• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What should i choose between these religions

Hello ! i am very confused about religion nowdays. I am a Romanian of 19 years old and i live in Canada . I was born protestant but later in my life converted to Shia Islam. I studied every religion but i cant seem to decide. I left Shia Islam because even though i had deep respect and love for Ali,Hussein and Muhammad it just wasnt for me i guess the whole always crying and beating your chest thing. Since i am 15 i am in a very deep depression and i want to find true peace. i Know that spirituality and religion can help me achieve that with other means too of course. Now i hesitate between these religions

-Ahmadiyya Muslims : they are a great community i think they interpret Islam the right way but they are mostly only pakistanis (not that i dont like pakistanis) but if really this is the true interpretation there should be arabs white black etc plus they believe that there will be other Prophets in 7000 thousands years or something like that (not too sure about that one)

-Shivaism: This is the one i find the most interesting . I think Lord Shiva is really a great God and i see him as Allah, God,Jesus etc. I would like to worship him but do you have to be born hindu to do that ? how do you worship him ?. Can i worship in a Monotheistic-Monistic perspective ? (Shiva is the only God and all Gods are in him) ?

-Buddhism: It is a very interessing religion also as Hinduism. the only thing missing is a God ( sorry i am like that )

-Catholicism: I also like this very much i find a strong feeling of attachement to the Virgin Mary and i like making the cross and the whole liturgy and thing like that. But it seem catholics have became so modernized that they lost all this mystic thing. plus i rarely see practicing catholics

Sikhism: One of the best religions and the best teachings only problem i have is that you cant shave your armpit and pubic hair as a sikh and i have hair in horror especially in those parts

So i would like a response from maybe represantatives of each of those faiths if possible or maybe converts telling me how these religions made them find peace
Thank you all :)

Sabour

Hello ! i am very confused about religion nowdays. I am a Romanian of 19 years old and i live in Canada . I was born protestant but later in my life converted to Shia Islam. I studied every religion but i cant seem to decide. I left Shia Islam because even though i had deep respect and love for Ali,Hussein and Muhammad it just wasnt for me i guess the whole always crying and beating your chest thing. Since i am 15 i am in a very deep depression and i want to find true peace. i Know that spirituality and religion can help me achieve that with other means too of course. Now i hesitate between these religions

-Ahmadiyya Muslims : they are a great community i think they interpret Islam the right way but they are mostly only pakistanis (not that i dont like pakistanis) but if really this is the true interpretation there should be arabs white black etc plus they believe that there will be other Prophets in 7000 thousands years or something like that (not too sure about that one)

-Shivaism: This is the one i find the most interesting . I think Lord Shiva is really a great God and i see him as Allah, God,Jesus etc. I would like to worship him but do you have to be born hindu to do that ? how do you worship him ?. Can i worship in a Monotheistic-Monistic perspective ? (Shiva is the only God and all Gods are in him) ?

-Buddhism: It is a very interessing religion also as Hinduism. the only thing missing is a God ( sorry i am like that )

-Catholicism: I also like this very much i find a strong feeling of attachement to the Virgin Mary and i like making the cross and the whole liturgy and thing like that. But it seem catholics have became so modernized that they lost all this mystic thing. plus i rarely see practicing catholics

Sikhism: One of the best religions and the best teachings only problem i have is that you cant shave your armpit and pubic hair as a sikh and i have hair in horror especially in those parts

So i would like a response from maybe represantatives of each of those faiths if possible or maybe converts telling me how these religions made them find peace

Hello Romanian, if I can call you that :)

To be straight forward with you, although some members may disagree, I think the way you are approaching the subject is wrong.

The first thing I noticed is the word "choose". The next thing is labeling some religions as interesting. I am against the approach for the reason that I believe in the search for a religion, we are searching for the truth. I believe that we are the ones that should change to adapt ourselves for the truth, the truth will not change to fit us.

As such, I would advise you to start searching things objectively. Use logic. Be ready to challenge your beliefs to find the truth. Also remember, that some times, the heart plays an important role. Be sure to feel the truth.

Finally, the most important thing, is to ask God for guidance :D

I hope I didn't bother you anywhere in my answer :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Hm. I don't know if I'd be too much help. I practice Catholicism as an adult for four years and loved it intensely. I have pagan practices but my faith, practice, and morals are all Buddhist. That's if I were to split up my life in labels.

A little about Catholicism, though. Ima try to compare it to Muslim but I only knew a couple Muslims that taught me some of the Quran and we have Muslims at our school that pray in the same prayer room I do...anyway...

