• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Symbol Do You Identify With?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I was in a shop once where they were selling chains of those. I noticed all the chains had exactly four pranavas on them. Do you know if there was any significance to the number four?

No idea, I’ve never seen that. Odd numbers are the norm. We use 1, 3, 5 mostly when offering flowers, oil lamps. There’s probably some mystical reason.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
To clarify, the shop mostly contained Tibetan goods.

Ok, there may be some reason. The Tibetan OM is different. This one is definitely Sanskrit. When I made the appointment at the tattoo shop the guy asked me if I wanted the Sanskrit or Tibetan version. Here’s the Tibetan.

821BC236-2D3E-4F05-90C0-2B7B0A137342.gif

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Ok, there may be some reason. The Tibetan OM is different. This one is definitely Sanskrit. When I made the appointment at the tattoo shop the guy asked me if I wanted the Sanskrit or Tibetan version. Here’s the Tibetan.

View attachment 25206

If that's the Tibetan, then the shop was selling the Sanskrit despite being mostly a Tibetan goods shop. Interesting. I'll have to go back and ask them what the significance, if any, of the four in a string is. I bet you're right it has some mystical significance.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
149149.jpg

The above yantra is called the pratik. Pratik practically means emblem. The pratik is composed of two interconnected triangles where one points upwards and the other points downwards. This geometrical shape is also found the Anahata Chakra and it is called the Satkona. In the center of the triangle is a rising sun, and in the core of the rising sun is a swastika.

The triangle pointing downwards symbolizes internal development or meditation for self-realization. The triangle pointing upwards symbolizes action in the external world. The two triangles are in perfect balance. A person must balance their internal life with service in the world.

The rising sun indicates progress that is the result of a balanced way of life. Thus the spiritual aspirant progresses towards their goal of self-realization.

This spiritual victory is indicated by the swastika. Swastika is a Sanskrit word that means “to have a good existence of a permanent nature.” It is composed of su which meaning "good" and asti which means "to become.”

The Pratik is a symbol that expresses a universal ideology of Self-Realization and service to humanity.

Upwards pointing triangle: signifies work in the world, i.e. social work.
Downwards pointing triangle: signifies inner work, i.e. meditation.
The sun - the sum of work in the world and inner development leads to personal and spiritual development.
The svastika - Signifies personal victory, in the sense of spiritual fullfilment and salvation (the form of the swastika has its own separate explanation).

I wear a tiny metal pratik around my neck and only take it off for bath.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If that's the Tibetan, then the shop was selling the Sanskrit despite being mostly a Tibetan goods shop. Interesting. I'll have to go back and ask them what the significance, if any, of the four in a string is. I bet you're right it has some mystical significance.

Let me know what you find out, I’m curious.

dianaiad

ring.jpg

I don't actually wear any symbols that anybody else can see (and if I cover them up, it's none of your business anyway...) but if I DID wear one, I think I'd go for this one.

BTW, it stands for "It's Cool To Do The Right Thing." Sort of a take off on the "CTR" (Choose The Right) ring that all LDS kids get when they are about eight. ....

...............and which, for some reason. Latter-day saints keep buying up through their dotage. They can come in some very fancy settings.

But I kinda like this one.

pearl

Not much for wearing religious symbols except for a cross, and a small Ichthys on the front door.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Many religions or belief structures have various symbols they use in their faith. For example, Christianity has the cross, the fish, the 5 pointed star, etc.

What symbol from your faith (or lack thereof) do you most closely identify with? Why? What does the symbol represent?

Do you wear said symbol on your person as either jewelry or a tattoo? Why?

And please, feel free to post a picture of the symbol in this thread.

I'd post a pic, by my worldview has no symbol.

I have no symbol or tattoo. I simply represent myself as is.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The second is dharmachakra, if I'm not mistaken?

I'm not at all familiar with the first. It looks to have ouroboros incorporated into it along with the caduceus. What is the symbol in its entirety called?

