ?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Riders, Mar 2, 2019.

1. THE HOOD APOLOGIST

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is not proof of anything pertaining to Jesus existing, which is what we're debating. You have to brush up on your reading comprehension.

• Like Like x 1
  2. THE HOOD APOLOGIST

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Christian
    Being more recent has nothing to do with credible evidence. It's the sources that back the claim that are important. Again, just like the other thread, Im going to end my dialogue with you due to the fact your reading comprehension is prohibiting you from understanding what's being said. Have a nice day:peace:

3. THE HOOD APOLOGIST

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Christian
    Your responding to a dialogue between me and riders and you have no idea what the dialogue is about:tearsofjoy:

4. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Then why did you mention that the New Testament was more recent than other works? You are being inconsistent. That is the reason that I asked.

And no, I am not the one with a reading comprehension problem here.

5. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Actually I do. My points are not related to hers. She makes some errors too, but they are not as bad as the ones that you make.

I accept that there probably was a man named Jesus. That does not take too much in the way of evidence. It is the magic claims that need to be supported by reliable evidence.

6. lukethethird

lukethethird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Religion:
    Xian
    Religious texts are works of theology, literary art. Everything we supposedly know about Jesus comes from them. What is there to validate? Miracles?

• Like Like x 1
  7. THE HOOD APOLOGIST

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Christian
    I said I wasn't but I had to reply to this last comment.
    Not more recent, but having COPIES CLOSER to the original writings than ALL LITERATURE FROM THE ANCIENT WORLD. So you mentioning Mormons and the Koran shows your reading comprehension is prohibiting you from understanding what's being said. That's all I have for you, have a nice day:peace:

8. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Can you support that claim with a valid source? Or are you merely invoking Hitchen's Razor again? It is a rather pointless claim. First you must define "ancient world". I might call the Koran ancient in which case your claim still fails. Second you are ignoring the fact that early Catholic leaders destroyed many texts that disagreed with accepted version of the Bible. That only tells us that the homogenity is artificial and has nothing to do with the reliability of the works. There used to be a whole slue of "Gospels" for example. You need to do a lot better than that.

9. THE HOOD APOLOGIST

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Christian
    Maybe you didn't catch the point of the post.
    The point is If someone is going to reject Tacitus statement because it's 80 years after the fact, then they have to apply that same logic to every piece of literature from the ancient world. Being that one of the earliest copies from a secular piece of literature we have between the time it was written and copied is Homers Illiad and it's 400 years after the fact.
    Herodotus considered to be one of the greatest historians of all time wrote his histories from 480-425B.C. The first copies are from 900A.D., 1300 years later. Yet you don't see them questioning his credibility. That was the point.

10. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist
    The Iliad is not regarded as history but as mythology. There appears to have been an actual event that inspired it but that does not make that tale, that largely involves the actions of Greek Gods, as being historical. If you want to equate the Gospels with the Iliad I have no problem with that at all. There almost certainly was a real life event that inspired the Gospels too. And the God claims of the Gospels appear to be just as justified as the God claims of the Iliad.

11. THE HOOD APOLOGIST

Ratings:
    +39
    Religion:
    Christian
    Dictionary
    Reading Comprehension- is the act of understanding what you are reading.

Where in this post is Homers Illiad mentioned as history? Nowhere. It is referred to as a "piece of literature". Herodotus on the other hand is referred to as a historian who wrote HISTORIES.
    I'm sorry but due to your limited level of reading comprehension I can't dialogue with you anymore on this post or any other post because it's fruitless. Have a nice day and enjoy the rest of your time on this site:peace:

12. lukethethird

Ratings:
    +542
    Religion:
    Xian
    I don't have to accept or reject Tacitus' writings out of hand, and yes, we should take into consideration non-sourced material no matter where it comes from, even if it means not knowing as much as we would like to think we know.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,392
    Religion:
    Christian
    The miracles may have been gilding the lily, but then I am not much on supernatural stuff.

14. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,392
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Illiad is an epic poem.

15. lukethethird

Ratings:
    +542
    Religion:
    Xian
    Are we to consider taking away all the miracles in order to make Jesus appear historical? Is there a point to that exercise?

16. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist

Then once again, why even bring it up? You keep shooting yourself in the foot by using bad examples. Have you forgotten how the early church getting rid of competing gospels negates your claim of the fact that the gospels tend to agree with older copies? There is no value in such a claim when such an action has been taken.

And I would suggest that you quit breaking the rules of the forum if you wish to remain here. Making personal accusations against others is against the rules. For me to point out that you keep refuting your own arguments is valid. For you to accuse others of poor reading comprehension is against the rules. Deal with the arguments and not the person.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,392
    Religion:
    Christian
    I just don't believe that humans can walk on water.

18. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I know that. Why he brought it up is an amazingly poor example. It does not support his case.

I do agree that Jesus was probably a real person. That he was a wizard of any sort I do have a problem with.

19. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +19,249
    Religion:
    Atheist
    And Jesus had some very valid teachings. That he could not walk on water does not take away from the lessons that he taught.

• Like Like x 2
  20. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,392
    Religion:
    Christian
    Lots and lots of early Christian writings didn't make the cut. Here's a list.
    Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers