• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What smells do you remember from childhood?

Smoke

Done here.
It's interesting how many of our memories are tied to smell. What are some of the smells you remember from childhood?

I think of my grandmother's Apfelkuchen baking in the oven, raspberries in the garden, salt spray at the beach, the musty smell of my grandparents' basement.

I also associate people with smells:

My dad - English Leather and cigarettes.

My mom - Coffee and perfume.

My aunt - Ivory soap and menthol (that's a pretty distinctive combination).

My grandmother - Soap and cigarettes.

My grandfather - Old Spice and cigarettes.

(Seems like everybody smoked back then.)

evearael

I remember my mom baking banana nut bread. I remember my dad's smoking. I remember my uncle smelled of beer and cigarettes. Actually, a great many of my aunts and uncles smoked. I remember one aunt wore too much perfume. I remember the horrid reek of the concoctions my sister and I would make from odd items from the fridge before mom and dad checked on us. I remember the smell of birthday cake fresh out of the oven.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Smells from childhood are mostly tied around holidays: Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing, Christmas pine trees, etc.

But with certain people:

Dad - beer outside doing the BBQ, cigarettes

Mom - Mary Kay extra emollient night cream, dish soap

Grandpa Kenny - wood-burning fireplace, cigar smoke

Grandma Emma - pipe tobacco (no, she didn't smoke pipe, but she always kept my Grandpa John's pipe around as a reminder of him after he died), chocolate chip cookies, pies, cakes, etc.

Great thread idea! :)

Peace,
Mystic

Topanga

Homemade chicken soup
Halo Shampoo (not available here anymore, might be discontined, but anything that resembles that fragrance)
Roast chicken
Lamb chops

Great topic! Thanks for giving me a moment to reminisce! :)

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
In the old Bascarsija portion of Sarajevo, the wooden shops with red tile rooves were so old that they'd absorbed the arome of a century's worth of incense and fragrances. It was like being in the perfume section of a department store, only much softer and much more beautiful, natural. I'll always remember that smell.

I also remember the smell of Vrelo Bosne (Springs of the River Bosnia) Park in northwest Sarajevo. It's a bad smell when you're right in the Springs, hot sulfer water, but people still go because it's supposed to be healthy.

I also remember the smell of my Aunt Saska's house. Her husband was a bee-keeper and the house was always filled with bee-wax sculptures and candles. They had the sweetest smell I've ever sniffed in my life. Such a pure, natural, sugary smell. It was beautiful.

And the smell of our Volkswagon Golf. I could still retch everytime a car backfires, and I just wait for that stench. lol