• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What say the scriptures?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
This is definitely metaphor. No one ver buries a dead body in water except at sea.:

Rom 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
Did Paul give this as a purpose for baptism? You're inferring a stretch as Paul didn't state that.

Further on down the chapter Paul goes on to speak about baptism
Romans 6:5-7 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. [6] For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--- [7] because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

Just because he's not saying these things are physical, the spiritual reality still exists, the automatic default is not a commemoration. Galatians 2:20, 2 Corinthians 5:17. At some point these are true in ther own right and are not just pointing to something else, as it is in Romans 6.

But, are you then saying that no one in the Bible ever stated "explicitly" why to get baptized, and we are left no recourse but simply to guess as to what Romans 6:4 might mean?

I would find it a whopper that no one in the Bible would issue a black and white statement on why to get baptized in Jesus's name. That they would leave us to have to guess the purpose on our own.
It's much more likely that those who believe a certain way about baptism would do everything possible to avoid the scriptures that explicitly state its purpose, because they contradict said belief.

Last edited:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
0. The following below is still the way I perceive it but inclusive of verses. You might want to find a bishop with good report among his congregation "which is spoken about in 1 Timothy Chapter 3" for the insight you are looking for.

1. Remission of Sins; Cleansing the temple "body", allowing you to receive and be led by the spirit of Lord God and be joined unto Lord God

Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Mar 1:8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Heb 12:9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

2. Baptism of Jesus is inclusive of John's baptism because God anointed Christ with Holy Ghost and Power along with sending him in his name / authority. Essentially, Turning back to God is inclusive in accepting his anointed "Passover lamb ; sin remission" and receiving his Holy Spirit.

Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Sorry for my late reply. I got a chance now to go over the scriptures you cited. Among all of them John 3:5 is the only one that makes reference to what would later be baptism in Jesus's name, since at the time Jesus stated John 3:5, He had not yet commanded it. That began at the great commission Matthew 28:19. And as you said it was for cleansing and remission of sins, but John 3:5 did not make a direct reference to that. But being born again and remission of sins go together, so yeah.
Unfortunately, none of the other verses you provided said any about baptism in Jesus's name.

And there were no scriptures for your first answer that baptism in Jesus's name is a representation and conviction of receiving the Anointed of God and that it represents spiritual cleansing.

I can sumbit to the list that I'm compiling, submitted by others, John 3:5 one purposes for baptism in Jesus's name is to be born again, if you wish.

Iymus

Among all of them John 3:5 is the only one that makes reference to what would later be baptism in Jesus's name, since at the time Jesus stated John 3:5, He had not yet commanded it.

1. Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
---------------
Unfortunately, none of the other verses you provided said any about baptism in Jesus's name.

And there were no scriptures for your first answer that baptism in Jesus's name is a representation and conviction of receiving the Anointed of God and that it represents spiritual cleansing.

2. Perceived connecting dots and concepts that agree in one and compliment each other. But I will not say that you are wrong neither will i say that I am right.
------------------

I can sumbit to the list that I'm compiling, submitted by others, John 3:5 one purposes for baptism in Jesus's name is to be born again, if you wish.

3. I have no wish in this regard.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
1. Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Not sure if this verse applies given the context of Col 2:17, but I would agree that John 3:5 was speaking of the future, if that's where you were coming from.

2. Perceived connecting dots and concepts that agree in one and compliment each other. But I will not say that you are wrong neither will i say that I am right.
I got that, yes. But the OP and my request is the "written" purpose of baptism in Jesus's name, explicitly stated, not inferred. The passage would have to mention baptism (after John's baptism) in the text.

3. I have no wish in this regard.
Ok, np.

Last edited: