• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should We Teach our Children?

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Original Freak said:
Every year I worked my *** off and about 1/2 way through the year I would go from the average player to one of the #1 defensive players on my team...almost every year.

I don't think because you aren't naturally good at something is an excuse for not being able to to the basic fundamentals of an education.
You worked your *** off because you were interested in Hockey. I am not suggesting that the 'basic fundamentals' of school be ignored. I just do not think the school should use a cookie cutter system for 12 years.

My mom is an x-ray tech. She is very intelligent, and very intuitive. However, she cannot spell to save her life. My 13 year old niece thinks it's funny that she can spell better than Memaw. My point is, my mother is very successfull, went through many years of school, and she still can't spell. She could not retain that information. She can tell you every muscle in the human body. She is a math wiz. But she can't spell.

I just think if children were allowed to study what they are interested in, they will retain the knowledge they need for their future. You can teach the concepts of math in a class focused on something else. Same with writing and science.

An example, I have a friend who homeschools. They live on a farm. Feeding the horses can be a math lesson. There are 12 horses and each horse gets 1 1/2 scoops of feed. How many scoops of feed do we need in all?

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Sunstone said:
As long as we teach our children to be hysterical about their own sexuality, I feel we have fulfilled our obligation and duty to them.
You neglected to mention instruction in the proper use of the tinfoil hat.:tsk: