1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should i know before considering to become a freemason?

Discussion in 'Freemasonry DIR' started by jasonwill2, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jasonwill2

jasonwill2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +160
    I have a ton amount of Masons in my family, and have thought about joining them, but is there anything I should know before I actually really consider joining a fraternity?

#1 jasonwill2, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. Caladan

Caladan Agnostic Pantheist

Ratings:
    +1,994
    It's mandatory to hold a belief in a monotheistic God in order to be a mason, AFAIK. Although it may get a bit vague.

3. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +18,623
    You won't likely be among company that's accepting or understanding of you. While there certainly are exceptions, from my understanding members are typically elderly christian conservatives (and consider your neck of the woods).

4. jasonwill2

Ratings:
    +160
    I've heard different, as it just has to be a higher power. Not monotheism. Are you sure? I believe in one creator, but that is a kind of pantheistic creator...

5. Caladan

Caladan Agnostic Pantheist

Ratings:
    +1,994
    That's what I mean by getting vague. While officially they may talk about the monotheistic God, potential new members may simply hold a belief in a general universal higher power. Although I was encouraged by a Mason in Somerset to become one after we had a talk about religion, I can't really speak from experience about how strict they are about this. The guy was pretty liberal in his personality and in the discussion, I can't tell if he would place a criteria for me to believe in the one God in order to join.
    Eitherway, while I enjoyed visiting several historical Masonic sites and lodges in England and Scotland I dont have first hand experience about the process of becoming a mason.

#5 Caladan, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  6. jasonwill2

Ratings:
    +160
    I could ask one of my Masonic relatives how that goes, I guess... but that might take a little while because none are in my immediate family and I'll have to get the contacts to the ones in my extended family.

7. Frater Sisyphus

Frater Sisyphus Contradiction, irrationality and disorder

Ratings:
    +349
    Religion:
    Thelemite (and strong-Theist)
    I'm not a deist, so they wouldn't accept me :joycat:

8. Frog

Frog Cult of Kek.

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    Occult philosopher
    YOu have to understand the teaching foremost or else you will not progress to higher levels.