• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should I not do

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Lol, that reminds me of some jokes about Belgians and Germans we have here.
The Dutch have a lot of jokes about Belgians where the Belgian is depicted as extremely naive and is the brunt of the joke.
Or when someone burps really loud, it is possible someone might say: "My, he knows his German well!"
I like the Belgians, and I love their accent. In the south of the Netherlands, Limburg and Brabant people sound similar.

I live in the North of Holland, I don't think we made jokes about Belgium. Belgium was probably too far away. We also had no internet nor mobiles, so during the 400 km travel, the joke lost its charm anyway, once it arrived in the North:D

Note: I do remember that a few jokes made it all the way up North, just a few; but I don't remember the jokes anymore

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
When I visited France, age 16, I just learned a little bit of french, and I was trying my best, but then the french started speaking so fast (on purpose) that I could not follow them anymore.

This reminds me of a tutor I once knew who spoke both fluent French and Italian. He was in Paris asking (obviously in French) for directions to the nearest metro. The man seemingly could not understand. Eventually the Parisian said "Ah, le metrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro" to emphasise that the inept foreigner had failed to roll the "r" enough to be understood. Suitably belittled my tutor asked him if he understood Italian. No, he did not.
"Ahh" said the tutor and with that he walked off, waving a cheery goodbye whilst telling him to "Vaffanculo."

Last edited:

stvdv

This reminds me of a tutor I once knew who spoke both fluent French and Italian. He was in Paris asking (obviously in French) for directions to the nearest metro. The man seemingly could not understand. Eventually the Parisian said "Ah, le metrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro" to emphasise that the inept foreigner had failed to roll the "r" enough to be understood. Suitably belittled my tutor asked him if he understood Italian. No, he did not.
"Ahh" said by tutor and so waved him a cheery goodbye whilst telling him to "Vaffanculo."
Quite a creative tutor, giving such an answer (I had to google the word though). But I really could see this scenario of the Parisian rolling the "r". I felt similar when I had my experience in Paris.

Gargovic Malkav

I like the Belgians, and I love their accent. In the south of the Netherlands, Limburg and Brabant people sound similar.

I live in the North of Holland, I don't think we made jokes about Belgium. Belgium was probably too far away. We also had no internet nor mobiles, so during the 400 km travel, the joke lost its charm anyway, once it arrived in the North:D (I do remember that a few jokes made it all the way up north, just a few; but I don't remember them anymore)

I grew up in the south.
It is true that the accents/dialects share some similarities, but the greater the similarities, the greater the chauvinism.
If you say to a Brabander that he sounds like a Belgian, he'll probably be insulted and will desperately try to prove you wrong.
I have family from Nijmegen, which is the south of Gelderland but the local dialect kinda reminds me of Limburgs.
I can hear the difference, but also similarities.
But when I try to point that out to someone who is from there they get very touchy about it.

stvdv

I grew up in the south.
It is true that the accents/dialects share some similarities, but the greater the similarities, the greater the chauvinism.
If you say to a Brabander that he sounds like a Belgian, he'll probably be insulted and will desperately try to prove you wrong.
I have family from Nijmegen, which is the south of Gelderland but the local dialect kinda reminds me of Limburgs.
But when I try to point that out to someone who is from there they get very touchy about it.
So, it seems this chauvinism in Holland is not just in Friesland, but all of the Netherlands is infested with it. Not so cool:cool:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Quite a creative tutor, giving such an answer (I had to google the word though). But I really could see this scenario of the Parisian rolling the "r". I felt similar when I had my experience in Paris.
My partner said on repeated trips to Paris she met this patronising attitude. In contrast, my trips to Italy and Germany only ever involved meeting friendly people willing to help with my appalling attempts at speaking Italian or German. I'm sure some Parisians must be nice.

stvdv

My partner said on repeated trips to Paris she met this patronising attitude. In contrast, my trips to Italy and Germany only ever involved meeting friendly people willing to help with my appalling attempts at speaking Italian or German. I'm sure some Parisians must be nice.
Yes, I bet there are millions:cool:. My uncle married to a Parisian woman, and she was very friendly. And I also met many nice French people afterwards. Probably there are much more nice people than patronizing French people. I mean, being friendly makes oneself much more happy than being unfriendly. And who does not want to be happy?

