• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religions recommend carrying a weapon?

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
I would like to compile a list of religions/scriptures that recommend the carrying of some sort of physical weapon. What I have so far is:

Christianity - Luke 22:36
Asatru/Germanic/Norse - Havamal verse 38
Sikhism (specifically the Khalsa order of the Sikh) - I could use help on where it is written.

Others?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
The only weapon recommended by any form of Buddhism that I am aware of is the mind.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
I don't know if any particular Hindu scripture calls for carrying of arms, but all Hindu dieties carry arms.

SadhSangat

Medic!
Only when all other methods fail (to achieve righteousness), it is proper to hold the sword in hand. (zafarnamah. 22) ਚੂੰ ਕਾਰ ਅਜ਼ ਹਮਾ ਹੀਲ ਤੇ ਦਰਗੁਜ਼ਸ਼ਤ॥ ਹਲਾਲ ਅਸਤ ਬੁਰਦਨ ਬ-ਸ਼ਮਸ਼ੀਰ ਦਸਤ॥
Zafarnamah is a religous script we hold dear to us.

We start our morning prayers with ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮ ਭਗੌਤੀ ਸਿਮਰ ਕੇ , First remember the name of the sword.
When we say what is the equvilent of "amen" ਦੇਗ ਤੇਗ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ॥ It means may the sword stay sharp.

Finally
The destroyer of the cobwebs of Nescience,
Decimator of the hosts of Evil,
Hero of the Final Battle,
The Mighty one !
Of invincible might,
The Nova of blinding Light,
Invested with solar Effulgence,
The Refuge of the good and the godly,
The Dispeller of Misknowing,
Expiator of Sin,
Of that pure steel Sword I seek protection.
Hail, hail to Thee, the ultimate Cause of Creation !
Hail, hail to Thee, the Sustainer and Protector of the Universes,
Hail to thee, my helper and support
Glory is to the Sword !
Praise to the sharp-edged Emblem of
Justice, Authority and Power.
ਖੱਗ ਖੰਡ ਬਿਹੰਡੰ ਖਲ ਦਲ ਖੰਡੰ ਅਤਿ ਰਣ ਮੰਡੰ ਬਰਬੰਡੰ॥
ਭੁਜ ਦੰਡ ਅਖੰਡੰ ਤੇਜ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਅਮੰਡੰ ਭਾਨ ਪ੍ਰਭੰ॥
ਸੁਖ ਸੰਤਾਂ ਕਰਣੰ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਦਰਣੰ ਕਿਲਬਿਖ ਹਰਣੰ ਅਸ ਸਰਣੰ॥
ਜੈ ਜੈ ਜਗ ਕਾਰਣ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟ ਉਬਾਰਣ ਮਮ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਣ ਜੈ ਤੇਗੰ॥

DarkSun

:eltiT
I would like to compile a list of religions/scriptures that recommend the carrying of some sort of physical weapon. What I have so far is:

Christianity - Luke 22:36
Asatru/Germanic/Norse - Havamal verse 38
Sikhism (specifically the Khalsa order of the Sikh) - I could use help on where it is written.

Others?

Define: "religion".
If you define religion as a set of beliefs, then a lot of them do. But if by 'religion', you mean things like Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism or Hinduism... then none of them do, that I'm aware.

BruceDLimber

The Baha'i Faith prohibits it unless one's job requires it.

(Hunting is an exception, BTW, as it's permitted.)

Peace,

Bruce

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
I disagree with Christianity being one.

A Brief Explanation of the Sword in Luke 22:36

That summary may help put the verse in a more accurate context.

I understand your disagreement with Christianity being one and do not mean an offense. I have read and spoken with people who share a fairly similar view as yourself and the link you posted. I also know of others who view it differently. Those who view it differently believe that to carry a weapon and not use it shows you have the strength (spiritual/moral) to be a follower of Jesus (turn the other cheek) and not appear to be a victim (as an unarmed person might be perceived if so provoked). They go on with the "two is enough" is to say that they need not spend more as it is a show of strength not the amount that is important. That would make him going with the guards at the garden more "by choice" than by no other option. Jesus was pretty clear about the live-by-the-sword-die-by-the-sword idea, but I agree with others when thinking that he also said to own/have one. Otherwise when they said "we have two" he might have said something like 'no, not that kind of sword' or something like that instead of letting them believe that they were doing what he said to do. I suspect it is just one of those areas that are open to interpretation.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Define: "religion".
If you define religion as a set of beliefs, then a lot of them do. But if by 'religion', you mean things like Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism or Hinduism... then none of them do, that I'm aware.
That is pretty much what I mean in this case.

