• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should i know before considering to become a freemason?

jasonwill2

I have a ton amount of Masons in my family, and have thought about joining them, but is there anything I should know before I actually really consider joining a fraternity?

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have a ton amount of Masons in my family, and have thought about joining them, but is there anything I should know before I actually really consider joining a fraternity?
It's mandatory to hold a belief in a monotheistic God in order to be a mason, AFAIK. Although it may get a bit vague.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You won't likely be among company that's accepting or understanding of you. While there certainly are exceptions, from my understanding members are typically elderly christian conservatives (and consider your neck of the woods).

jasonwill2

It's mandatory to hold a belief in a monotheistic God in order to be a mason, AFAIK. Although it may get a bit vague.

I've heard different, as it just has to be a higher power. Not monotheism. Are you sure? I believe in one creator, but that is a kind of pantheistic creator...

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I've heard different, as it just has to be a higher power. Not monotheism. Are you sure? I believe in one creator, but that is a kind of pantheistic creator...
That's what I mean by getting vague. While officially they may talk about the monotheistic God, potential new members may simply hold a belief in a general universal higher power. Although I was encouraged by a Mason in Somerset to become one after we had a talk about religion, I can't really speak from experience about how strict they are about this. The guy was pretty liberal in his personality and in the discussion, I can't tell if he would place a criteria for me to believe in the one God in order to join.
Eitherway, while I enjoyed visiting several historical Masonic sites and lodges in England and Scotland I dont have first hand experience about the process of becoming a mason.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

That's what I mean by getting vague. While officially they may talk about the monotheistic God, potential new members may simply hold a belief in a general universal higher power. Although I was encouraged by a Mason in Someret to become one after we had a talk about religion, I can't really speak from experience about how strict they are about this. The guy was pretty liberal in his personality and in the discussion, I can't tell if he would place a criteria for me to believe in the one God in order to join.
Eitherway, while I enjoyed visiting several historical Masonic sites and lodges in England and Scotland I dont have first hand experience about the process of becoming a mason.

I could ask one of my Masonic relatives how that goes, I guess... but that might take a little while because none are in my immediate family and I'll have to get the contacts to the ones in my extended family.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
YOu have to understand the teaching foremost or else you will not progress to higher levels.