• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should A Movie Be?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I rather like Amélie, certainly not American.

And les visiteurs, a french film so good that america did a remake.

And les Intouchables, also made into a US movie the upside.

I tend to prefer British films, less superheroes generally. Recently saw The Duke. Excellent imo, but then it does star Jim Broadbent and Helen Mirren.
Spoiler trailer:

Heyo

Veteran Member
I rather like Amélie, certainly not American.

And les visiteurs, a french film so good that america did a remake.

And les Intouchables, also made into a US movie the upside.
Also "Nikita" and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".
Also worth mentioning (but didn't get remade): "Subway" and "Diva".
Everything Luc Besson did away from Holywood (and some he did in Holywood).
Everything Isabelle Adjani appears in (not done in Holywood).

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I like any movie with sex and (female) nudity. I just watched (again) "Sirens", the one with Hugh Grant, set in Australia. Really good. I think there was a story too, I'll have to check the reviews.

HonestJoe

Watching a BBC documentary about "The Godfather",
I'm struck by how many commentators call it the greatest
movie ever, but criticize it for not telling more stories about
more characters in it. Some want it to be more about the
women in it...flesh out their stories...provide gender equality.
Criminy...it's only 175 minutes long.
Are you sure they were actually criticising the film and not just highlighting how it is a product of it's time and genre? Remember that documentaries like this often edit the talking-head interviews to make them appear more dramatic and extreme that they actually are.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I like any movie with sex and (female) nudity. I just watched (again) "Sirens", the one with Hugh Grant, set in Australia. Really good. I think there was a story too, I'll have to check the reviews.
Just checked Rotten Tomatoes and there wasn't a story ;)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think the movie was quite profound, since it is about art. It is about the fact that nudity in general is not dirty, but is the celebration of beauty, and that is an ideal that we can see in Titian's Venus, or in Botticelli's Venus.
As for Goya, the Maya desnuda represents spirituality. It is the Maya vestida that represents "lust or sensuousness".
It is also about the Victorian hypocrisy...still there, of the Anglican priest speaking of sex as something dirty....whereas he is the first to fantasize about those women.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What Should A Movie Be?
Entertaining....that is all.

Getting two people to agree on what the greatest movie is...bout as easy to get to people to agree on the greatest food or greatest drink......
God help me because I agree with you.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Watching a BBC documentary about "The Godfather",
I'm struck by how many commentators call it the greatest
movie ever, but criticize it for not telling more stories about
more characters in it. Some want it to be more about the
women in it...flesh out their stories...provide gender equality.
Criminy...it's only 175 minutes long.

A movie should be entertaining. If I am entertained, I don't feel a need to look for anything deeper.

The movie is fictional, so I don't care about any societal messages/meanings as I see these as fictional too.
You can craft whatever narrative you to imply some moral message which need have nothing to do with reality.

Movies are good. Some are really good. But none of them are "great"...

Ancient Greek culture was 'great'. The Roman Empire was 'great'. The pyramids at Giza are 'great'. The story of Christ is 'great'.

"The Godfather" is just a very good/popular motion picture.

Strange comparisons.

"These are really great pork chops".
Huh? They are good pork chops, perhaps even very good, but they're not exactly the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are they? Now they were great. :D

PureX

Veteran Member
Strange comparisons.

"These are really great pork chops".
Huh? They are good pork chops, perhaps even very good, but they're not exactly the Hanging Gardens of Babylon are they? Now they were great. :D
Yes. A 100 years of industrial strength commercial advertising has made absurd hyperbole absurdly commonplace. When a pork chop is "great", what does it even mean to call a thousand plus year old wall 1,000 miles long, in China, "great"?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Are you sure they were actually criticising the film and not just highlighting how it is a product of it's time and genre?
That was the impression I had.
Some stories just aren't about both genders....
The Godfather.
Sisterhood of the traveling pants.
Conan The Barbarian.
Fried Green Tomatoes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A movie should be entertaining. If I am entertained, I don't feel a need to look for anything deeper.

The movie is fictional, so I don't care about any societal messages/meanings as I see these as fictional too.
You can craft whatever narrative you to imply some moral message which need have nothing to do with reality.
I like movies for a variety of reasons.
Entertainment is the biggest.
Being inspired is good too.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
In a word, the movie has to be engaging.

It has to take me into another world, make me feel things, make me care what happens to the characters.