• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What teaching is this?

dave_

Sometime ago i chatted with this person on internet.He told me that the world around us is a reflection of ourselves and we create the world around us.He also said we are the gods of our own universes and have potential to control it (not simple control rather like magic as i understand).We talked alot i couldnt understand some of things he said but i can say he wasnt just talking about some self help thing.

So i wonder what kind of a teaching this can be?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It reminds me primarily of the New Age babble that you find in What the Bleep do we Know, but the basic idea is older than that and doesn't have to be taken in such... interesting directions. I don't actually dislike the film, but those who are not well-appraised in science would be better off not watching it as they won't be able to tell where the science ends and the non-scientific interpretations begin.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sounds a bit like Thelema or Wicca. But given how little I know of either, odds are that I am completely mistaken.

idav

Being
Premium Member
So i wonder what kind of a teaching this can be?

Sounds like The Secret where you can create the world you want by mere thought. A decent optimistic outlook if not taken too far. To me there seem to be limits to our ability to create our own heavens.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like The Secret where you can create the world you want by mere thought.

That's another decent comparison. Like the film I referenced, "The Secret" hails from the New Age movement.

It's definitely not Wiccan, though, but with the cross-pollination that happens sometimes between Neopaganism and the New Age movement, you do get some Neopagans (including Wiccans) incorporating things like this into their worldview. Doesn't sound particularly Thelemite either, but I am much less familiar with that.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe that by sowing love and somehow blocking the rise of anything that squelches love the world will become a world where life flourishes. I believe it is what The Messiah taught.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
8 For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

I think 'Jesus Christ' taught world what to sow.

Zephaniah 2:3 World English Bible
Seek Yahweh, all you humble of the land, who have kept his ordinances. Seek righteousness. Seek humility. It may be that you will be hidden in the day of Yahweh's anger

agorman

Premium Member
"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." Buddha.

New Age really pulled those ideas from Eastern religions like Buddhism and Hinduism. Also the Egyptians and Greeks had their Hermetic laws. "As above, so below". "Above" could mean higher planes and the mind. "Below", the earthly manifestations of ideas "above". The secret of magic! :) Be positive and you'll have a positive life...

However is not that easy; because your subconscious mind must also become positive! That's the reason for rituals, meditation, sigils and other practices.

That's why so many commercials want to insert ideas into our subconscious mind to increase sales, mostly by repetition. Ideas like "if you don't buy the latest clothes in fashion you're a dork", "if you're old, you're stupid, the web is just for the young", etc. I've seen this last one in a local ISP's pathetic TV ad. :facepalm: People should pray for protection against this, as against any other danger. Something like "please God, protect my mind!" or whatever you like.