• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Religion Would You Choose If You Had To Change

McDoogins

Or if you're an atheist like me, if you had to get a religion period.

I would probably choose Confucianism because I really enjoyed the poetry in The Analects.

One the quotes that grabbed me was something along the lines of proper character in a person being formed by the rites as being the same as a simple garment being decorated with dye.

The point was just so concise that I've kept it with me ever since

So, what one would you pick? Would you pick something the polar opposite of your beliefs just to see what it was all about or would you pick something as close as possible to your beliefs?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A complicated question to ask one who regards religion (done properly) as an all-encompassing way of life. It is like asking me "who would you be if you could be someone else entirely and have a completely different life?"

I would be a tree. Probably an oak tree.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm...I'm dubious about such fantasy thought experiments but I'll suspend reality and give it a go...I would probably be a Buddhist. It has similar ethics to Christianity. I think that if my belief in God were taken out of the mix and if I can suspend my disbelief in rebirth for a moment, then the basic worldview of Buddhism makes perfect sense to me. Life is impermanent. Check. This causes suffering as we cling to changeable things. Check. Suffering is caused by attachments born of cravings. Check. The Noble Eightfold Path and the Dharma provide a way out of suffering/samsara to attain nirvana, the state of unconditioned joy. Yep, sounds good. I like it and if I were not a Catholic, and a dedicated contemplative one at that, Buddhism would probably make sense to me as alternative possible worldview....

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But it's got a deity, a historical mythology, doctrine -- what else does a religion require?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
A complicated question to ask one who regards religion (done properly) as an all-encompassing way of life. It is like asking me "who would you be if you could be someone else entirely and have a completely different life?"

I would be a tree. Probably an oak tree.

That answer, pretty much.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I would pick Buddhism; a school that is compatible and complimentary to what I learned in my studies of theosophy, the paranormal and spirituality.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a joke religion, you know that as well as I do. ;)
Yes, but the joke was that it had all the features of a traditional religion and was thus, essentially, indistinguishable from them.
Now Bokononism, that I'd agree was a joke religion.

McDoogins

Yes, but the joke was that it had all the features of a traditional religion and was thus, essentially, indistinguishable from them.
Now Bokononism, that I'd agree was a joke religion.

Knew that sounded familiar. Most people wouldn't be comfortable touching each others feet even in a religious context haha.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Even the part about trees? :D

I think contemporary Pagans cheat. We can basically go "well, just some other flavor of Paganism that would not really be all that different from what I'm doing right now. I think I'll just worship the Greek gods this year..." :cool:

LOL I think that's a result of the pluralism and soft syncretic aspects that are inherent to most polytheisms. ^_^

Not sure if I'd be an Oak, though. I dunno what Tree I'd like to be.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Or if you're an atheist like me, if you had to get a religion period.

I would probably choose Confucianism because I really enjoyed the poetry in The Analects.

One the quotes that grabbed me was something along the lines of proper character in a person being formed by the rites as being the same as a simple garment being decorated with dye.

The point was just so concise that I've kept it with me ever since

So, what one would you pick? Would you pick something the polar opposite of your beliefs just to see what it was all about or would you pick something as close as possible to your beliefs?
Hinduism or Jainism.

McDoogins

Even the part about trees? :D

I think contemporary Pagans cheat. We can basically go "well, just some other flavor of Paganism that would not really be all that different from what I'm doing right now. I think I'll just worship the Greek gods this year..." :cool:

Same thing with Hindus and they're all encompassing gods.

If you can go the length to be a Bahai Faith member, they believe all the prophets were right, plus they're own so it's like a religious conglomerate.