• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Sexual Activities Are OK with God in Marriage?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I will have to disagree with @Skwim 's answer. One important part of sex is informed consent. Children are judged not able to enter into informed consent. The spaniel, even more so. Sorry, until someone breeds an intelligent spaniel you are out of luck.
If a spaniel willingly initiates a sexual act and performs the act while unrestrained and able to walk away at any time, could that not be construed as consent?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So why is an intellectual understanding a necessary condition, especially if the animal's a willing participant, and enjoying himself?
People do all kinds of things with their animals, without their understanding or consent, and no-one raises an eyebrow.

<<No flaming, please. Am not a zo-ophile, just a devil's advocate, exploring a moral principle.>>

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So why is an intellectual understanding a necessary condition, especially if the animal's a willing participant, and enjoying himself?
People do all kinds of things with their animals, without their understanding or consent, and no-one raises an eyebrow.

<<No flaming, please. Am not a zo-ophile, just a devil's advocate, exploring a moral principle.>>
It is a valid question. The reasons are not quite the same for animals. I do have to admit that. For example a child may not have informed consent now, but it will be able to form conformed consent later and it is more than likely that a child looking back on such activity would say no. I will have to think about it more for the animals case.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Declawing my cat -- cruel.
Clipping her claws every couple weeks -- OK?
Neither understanding nor consent either way, and both forced on her against her will.
So how do we unpack that, morally?

Segev Moran

OR, What's Wrong With Too Many of God's Self Appointed Spokespeople?

I can tell you for a fact that what you have just done here is surely not respective in any way.
putting aside that sweet girl, i would say the first thing should be the person you are with and not what god wants you to do in bed.

I'll even take it a step forward and claim that god doesn't really care what you do, but rather why you do it and what is the impact of your doing on the person you are with.

So.. no, treating your wife as a sexual puppet will be wrong for example.
Forcing your wife to do things she doesn't want to, will be wrong.
In short... doing things you wouldn't want your daughter doing with her boyfriend, will probably be wrong.
(If you don't have a daughter, just change it to a girl you really really love and care about and have nothing but the will to make her life better)

The list is longer but i bet you have a clear understanding what you should and should not do with your wife in your intimate times.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Skwim

Veteran Member
I can tell you for a fact that what you have just done here is surely not respective ["respectful"?] in any way.
putting aside that sweet girl, i would say the first thing should be the person you are with and not what god wants you to do in bed.

I'll even take it a step forward and claim that god doesn't really care what you do, but rather why you do it and what is the impact of your doing on the person you are with.
Well, if you believe the Bible is god's word god does indeed care what everyone does in bed.

Segev Moran

Well, if you believe the Bible is god's word god does indeed care what everyone does in bed.
Lol... Yep.. Respectful was the word i should have used :)
Can you show me where it is written that god finds interest in what we do in bed?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Lol... Yep.. Respectful was the word i should have used :)
Can you show me where it is written that god finds interest in what we do in bed?
Of course "what everyone does in bed" was only meant figuratively. It's a term for sexual practices, and for some reason god really cares about them.

Galatians 5:19
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;

Hebrews 13:4
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

Exodus 20:14
“You shall not commit adultery.

Leviticus 20:13
If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Romans 1:24-27
Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

Exodus 22:19
“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

Leviticus 18:23
And you shall not lie with any animal and so make yourself unclean with it, neither shall any woman give herself to an animal to lie with it: it is perversion.

Strangely absent is any mention of oral and anal sex between men and women.