You know how Muslims have prayers more than twice a day? (Five times I think?) They have this strict inner devotion in their body language and submission to their god that I don't see that (no offense to protestants) but in my opinion, in any protestant that I have met my whole life. I've only see that same type of devotion from a Catholic as I do in Muslim.

I say that because Catholicism is a liturgical faith, true and Mass and the sacraments are extremely important. However, I'd erge you (from an objective perspective) to go to a Church and just talk to god alone. Go to the Virgin Mary (I used to. She helped me a bit more given I was raised single parent and don't understand "father figure") and give her your concerns etc.

I mean, I do understand that many Churches have become modernized and I wish you were over here because we have more than a boat load of practicing Catholics; but, Catholicism really isn't about "finding the right Church" or "finding the perfect Catholic." It's more, whatever Church you go to, you have a specific and intimate relationship with the Eucharist not specifically the Church (in general). Spending time with the Eucharist or Jesus or god (however you term it) is the mark of Catholicism. So, if you wanted to go with that, I'd put aside a bit about lack of Catholics and modern Churches. The point is you are being in union with the body of Christ.

Basically, all the differences vanish. You don't think about "I'm drinking from the same cup as someone else" because that isn't important as the union between the Church and the sacrament itself.

So, long story short, sorry, that's what I'd do, go to the Church alone and spend time with Christ. See if that is something you're pulled to not interested in. I'm interested in Hinduism, some forms of polytheistic Paganism, parts of Islam, and a bit of Witch (no pun) too. That's not spirituality, though (like the post above). It's something you are pulled to. It's something that even though it is different, foreign, or something you don't care for in part, it's something that you want to be committed to regardless. Religion is a commitment like a marriage rather than a hobby or eclectic interest.​

So, I'd watch for that because that can make you kinda confused.

:leafwind:

Buddhism has "gods" (with an -s) in it but the gods are on the same level as us listening to the Law of the Buddha. So, the type of relationship a Muslim, Christian, or Jew (which maybe look into-Judaism?) with god is different than how a Buddhist sees our gods. It's a reflection of the Buddha's wisdom. So, if you're still pulled to god, I'd ask what is the nature of the god you are pulled to? Who is he? How do you define him? (her? it?)

Also, it could be that you are still into Muslim but struggling with your faith. That's healthy. Maybe talk to a trusted Muslim or elder in their community or Mosque and get some insight. Catholic priests are nice here but I notice that's not the case everywhere. Maybe find a priest to talk with too and get a feel if he is objective. I have talked with objective priest who do not sentence you to hell for saying a "Church-sin".

You have a lot of options. Maybe talk with Jews. I haven't met anyone who is Jewish and only went to their house of worship once but wasn't allowed to enter because they were praying. The way their devotion is reminds me more of Muslim than Catholic, to tell you honestly. Probably is because they say prayers in their native language just as Muslims where Catholics kind of lost that Latin in their Mass.

Anyway, I can go on about religion. These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Nam.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Bun veniti,

It sounds as though you are limiting yourself. Perhaps explore some Paganism or Zoroastrianism or even just Deism. Figure out what you really believe and maybe try a few online quizzes even, just to point you in a direction. What are your social ideals? Your sexuality, your politics? These things can all play a huge part in your faith.

Also, I think Vaisnavism might be for you.

You can always incorporate a God into Buddhism too.

:)

JesusBeliever

Hi Romanianseekingtruth,

My name says it all. I recommend reading the gospel of John in the New Testament of the Bible which speaks of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. The story of the Bible is all about re-establishing our relationship with our Creator, each individually. It promises that we can all know Him and walk with Him in this lifetime. It promises that He will teach us each individually and personally. It says that you will seek Him and find Him when you seek Him with your whole heart. This is the good news of the Bible. We don't have to walk through this life alone. We can personally know and walk with the one who created us.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I'm a Saivite, practicing Saivism. (In Canada too) You don't have to be born Hindu. You worship Him at home, in temples, with puja, and see Him everywhere. I'm a Monist, but not a monotheist, so the two concepts differ.

I would recommend excluding Saivism from your search as I suspect it would just lead to confusion for you. The paradigms of the various faiths you gave are so diverse and different you would just run into too many contradictions to be healthy.

Why not take a retreat from the decision making process and decide on some very fundamentals first, using your own gut and not books, or other people trying to convince you of their way ... like ... heaven/hell, or reincarnation ... a prophet is necessary, or not necessary. Then you'd easily be able to eliminate some of these.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Hiya @Romanianseekingtruth .... welcome to Canada and RF, both. I am a devout atheist who has had what could be described as a considerable amount of "spiritual" experience. Take it from an old fossil, like me, don't confine your belief to any one group unless you feel a distinct need for companionship. Religion is an artificial barrier between you and your vision of god. Take away the barrier and what is left? You and your vision of god. Personally speaking, I'd avoid Islam, like the plague and your depression should be all the encouragement you need to take my advice.

