• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Standards Should Home Schooled Kids Meet?

Jeremy Mason

You cannot tell me that if a bunch of kids where holding vouchers than no one would start a school. Not only would the school be started, the best teachers from the old school would be hired along with others.

:eek: Sorry Rick, that's not how the real world works. You are entitled to your "suburbia style, if it's broken, buy a new one" mentality. But, AGAIN, the resourceful, efficient and effective solution to the public school issue is to fix the problem, which is procedural and not a structural.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Excellent thread Phil. I believe that any student who is not receiving a quality education whether in a private school, public school, or home school, should be removed and given a voucher to attend the school of their choice.

This is not just a parent, evolution thing. This is an inner city student can't even read, we need to fire their teachers situation as well.

Rick, are you trying to hijack this thread to turn it into a discussion of vouchers? Why not just start a new thread?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Home schooled students should pass the state's standardized tests. I have yet to encounter one that is science-heavy or tests knowledge of evolution.

Evolution needs to be taught to every kid. Not teaching it is worse than not teaching the germ theory of disease.

Worshipper

Evolution needs to be taught to every kid. Not teaching it is worse than not teaching the germ theory of disease.
Well I wouldn't go that far!

Were you using hyperbole here, or do you really think it's more important for folks to know about evolution than to know about the germ theory of disease? If it's not hyperbole, I'd love to hear your reasoning!

Jeremy Mason

Well I wouldn't go that far!

Were you using hyperbole here, or do you really think it's more important for folks to know about evolution than to know about the germ theory of disease? If it's not hyperbole, I'd love to hear your reasoning!

I think it's important to understand evolution and germ theory of disease.

Watchmen

Premium Member

But that's a separate issue. My point is the standard should be the same for home-schooled and public-schooled and private-schooled children. If evolution is on the test they should all be tested on it. But my experience is that evolution is not on the state tests. Home schooled kids should not be held to a standard that the public students are not being held to.