1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what scriptures in the Old Testament would you recommend on understanding the nature of a woman?

Discussion in 'Religions Q&A' started by sense12, Jun 13, 2018.

1. sense12

sense12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    eve in genesis is an area of the bible a lot of people point to as an example of a woman's nature.i was wondering if there is any more information in the old testament regarding a woman's nature

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Student People Stabber

Ratings:
    +38,929
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Instead of turning to a book of ancient mythologies written by men I would go ask women about the nature women. As for the OT, you won't find anything.

• Winner Winner x 6
  3. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,932
    Religion:
    Christian
    Probably something in the Songs of Solomon. King Solomon was quite a goer, you know what I mean? Nudge, Nudge, Wink ,Wink. Say no more.

4. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,050
    Religion:
    Humanist
    "What scriptures in the Old Testament would you recommend on understanding the nature of a woman?"

None!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Avoice1C

Avoice1C the means are the ends

Ratings:
    +15
    Religion:
    Christian
    Two places you can look: The entire 31st Psalm and Isaiah 25: 3-42 which is the story of a woman married to a really selfish man.

• Like Like x 1
  6. outlawState

outlawState Deism is dead

Ratings:
    +82
    Religion:
    Universal Protestant
  7. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,255
    Religion:
    Atheist
    None, unless you are fond of thinking of them as property.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +20,638
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    First thing that popped into my mind was the Book of Ruth.

9. Avoice1C

Ratings:
    +15
    Religion:
    Christian
    I Erred in my haste. The entire 31st chapter of Proverbs not Psalms.

10. Patrick Miron

Patrick Miron Patrick4Jesus

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Do a WORD search on "mystery"

I'll be married 51 years in a couple of weeks; STILL don't understand her; BUT LOVE her beyond words.

This once sorta encapsulates what your asking:;):)

"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, a wisdom which is hidden, which God ordained before the world, unto our glory:"[1 Corinthians 2:7

11. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,255
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I suggest some good psychology books

12. Avoice1C

Ratings:
    +15
    Religion:
    Christian
    1Sa_25:3 Now the name of the man was Nabal; and the name of his wife Abigail: and she was a woman of good understanding, and of a beautiful countenance: but the man was churlish and evil in his doings; and he was of the house of Caleb.

Abigail disobeyed her husband in the case of common courtesy toward David and his men.

Below are scriptures from Proverbs 31 which is almost totally about the good woman.
    Pro_31:11 ב Her husband trusts her from his heart, and she will prove a great asset to him.
    Pro_31:12 ג She works to bring him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
    Pro_31:13 ד She procures a supply of wool and flax and works with willing hands.
    Pro_31:14 ה She is like those merchant vessels, bringing her food from far away.
    Pro_31:15 ו It's still dark when she rises to give food to her household and orders to the young women serving her.
    Pro_31:16 ז She considers a field, then buys it, and from her earnings she plants a vineyard.
    Pro_31:17 ח She gathers her strength around her and throws herself into her work.
    Pro_31:18 ט She sees that her business affairs go well; her lamp stays lit at night.
    Pro_31:19 י She puts her hands to the staff with the flax; her fingers hold the spinning rod.
    Pro_31:20 כ She reaches out to embrace the poor and opens her arms to the needy.
    Pro_31:21 ל When it snows, she has no fear for her household; since all of them are doubly clothed.
    Pro_31:22 מ She makes her own quilts; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
    Pro_31:24 ס She makes linen garments and sells them; she supplies the merchants with sashes.
    Pro_31:25 ע Clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come.
    Pro_31:26 פ When she opens her mouth, she speaks wisely; on her tongue is loving instruction.
    Pro_31:27 צ She watches how things go in her house, not eating the bread of idleness.
    Pro_31:31 ת Give her a share in what she produces; let her works speak her praises at the city gates.

Her husband does not interfere with her work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Patrick Miron

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    WOW! lots of good effort here,

Thank you

14. sense12

sense12 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for your effort i appreciate it

15. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,864
    Religion:
    Judaism
    The Bible doesn't attempt to nail down the nature of a woman. God made us the greatest mysteries in the universe.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Patrick Miron

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Read Luke Chapter ONE in its entirety; carefully and prayerfully

May God lead our Life paths,
    Patrick

17. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Ratings:
    +3,864
    Religion:
    Judaism
    You don't think it's talking about specific women?

Shalom aleichem.

18. Baladas

Baladas An Págánach

Ratings:
    +1,122
    Religion:
    Eclectic Polytheism
    None. The Old Testament/Tanakh is one of the last places that I would recommend looking.

This.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Patrick Miron

Ratings:
    +21
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Luke Chapter 1

[26] And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, [27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. [28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. [29] Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be. [30] And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God.

[31] Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus. [32] He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. [33] And of his kingdom there shall be no end. [34] And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? [35] And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God

[46] And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord. [47] And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. [48] Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

56] And Mary abode with her about three months; and she returned to her own house

Yes my friend, and so should you;

Peace & love
    Patrick

20. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Ratings:
    +3,768
    Religion:
    Judaism
    There is sometimes a thin line that separates discussion from proselytizing. Your post crosses that line, at least as I see it.

Proselytizing is against forum rules.

#20 RabbiO, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018