• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What spectacular demonstrations of mercy does your scriptures show?

whirlingmerc

Moses broke the stone tablets with the commands written by the finger of God and was not judged for it even though he was supposed to deliver the tablets to the Jews and God had to remake them

I see the first believer in the promised land was a harlot named Raab and the first minor prophet was Hosea concerning an unfaithful wife named Gomer. Both Gomer and Raab redeemed and shown love.

God demonstrating his love for use while we were yet sinners Christ died for us is the strongest.

Is there a spectacular example you have?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
None, for my traditions have no scriptures. As far as I am aware, that word originated to describe the Bible specifically, and therefore its associations are steeped in Abrahamic traditions. Applying such a term to words that can be studied in my traditions would lead to wrong conclusions. The traditions I hail from respect that all written words have value and can be used for inspiration or study. There is no special category of "scriptures" or "holy books." In fact, sources of inspiration for study transcend written word and include all the fine arts as well as the sciences. In most regards, action speaks more volume than words. The most spectacular demonstrations of mercy would be... well... actual demonstrations of mercy, not stories about it. This, if one chooses, can simply be put into practice in one's own life as part of one's code of honor.

My own code of honor does not speak directly of mercy. However, its central maxim is peace and various elaborations would all support the practice of mercy as the usual course of action. Are these demonstrations spectacular when put into practice in my life? Eh, not really. I don't live a spectacular life, thank the gods. That would be far too much drama for my tastes, and it would be incredibly difficult to cultivate any sense of peace under such conditions. Honestly? Mercy and forgiveness need not - and perhaps
should not - be spectacular. They should be ordinary, for it is the little things and little gestures that build the world around us. They create our sense of normalcy. Let mercy not be spectacular, but engrained in our sense of normalcy... for it supports peace among all peoples. It's not quite that simple of course. :D

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Moses broke the stone tablets with the commands written by the finger of God and was not judged for it even though he was supposed to deliver the tablets to the Jews and God had to remake them

I see the first believer in the promised land was a harlot named Raab and the first minor prophet was Hosea concerning an unfaithful wife named Gomer. Both Gomer and Raab redeemed and shown love.

God demonstrating his love for use while we were yet sinners Christ died for us is the strongest.

Is there a spectacular example you have?

Its is often said that Christ died so we could live. For Baha'is, Baha'u'llah spent 40 years in prison and in exile so we could be free.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Its is often said that Christ died so we could live. For Baha'is, Baha'u'llah spent 40 years in prison and in exile so we could be free.
Funny. How does Jesus being crucified and Bahaullah being in prison for certain period of time affect me, a Hindu in India? Once I charted my path, I have always been free. What one needs to be free of, is falsity.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Funny. How does Jesus being crucified and Bahaullah being in prison for certain period of time affect me, a Hindu in India? Once I charted my path, I have always been free. What one needs to be free of, is falsity.

It obviously worked then. What other explanation could there possibly be!? :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Only one, I have nothing to thank Jesus or Bahaullah for. I can do without them.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Over an over again, the God of Abraham is shown to be merciful -- he only wants repentance. The message of the prophets that is repeated over and again is "You wicked Israelites, you have abandoned me for other Gods and so I will discipline you. But then I will restore you and bless you and the wolf will lie down with the lamb, etc."

One particular story of mercy which I like, is when God bends to Abraham's compassion and reasoning. God is planning on destroying the city of Sodom for its wickedness. Abraham argues with God --“Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?” The Lord said, “If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake.” Now this goes on and on for quite some time, with Abraham bartering with God until he gets the number way down. “May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?” He answered, “For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it.”