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Zafarnamah is a religous script we hold dear to us.
SadhSangat Ji,
Thank you for your reply. I am embarrassed to admit that I was unaware of the Zafarnamah. Most of my studies revolve around the Sri Guru Granth Sahib and some of the (min) biographies of the Gurus. You have pointed me toward something new to look into. :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Tenth Nanak s POWERFUL Compostion for Warrior Spirit

Shastar Nam Mala ( Praise of Weapons ,the Rosary of the Names of weapons)

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਮ ਮਾਲਾ
SHASTRA NaaM MaaLaa
SHATRA NAM MALA
Page Line 1

ੴ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ॥
The Lord is One and the Victory is of the True Guru.
Page Line 2

ਅਥ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਨਾਮ ਮਾਲਾ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਲਿਖਯਤੇ ॥
Shastra-Nama Mala Purana (the Rosary of the Names of weapons) is now composed
Page Line 3

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਸਹਾਇ ॥ ਪਾਤਿਸ਼ਾਹੀ ॥੧੦॥
With the support of the primal power by the Tenth King.
Page Line 4

ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥
Page Line 5

ਸਾਂਗ ਸਰੋਹੀ ਸੈਫ ਅਸ ਤੀਰ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਲਵਾਰ ॥ ਸੱਤ੍ਰਾਂਤਕ ਕਵਚਾਂਤਿ ਕਰ ਕਰੀਐ ਰੱਛ ਹਮਾਰ ॥੧॥
O Lord ! Protect us by creating Saang, Sarohi, Saif (Sword), As, Teer (arrow) tupak (gun), Talwaar (sword), and other weapons and armours causing the destruction of the enemies.1.
Page Line 6

ਅਸ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਧਾਰਾਧਰੀ ਸੈਲ ਸੂਫ ਜਮਦਾਢ ॥ ਕਵਚਾਂਤਕ ਸੱਤ੍ਰਾਂਤ ਕਰ ਤੇਗ ਤੀਰ ਧਰਬਾਢ ॥੨॥
O Lord ! Create As, Kripan (sword), Dharaddhari, Sail, Soof, Jamaadh, Tegh (saber), Teer (saber), Teer (arrow), Talwar(sward), causing the destruction of armours and enemies.2.
Page Line 7

ਅਸ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ਖੰਡੋ ਖੜਗ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਬਰ ਅਰੁ ਤੀਰ ॥ ਸੈਫ ਸਰੋਹੀ ਸੈਹਥੀ ਯਹੈ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਪੀਰ ॥੩॥
As, Kripan (sword), Khanda, Khadag (sword), Tupak (gun), Tabar (hatched), Teer (arrow), Saif (sword), Sarohi and Saihathi, all these are our adorable seniors.3.
Page Line 8

ਤੀਰ ਤੁਹੀ ਸੈਹਥੀ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੁਹੀ ਤਬਰ ਤਲਵਾਰ ॥ ਨਾਮ ਤਿਹਾਰੋ ਜੋ ਜਪੈ ਭਏ ਸਿੰਧ ਭਵ ਪਾਰ ॥੪॥
Thou are the Teer (arrow), Thou are Saihathi, Thou art Tabar (hatchet), and Talwaar (sword); he, who remembers Thy Name crosses the dreadful ocean of existence.4.
Page Line 9

ਕਾਲ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਾਲੀ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੇਗ ਅਰੁ ਤੀਰ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨੀ ਜੀਤ ਕੀ ਆਜੁ ਤੁਹੀ ਜਗਬੀਰ ॥੫॥
Thou art the KAL (death), thou art the goddess Kali, Thou art the saber and arrow, Thou art the sign of victory today and Thou art the Hero of the world.5.
Page Line 10

ਤੁਹੀ ਸੂਲ ਸੈਹਥੀ ਤਬਰ ਤੂੰ ਨਿਖੰਗ ਅਰੁ ਬਾਨ ॥ ਤੁਹੀ ਕਟਾਰੀ ਸੇਲ ਸਭ ਤੁਮਹੀ ਕਰਦ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ॥੬॥
Thou art the Sool (spike), Saihathi and Tabar (hatched), Thou art the Nikhang and Baan (arrow), Thou art the Kataari, Sel, and all and Thou art the Kard (knife), and Kripaan (sword).6.
Page Line 11

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਅਸਤ੍ਰ ਤੁਮਹੀ ਸਿਪਰ ਤੁਮਹੀ ਕਵਚ ਨਿਖੰਗ ॥ ਕਵਚਾਂਤਕ ਤੁਮਹੀ ਬਨੇ ਤੁਮ ਬਯਾਪਕ ਸਰਬੰਗ ॥੭॥
Thou art the arms and weapons, Thou art the Nikhang (quiver), and the Kavach (armour); Thou art the destroyer of the armours and Thou art also all pervading.7.
Page Line 12

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਤੂੰ ਸਭ ਕਾਰਨ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੂੰ ਬਿੱਦਯਾ ਕੋ ਸਾਰ ॥ ਤੁਮ ਸਭ ਕੋ ਉਪਰਾਜਹੀ ਤੁਮਹੀ ਲੇਹੁ ਉਬਾਰ ॥੮॥
Thou art the cause of peace and prosperity and the essence of learning; Thou art the creator of all and the redeemer of all.8.
Page Line 13

ਤੁਮਹੀ ਦਿਨ ਰਜਨੀ ਤੁਹੀ ਤੁਮਹੀ ਜੀਅਨ ਉਪਾਇ ॥ ਕਉਤਕ ਹੇਰਨ ਕੇ ਨਮਿਤ ਤਿਨ ਮੋ ਬਾਦ ਬਢਾਇ ॥੯॥
Thou art the day and night and Thou art the creator of all the Jivas (beings), causing disputes among them; Thou does all this in order to view Thy own sport.9.

