• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Should A Movie Be?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Watching a BBC documentary about "The Godfather",
I'm struck by how many commentators call it the greatest
movie ever, but criticize it for not telling more stories about
more characters in it. Some want it to be more about the
women in it...flesh out their stories...provide gender equality.
Criminy...it's only 175 minutes long.

pearl

Maybe its time for a prequel.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
As Meg Ryan said, I say: what is it with men and the Godfather?

Ah...and btw I like You Got Mail better...:p

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, they did leave some loose ends in that movie, such as the scene at Loui's Restaurant in the Bronx. They must have had a big mess to clean up after the shooting, and they didn't show that at all. And Michael skipped out without paying the check.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Surprisingly, there isn't unanimity about the greatest
or the worst movies or TV shows of all time.

This list doesn't even include Aliens, Gattaca, or
Terminator 2. Go figure.
Top 100 Greatest Movies of All Time (The Ultimate List) - IMDb

I'd guess, rather like me, the only list that matters to you is the Top 100 Greatest Movies Enjoyed By Revoltingest. The list compiler seems not to appreciate there is a difference between subjective and objective:
"The movies on this list are ranked according to their success (awards & nominations), their popularity, and their cinematic greatness from a directing/writing perspective. To me, accuracy when making a Top 10/Top 100 all time list is extremely important. My lists are not based on my own personal favorites; they are based on the true greatness and/or success of the person, place or thing being ranked. In other words, a film's commercial success (Oscars & BAFTA Awards), and greatness in direction, screenwriting and production, is how I ranked the films on this list."

Gone with the Wind? Really? I'd rather gouge my own eyes out.
Could that version of Wuthering Heights look more ridiculous? The dresses make it look like it was set in Texas, not the West Yorkshire Moors.

However, there is a particular TV critic in a well-known publication that I find rather helpful based on my past experience. If she raves about something it's probably best I avoid it and if she slates something it'll be worth me checking out. Critics can be useful sometimes.

Last edited:

Erebus

"I want more" is one of the best compliments you can give to a creator in my opinion.

At the same time though, more isn't always better. Sometimes a creator feels that they've said all they wanted to say.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
What Should A Movie Be?
Entertaining....that is all.

Getting two people to agree on what the greatest movie is...bout as easy to get to people to agree on the greatest food or greatest drink......

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Im not particularly into movies so i wasn't going to comment on this thread but...

A movie has just been on TV, i didn't watch it but 3 out of 4 the of the cats that live indoors were rivited and watched Fantastic Mr Fox all the way through.

That has got to deserve a mention ot it can capture the attention of cats so intensely

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Im not particularly into movies so i wasn't going to comment on this thread but...

A movie has just been on TV, i didn't watch it but 3 out of 4 the of the cats that live indoors were rivited and watched Fantastic Mr Fox all the way through.

That has got to deserve a mention ot it can capture the attention of cats so intensely
If we're watching something and there's some bird tweeting noise on it then one of our cats immediately goes into his death stare mode.

PureX

Veteran Member
Movies are good. Some are really good. But none of them are "great".

Ancient Greek culture was 'great'. The Roman Empire was 'great'. The pyramids at Giza are 'great'. The story of Christ is 'great'.

"The Godfather" is just a very good/popular motion picture.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If we're watching something and there's some bird tweeting noise on it then one of our cats immediately goes into his death stare mode.

Many years ago we had a crt tv that our then cat lay on, often popping her head over to see the screen. One time was a distant shot of an eagle, she was fascinated. It got closer, she tensed to pounce. It flew right up to the camera.

The cat never lay on that TB again.