What do these symbols mean to you?
The second is the Star of Ishtar on a Dharma Wheel.
The first in called the Glyph of Mercurius Consciousness, and it is the symbol of my Mercuræn Luciferian Order. Sometimes we will put different symbols inside the circle. The symbolism of the Glyph of Mercurius Consciousness has many elements that parallel the phurba of Tibetan Buddhism.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Did they happen to be of different colors? (blue/black, green, red, gold?)

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Many religions or belief structures have various symbols they use in their faith. For example, Christianity has the cross, the fish, the 5 pointed star, etc.

What symbol from your faith (or lack thereof) do you most closely identify with? Why? What does the symbol represent?

The Symbol most associated with the Herald of Dawn is the Glyph of Mercurius
Consciousness. It is a modified symbol of Mercury to include important alchemical
devices pertinent to our spiritual transcension.

The horns represent the Earthly manifestation through Belial, symbolic of the direction
North and the element Earth. Aspects of this element include all of the physical
sensations along with the desire for material gain, for the earth is filled with precious
metals and gems. We see the endless cycle of death and rebirth within this element as
the earth springs forth life from decaying matter again and again. This self-sufficiency is
a key to mastering one's self, for as Belial's name suggests, the adept is "without a
master".

The circle is that of the Eternal Ouroboros Serpent, it represents our Subjective
Universe thus it is Sol as Satan, the Will, and the Black Flame. The circle as Ouroboros,
the serpent devouring its tail is also a symbol of this cycle. The Black Adept, like the
Ouroboros, as the snake (higher self), devours his own tail (lower self) to emerge anew.
In addition, the Circle is symbolic of the Sun as Satan and his Ka the Black Flame.
Through the gift of the Black Flame, our true Will is known to us and the possibilities of
what we might accomplish both here in the OU and SU is without end.

Inside of the Circle is the Word of an Aeon, it is the Objective Universe, its Element is
Air and represents Luciferian Gnosis. Through Mercurius Consciousness we are able to
achieve Luciferian gnosis. Lucifer corresponds to the direction East and the element Air.
Indeed the "Prince of the Power of Air" and "light bearer". Lucifer being the Aeon shines
a light that man may know he is not just an animal but he IS as a god.

The figure eight is created using the Caduceus of Hermes. The Caduceus is symbolic
ofMercuræn Consciousness and the workings of Mercury. Both the 8 and the triangle
concern communication, the sciences and art. Mercuræn Consciousness is obtained
through work in these areas by way of the Higher Self. In addition, the 8 symbolizes
spiritual alchemy in which the adept destroys the lower self to be reborn as the higher
self, like the Phoenix rising from the ashes

The Trident represents LVYthN the Unconscious Mind, the Realm of Emotions and
Imagination. "Leviathan is the absolute, man, and if thou would presume to realize what
neither heaven nor hell may affect, know that when thou behold the presence of
Leviathan, thy end hath been attained. Only through the obliteration of the Universe that
is may man seal his mastery of the Black Flame, for only thus may he know that he is
not subject to a greater Will." (Diabolicon).

upload_2018-11-4_18-26-21.jpeg

Baladas

An Págánach

I have two symbols that really speak to me personally: The triskele (which is my current user pic) and the triquetra. :)
I wouldn't say that they are necessarily integral to my worldview, but they are meaningful to me.

I already have the triquetra as a tattoo and I plan on getting the triskele as well.
I wear pendants of both.

In both cases, it is ultimately because I enjoy the symbols.
The triquetra reminds me of Ireland (which is very near to my heart) and the triskele is a symbol that I have simply always loved.

Both make me think of the cycle of life and death, and the interconnectedness of all things.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I wear a silver pranava, OM, on a silver chain. Basically it’s the Sanskrit character representing God in Hinduism.
Surely, very popular, but I get no vibes. :)
Although I do not belong to any traditional religion, my religion has a nearly universally recognizable symbol.
Totally agree with you. Gives me the vibes even at this age.

Last edited: