• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should the federal minimum wage rightfully be in 2019?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Whatever pays for a family + all household amenities + mortgage &c. without forcing the family to live hand-to-mouth and budget all the time.

Jonathan Bailey

Whatever pays for a family + all household amenities + mortgage &c. without forcing the family to live hand-to-mouth and budget all the time.

I'm basing this on a single-person household adult with no dependents. Anybody earning only minimum wage is not fit to have a spouse or any children.

Jonathan Bailey

Then there is no point to minimum wage. If one works, one should be able to provide.

If one works and one is single, one should be able to provide for him/herself. If one works and has a spouse and three babies, one should be able to provide for himself, the spouse and the three babies.

The federal minimum wage should be at least sufficient for just one working person to stuff his/her own face and keep a roof over his/her head with no need for room sharing.

A single working person may need a car for work if there's no bus line.

A single person should also make enough to preclude all forms of welfare including food stamps, housing vouchers and Medicaid. The minimum wage should be enough to keep a single adult working person entirely off the government tit and even afford adequate health and dental insurance if the employer doesn't offer it as a perk.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder....
Under what constitutional power could the fed require
every employer in every state to pay a minimum wage?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
If one works and one is single, one should be able to provide for him/herself. If one works and has a spouse and three babies, one should be able to provide for himself, the spouse and the three babies.

The federal minimum wage should be at least sufficient for just one working person to stuff his/her own face and keep a roof over his/her head with no need for room sharing.

A single working person may need a car for work if there's no bus line.

A single person should also make enough to preclude all forms of welfare including food stamps, housing vouchers and Medicaid. The minimum wage should be enough to keep a single adult working person entirely off the government tit and even afford adequate health and dental insurance if the employer doesn't offer it as a perk.
I agree, but what if this person finds all of a sudden he or she is going to have a kid and cannot find another job? As a person who thinks that mothers should not be required to work outside the home, 1 income needs to suffice, minimum wage or otherwise. So if she gives up work to mother, he shouldn't be forced to find another job.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Congress has never let the federal minimum wage erode for this long

What is the minimum a single-person household adult American needs to truly earn a living income?

It should be commensurate with the rate of inflation.

As an example, in 1971, my grandfather bought a house in Santa Ana, California for $28,000. That same house is worth $629,204 today (according to Zillow), 22.47 times its value from almost 50 years ago.

The minimum wage in 1971 was $1.60 per hour. $1.60 x 22.47 = $35.95 per hour = should be the minimum wage today.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
It's the campaign by some people to raise the federal minimum wage to $15.00/hr., of course; it's certainly not the fight to live until the age of 15 but some children in this world even face that struggle.d.

Xtra! Xtra! Read all about it here!

Fight for $15
This means little to me as I don't live in the USA, but it sounds better than what is currently offered.

Jonathan Bailey

I wonder....
Under what constitutional power could the fed require
every employer in every state to pay a minimum wage?

Under what constitutional power has the fed. govt. already raised minimum wage in the past?

The ATF grabs guns and the Constitution doesn't call for this agency at all.

Jonathan Bailey

It should be commensurate with the rate of inflation.

As an example, in 1971, my grandfather bought a house in Santa Ana, California for $28,000. That same house is worth $629,204 today (according to Zillow), 22.47 times its value from almost 50 years ago.

The minimum wage in 1971 was $1.60 per hour. $1.60 x 22.47 = $35.95 per hour = should be the minimum wage today.

Yes, linear sliding scale with inflation. Makes perfect sense to me! People who earn minimum wage now should have no less than the same buying power of minimum wage earners decades ago. In 1971, I could buy a candy bar or a Coke for no more than a dime even in prestigious Marin County, California! There was a time when California banks and real estate wasn't monopolized by forces of the East. Take a look at the Mongoloid facial features of bank executives and real estate tycoons in California and you'll know what I mean. In 1974, a child could get in the Exploratorium in San Francisco for just one dollar. In 1978, an old woman I knew was still paying less than $300/mo. for a studio apartment in the Noe district. The Golden State wasn't always so expensive.

Money is only worth what it can buy. The American dollar isn't worth crap these days so it can't even buy a mouse turd let alone a dog turd.

That said, I'll gladly take any American dollar that one is willing to give me today as long as it isn't infected with HIV or laced with poison.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Minimum wage is becoming less and less relevant.

In Ohio, minimum wage is $8.55. The average wage for my restaurants for entry level crew members has reached $9.00. With the job market as good as it is, I can't employ anyone at minimum wage and expect to retain them.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
By the way, I wasn't very clear, so... I was stating I think college education, rather than laws, is the best way of pursuing a better wage. Some local colleges are almost free after certain grants.
What about those people who don't want to go? University was never for me and I have never needed it.