If you insist that you must follow a given religion do what others here have said and examine first what you really believe and what is important to you, then, and only then, compare that list with what the different religions you are attracted to you have to say. If you are clear on what is important to you, no matter what other people think, it will help you to arrive at the proper answers. I'll go with a shameless plug for no religion at all. There is nothing wrong with making stuff up as you go. That's all the religions have done anyways, they've just been at it much longer. I do hope this helps.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That's very astute, and I agree. It sure beats the person who beats around the bush, but is still out to persuade. It takes so much longer to figure it out.
As they say, “If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshyt.” ― W.C. Fields

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What makes you think any religion finds you peace? ;0)

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Hello ! i am very confused about religion nowdays. I am a Romanian of 19 years old and i live in Canada . ........

-Ahmadiyya Muslims .......So i would like a response from maybe represantatives of each of those faiths if possible or maybe converts telling me how these religions made them find peace
Peace be on you. Welcome.
1= Holy Quran [24:56] Allah has promised to those among you who believe and do good works that He will surely make them Successors in the earth, as He made Successors (from among) those who were before them; and that He will surely establish for them their religion which He has chosen for them; and that He will surely give them in exchange security (and peace) after their fear: They will worship Me, (and) they will not associate anything with Me. Then whoso is ungrateful after that, they will be the rebellious.

It has been prophesied in Islam that latter days' weakness would happen and Allah would send a servant of Holy Prophet (sa) for peaceful revival......According to Ahmadiyya Muslims, the Promised Man was sent and began the peaceful moral and spiritual process in 1889. After him , Khilafat continues his peace mission.......True Khilafat is uniquely supported by Allah and it establishes peace by His grace.

Ahmadiyya International Bai'at / Bait / BAY'AH (Pledge)
alislam.org
International+Bait+overhead.jpg

2=Please check if you can find satisfaction at Romanian site
http://www.ahmadia.ro

3=You are welcome at
http://www.religiousforums.com/forums/ahmadiyya-dir.327/

EDITED due to post 16

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
1=Ahmadiyya International Bait (Pledge)
Given the common English meaning of the word bait, this is unintentionally hilarious. No doubt other branches out Islam would agree with the common English meaning. :) So... if the prospective person converts the Ahmadiyya variant of Islam I guess we could call that "bait and switch".:D (I don't mean this to be disrespectful. It's just so ironic.) :D

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Given the common English meaning of the word bait, this is unintentionally hilarious. No doubt other branches out Islam would agree with the common English meaning. :) So... if the prospective person converts the Ahmadiyya variant of Islam I guess we could call that "bait and switch".:D (I don't mean this to be disrespectful. It's just so ironic.) :D
Peace be on you.
Interesting observation!
The better transliteration is
Bay'ah (Ahmadiyya) @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay'ah_(Ahmadiyya)

[added an edit above]

Last edited:

Acim

Revelation all the time

Being spiritual, I agree that such a pursuit helps in finding, retaining Peace.
Being formally religious, I understand the hesitation in choosing one, over another.

I would say choose them all. Still get to be a seeker, still get to appreciate what is good about the rest, and still get to maintain healthy skepticism around things that don't line up with your understandings.

Personally, if a religion has outer requirements regarding how to physically live, I would take that as warning sign that it is probably not a religion to put all your eggs into their basket. Doesn't mean you can't still utilize the teachings in your own way for your pursuit of peace and happiness.

yiostheoy

The Virgin Mary is the Queen of the Apostles.

Hello Thank you all for your responses ! Carlitza wow that was an amazing explanation ! I actually read the Bibles and Cathechism multiple times and find that Catholicism is more correct to me according to Protestants since not everything is in the Bible (Tradition)
Rival i did indeed study those religions (well deism is not a religion per se but anyways) i read the Avesta and it didnt really attract me especially the stripping with the aspahe astra etc for killing a dog or corrupting water

Lol Uncung i think your knowledge of both these sects is limited (no offense).

YmirGF i understand your point of view the only thing is that i feel the need to have like a community and like minded people. but just curious why isnt Islam good according to you ?

DawudTalut yes i know about Ahmadiyya i read much about it the only thing is i feel it is really ethnically homogenous

Roger1440 hahahahahahahahaha amazing response that was so funny :,)