• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Symbol Do You Identify With?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
upload_2018-11-5_16-29-27.jpeg

The purpose of the symbol that appears on Bahá'í ringstones and other Bahá'í identity jewellery is a visual reminder of God's purpose for man, and for Bahá'ís in particular.

What it means

The three levels of the design represent:

ha.gif

the world of God, the Creator,

h-ba.gif

the world of His Manifestations,

ha.gif

and the world of man.

v-ba.gif

The vertical line joins the three horizontal bars together in the same way that the Divine Messengers of God form the link between the world of God and the world of man.

stars.gif

The twin five-pointed stars on either side of the design represent the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh, the twin Messengers of God for this age.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Contemporary Paganism has roots that intertwine with ceremonial magick and contemporary occultism, both of which make heavy use of symbolism. Even absent that influence, historical Paganisms were rich in symbolic vocabularies as well, so there's that river of inspiration flowing through the movement too.

There's a personal symbol I created for my tradition that is a variant of the "earth cross."

230px-Southern_Cult_Solar_Cross.svg.png

This isn't quite the one I use, but in the center there is usually a pentacle to represent Quintessence, and symbols of the Sacred Four in each of the quadrants. Depending on how fancy it is, there's an outer ring with signs of the seasons and astronomical signs, and an inner ring with moon phases and the light/dark cycle represented. Sometimes there might be land and sky motifs thrown in too. It's pretty versatile, but the four quadrant pattern is always there.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You know I am a maverick Hindu. Moreover Gayatri in RigVeda has no 'Om, Bhu, Bhuvah, Swah' to start with. I am a purist. :D
The Rig Veda in Sanskrit: Rig Veda Book 3: Hymn 62, Verse 10
Note: The Devanagari rendition is not correct, the English one is generally correct (except for 'Bhargho', it should have been spelt as 'Bhargo'). A problem with Griffith's translation.

And! oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ is not 8 syllables. It makes the mantra 4 lines, which is not gayatri meter. Gayatri meter is 8 syllables x 4 lines. There are other gayatris that also don't follow the meter though:

om devakinandanāya vidmahe (10 without pranava, which I do not think is counted in any gayatri)
vāsudevāya dhimahi (8)
tanno krishna prachodayat (8)

I read somewhere there's also an issue with the 2nd line tat savitur vareṇyaṃ because the line is only 7 syllables and that it should be 8: tat savitur vareṇiyaṃ. But the ṇ is a nasal, and notice the schwa-killer in ण् So I wonder if it's actually correct as tat savitur vareṇyaṃ त्स॑वि॒तुर्वरेण्यं॒ and it's the nasal that corrects the meter. :shrug: And there's also the possibility I have no Idea what I'm talking about. :D

syo

I have a necklace with three circles, one for past one for present and one for future. :)

Derek500

Wish I could change this to AUD
Many religions or belief structures have various symbols they use in their faith. For example, Christianity has the cross, the fish, the 5 pointed star, etc.

What symbol from your faith (or lack thereof) do you most closely identify with? Why? What does the symbol represent?

Do you wear said symbol on your person as either jewelry or a tattoo? Why?

And please, feel free to post a picture of the symbol in this thread.

I'd post a pic, by my worldview has no symbol.
A geological hammer. I hit the holy-bejeezus out of rocks to get to fresh samples when I take samples. Does that count?

Last edited:

Thomas Anderson

My religion`s symbol is the all-seeing eye in the sun, and the eight pointed solar cross. It is the only scientific religion in the world, and the only umbrella religion after Bahaii.
You can find the book at www.newisraelglobalrevolution.com - my home website.
Admin: Links are allowed ey???
:blacksunrays:
Peace, love, hope prosperity.

Derek500

Many religions or belief structures have various symbols they use in their faith. For example, Christianity has the cross, the fish, the 5 pointed star, etc.

What symbol from your faith (or lack thereof) do you most closely identify with? Why? What does the symbol represent?

Hey, a geological hammer. That's my symbol of faith. You can buy at it your closest camping store along with the tents and stoves and lamps.

Derek500

If a hammer can count for Thor, why not for a geologist?

geological-survey-of-india-squarelogo-1461586460837.png
Indian_Institute_of_Technology_%28Indian_School_of_Mines%29%2C_Dhanbad_Logo.png

By <span title="must have been published or publicly displayed outside Wikipedia">Source</span> (<a href="//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-free_content_criteria#4" title="Wikipedia:Non-free content criteria">WP:NFCC#4</a>), <a href="//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Indian_Institute_of_Technology_(Indian_School_of_Mines),_Dhanbad_Logo.png" title="Fair use of copyrighted material in the context of Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad">Fair use</a>, <a href="File:Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad Logo.png - Wikipedia">Link</a>
Aupmanyav.

To me, personally, you seem to be really, really crazy and I believe that you don't have the intelligence of half a rock.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Blame it on my association with rocks. I could identify all the specimens in our laboratory with closed eyes only by touch. :D

arthra

Baha'i
And please, feel free to post a picture of the symbol in this thread

Baha'is generally have a "Ring stone symbol" that looks like this:

The symbol has a star on either side with three levels the World of God, the world of the Manifestations and the world of creation. The Manifestation connects the world of God with the creation.
th

Read more about it:

What Do the Baha’i Symbols Mean?

For a more detailed account read:

http://bahai-library.com/faizi_symbol_greatest_name

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I strongly identify with a lack of symbol. Whilst this sounds like a throwaway line, I'm actually quite passionate about it.
I find symbols trying to 'encapsulate' atheism as misguided at best, completely hypocritical at worst.

There is no symbol (literally) which better represents a lack of belief than a lack of a symbol.

arthra

Baha'i
Just read one of them and that should be sufficient...:) I've asked the moderators to delete the duplicates!