Last edited:

SadhSangat

Medic!
The Tenth Master wrote many scripts he persoanally didn't account in the SGGS, because he belived it didn't need it. There are many scripts including the Dasam Granth which we hold as close as SGGS.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I've been told that pacifism is not a Kemetic ideal. That being said, the precepts of Ma'at also do prohibit going out of your way to harm somebody. So I suppose the only violence within Kemetic ethics is defense, or fighting to free people from oppression.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
As an atheist, I'm always armed with knowledge, logic, and a razor sharp tongue, which I regularly use to destroy the enemies of reason.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
SadhSangat Ji,
Thank you for your reply. I am embarrassed to admit that I was unaware of the Zafarnamah. Most of my studies revolve around the Sri Guru Granth Sahib and some of the (min) biographies of the Gurus. You have pointed me toward something new to look into. :)

Hi Wayfarer ji ,

Zafarnama ( Letter of Victory ) another Classic , Powerful Rachna of Tenth Master written in Pershian directed to Mughal empror Aurangjeb , it was written at the Time when Empire by breaking oath Killed all four Sons of Guru along with other Sikhz.

CHUN KAR AZ HAMEH HEELAT-E DAR GUZASHT
HALAL AST BURDAN B-SHAMSHIR DAST

When all the stratagem employed for (solving) a problem are exhausted,
(only) then taking your hand to the sword is legitimate.

Here is Zafarnama in Pdf format , ORIGINAL pershian script ALSO AVAILABLE

http://www.zafarnama.com/Download/zafarnama.pdf

Wahe GURU JI KI FATEH

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Thank you all for sharing, I am better educated for it. :)
...and for the link Gursikh Ji. I have downloaded it and added it to the growing collection. :)

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I disagree with Christianity being one.

A Brief Explanation of the Sword in Luke 22:36

That summary may help put the verse in a more accurate context.

That discussion was poor.

The followers of Jesus carried weapons.
Except for the loss of an ear, at the moment of His arrest, no account of sword play is made.

As for the display of two swords upon His Last Supper table....
It was a clear indication, His disciples expected Him to multiply the swords, as He did the fish and bread for the crowd, at His sermons.
They would then be able, to arm the city over night, and surprise the Romans, the next day.
They thought, 'the kingdom is at hand'.
He said so.
It was also a clear indication, His disciples did not understand.

As for selling your coat and buying a sword....yeah.

I wrote about this years ago...it's in my book.

Picture a man that does so.
Without the means to withstand exposure....
and with a weapon in his hand....
his immediate living is then dependent upon what he can acquire....
with that weapon.

Did you want to take this....physically...in this life?
Or spiritually....in the next life?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In Revoltifarianism, we're always prepared. That includes carrying a weapon. I favor a Glock #22.

Boethiah

Penguin
The Baha'i Faith prohibits it unless one's job requires it.

(Hunting is an exception, BTW, as it's permitted.)

Peace,

Bruce

I actually don't believe there is any scripture that claims that gun ownership is prohibited. Self defense is definitely allowed if ones life is at stake However, this letter from the UHJ may shed some light on the issue.

The National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Canada
Dear Bahá'í Friends,

We have reviewed your letter of April 11th, asking about the teachings of the Faith on self-defense and any guidance on individual conduct in the face of increasing civil disorder in North American cities.

From the texts you already have available it is clear that Bahá'u'lláh has stated that it is preferable to be killed in the path of God's service than to kill, and that organized religious attack against Bahá'ís should never turn into any kind of warfare, as this is strictly prohibited in our Writings.

A hitherto untranslated Tablet from 'Abdu'l-Bahá, however, points out that in the case of attack by robbers and highwaymen, a Bahá'í should not surrender himself, but should try, as far as circumstances permit, to defend himself, and later on lodge a complaint with the government authorities. In a letter written on behalf of the Guardian, he also indicates that in an emergency when there is no legal force at hand to appeal to, a Bahá'í is justified in defending his life. In another letter the Guardian has further point out that the assault of an irresponsible assailant upon a Bahá'í should be resisted by the Bahá'í, who would be justified, under such circumstances, in protecting his life.

The House of Justice does not wish at the present time to go beyond the guidelines given in the above-mentioned statements. The question is basically a matter of conscience, and in each case the Bahá'í involved must use his judgment in determining when to stop in self-defense lest his action deteriorate into retaliation.

Of course the above principles apply also in cases when a Bahá'í finds himself involved in situations of civil disorder. We have, however, advised the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States that under the present circumstances in that country it is preferable that Bahá'ís do not buy nor own arms for their protection or the protection of their families.

With loving Bahá'í greetings,
THE UNIVERSAL HOUSE OF JUSTICE

Guidance on Self-Defense

If this advising to the NSA of Canada is binding to all Baha'is, then it would seem that the teachings of Baha'u'llah do not prohibit gun use. Baha'u'llah spoke of peace, but self defense is sometimes necessary. So, I believe it is a matter of personal choice.