And I love Paris. A huge city, but it does not feel that way; at least when I was there a few decades ago (wow, time flies ... I really get old already:))

Gargovic Malkav

So, it seems this chauvinism in Holland is not just in Friesland, but all of the Netherlands is infested with it. Not so cool:cool:

Meh, I can enjoy the tongue-in-cheek kind of chauvinism.
But it becomes a problem when people start to take it too seriously.
I myself don't really care about that kind of thing, so when people make fun of where I came from I usually just sort of shrug it off or go along with them when I think they have a good point.
This makes me too boring for such types to make fun of me, which makes it an efficient way to get them to stop and respect me for who I am.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I grew up in the south.
I don't think the southerners sound like Belgians. They just sound like gibberish to me. I don't speak Nederlands but I understand most of it - if the speaker is from the coast. (Hilversum 3 being one of the best stations for music and weather forecast we got back in the day.)
I heard people speak Flämisch and understood more than from the Brabanders. But that was in Kelmis, a German speaking enclave in Belgium, near Aachen, so maybe a local dialect.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Meh, I can enjoy the tongue-in-cheek kind of chauvinism.
But it becomes a problem when people start to take it too seriously.
I myself don't really care about that kind of thing, so when people make fun of where I came from I usually just sort of shrug it off or go along with them when I think they have a good point.
This makes me too boring for such types to make fun of me, which makes it an efficient way to get them to stop and respect me for who I am.
The idea behind that kind of trash talking is to test your sensibilities. We want to know if we can speak freely. The right way to deal with it, is to take it on the nose, maybe even make a self deprecating joke - and return the favour later. That way we know that you don't take yourself too serious, don't hold a grudge over a carelessly spoken word and thus are trustworthy.
It's not for everyone and while I try not to talk like that to everyone, I got in trouble for my flippant manners when I thought to be in company of like minded people.

Gargovic Malkav

I don't think the southerners sound like Belgians. They just sound like gibberish to me. I don't speak Nederlands but I understand most of it - if the speaker is from the coast. (Hilversum 3 being one of the best stations for music and weather forecast we got back in the day.)
I heard people speak Flämisch and understood more than from the Brabanders. But that was in Kelmis, a German speaking enclave in Belgium, near Aachen, so maybe a local dialect.

Flemish speak more clearly compared to Brabanders I think, the tones are very different too.
Brabanders tend to have a more "mumbling" way of speaking.

That you have trouble understanding southerners I can understand.
I used to have a grandma who spoke in a very strong local dialect, and couldn't understand most of what she was saying.
Same thing with my old neighbour.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh, then you are going to have a horrible time visiting Canada. We claim to be bilingual (English and French), but the French we speak here is basically 16th century (we call it joual) because that's when French settlers got here, and nobody's bothered talking to France ever since.

And they talk faster than they do in Europe. Totally hopeless.

Example:
English: "I'm in big trouble (I'm in ****)
French: "Je suis dans le pétrin (Je suis dans la merde)"
Joual (Quebec French): "Chus dan marde"
That being said, every time I've been to Quebec - even in very rural areas - and fumble through trying to order lunch at a restaurant, they've always been patient and understanding with me.

"You speak English? That's okay - you can speak English."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My country is Canada.

If you do not know what you should NOT do when you come here, then I suggest that the thing you should NOT do is come here.
Also, do not cross that border if you carry tools & equipment.
That means getting hassled at the border, even if you hire a
broker to ease the crossing.
I favor an open border with Canuckistan. After all...we don't
have such ridiculous entry problems with the other 50 states.
And I'm willing to risk the maple syrup mafia trafficking.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Also, do not cross that border if you carry tools & equipment.
That means getting hassled at the border, even if you hire a
broker to ease the crossing.
I favor an open border with Canuckistan. After all...we don't
have such ridiculous entry problems with the other 50 states.
And I'm willing to risk the maple syrup mafia trafficking.
Many Mexicans would favour an open border with the US. It's those in the north who don't want the open border to the south.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When visiting your country? Please state your country
Judging by the show Border Security, one thing that you shouldn't do when coming to Canada that Americans often get wrong:

Don't assume that just because your guns are legal in Washington State and legal in Alaska, it's okay to have them in your car as you drive through BC from Washington to Alaska.