• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion would you be...

Doktormartini

小虎
Two questoins!

1. If your religion did not exist, but all other religions did, which one do you think you would be? Basically, what religion do you like the most other than yours?

2. Although you practice one religion, there maybe a few concepts from other relgions that you like and/or practice. What are they?

For me:
1. I am an Atheist, and if Atheism didn't exist, I would probably be a Buddhist, Hindu, or a Jain. I love those religions and all the practices they have. Also, I am very fond of Judaism and Wicca/Asatru as well.

2. I am an Atheists but I folow concepts from other religions like Ahimsa (from Hinduism and Jainism). I am a Vegan and many religions/religious sects like Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Seventh Day Adventism...etc advocate vegetarianism. I also love and resepct nature which is a concept in many of the Pagan faiths.

Sorry if this has been done before, but I think it would be interesting to see peoples answers! OkGo!

Scott1

Doktormartini said:
1. If your religion did not exist, but all other religions did, which one do you think you would be? Basically, what religion do you like the most other than yours?
Islam... I love the concept of total submission to God....
2. Although you practice one religion, there maybe a few concepts from other relgions that you like and/or practice. What are they?
Any and all that I find appealing... different forms of meditation... prostrating myself in prayer (Islam)... among others.

Bishka

Veteran Member
1. Buddhist or Pagan

2. There are several practices that I take from other faiths. Meditation in the Buddhist traditions and yoga from the Hindu traditions are just two of the many that I intergrate into my life

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I guess you could call me a Pentecostal Christian, although, I'm considering visiting other churches.

If there was no such thing...

I'd probably be Catholic, which I know is still Christian but there are differences.

If there was no Christianity...I'd probably lean towards natural religions, such as Wicca.

I can't fathom a life without Christ. Praise God, I don't have to.

Doktormartini

小虎
I'd like to point out that I find it interesting that Christians are saying Pagan faiths. Lots of Christians hate them and consider them devil worshippers...haha

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is unthinkable that Girls On Trampolines wouldn't exist, but if it didn't, then I think I might be a Taoist, a Buddhist, a Hindu, a Sufi, a UU, a Pagan, a Catholic or LDS. There are some mighty attractive things to me in all of those religions. And if I could find enough land to live on, and a Nation to live with, I might follow a Native American religion.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Doktormartini said:
I'd like to point out that I find it interesting that Christians are saying Pagan faiths. Lots of Christians hate them and consider them devil worshippers...haha

One of the central "themes" (for lack of a better word) within Wicca is "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" pretty much.

Basically, love they neighbor....

It all rocks...the only thing missing from the equation is...Jesus Christ.

Doktormartini

小虎
dawny0826 said:
One of the central "themes" (for lack of a better word) within Wicca is "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" pretty much.

Basically, love they neighbor....

It all rocks...the only thing missing from the equation is...Jesus Christ.
Well, Wiccan's believe that their deity is present in everything. Thus when they worship a pagan deity, they would basically be worshipping their main deity (lord/lady). So, that means that you can be a Pagan and worship Jesus Christ...I think.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Doktormartini said:
Two questoins!

1. I would either be Jewish or an Athiest.
2. I really like the meditative concepts of eastern religions.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Doktormartini said:
Well, Wiccan's believe that their deity is present in everything. Thus when they worship a pagan deity, they would basically be worshipping their main deity (lord/lady). So, that means that you can be a Pagan and worship Jesus Christ...I think.

Kind of, sort of.

I wouldn't feel comfortable worshipping Jesus Christ by a Pagan god or goddesses name, though.

If I'm claiming to worship the goddess of fertility, for instance...she's NOT Christ.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
If I could not be an atheist, I would be a Wiccan.

In fact I sometimes find myself questioning why I don't do just that.

I like eastern religious philosophies and practices as well - Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
If the One True Holy Todic and Vixenic Faith of the Great Foxes did not exist I'd probably be...

A UU?

Or possibly some variety of Heathen. Ancestral roots and all.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
If there was no paganism, I would probably go back to Christianity. Then again, I might not, I don't know. If I were to, I'd check out LDS. If not Christianity, then most likely some form of Buddism.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Doktormartini said:
Two questoins!

1. If the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints did not exist, but I could still be a Christian, I would undoubtedly be Catholic. If Christianity did not exist at all, I'd be a Baha'i or Jewish.

2. I chose Catholicism because of the things it has in common with my current beliefs. Mormonism actually has more in common with Catholicism than it does with most, if not all, of the Protestant denominations. Catholics, as a rule, aren't always telling me I'm going to Hell, which is kind of a plus. :D Besides, I find mass to be very beautiful. I have always had a lot of respect for the Baha'i Faith because of its openness and acceptance of other faiths. It seems to me to be a very inclusive religion and I like that. I have also always had a real interest in Jewish traditions, etc. and feel a kind of a kinship to Jewish people. I don't really know why.

Ðanisty

1. If Luciferianism didn't exist, I'd invent it. (I pretty much came to my beliefs all on my own anyway...). If Lucifer didn't exist, I'd probably get into Kemeticism or Asatru.

2. I pull stuff from a ton of religions, sometimes without even knowing it.

Random

1) Well, my answer is the if Mysticism didn't exist there would be no religion @ all! But if I weren't a mystic I would be a Buddhist: I am anyway (also).

2) I use a mix of established truths, mostly from Dharmic religions and many of which are accurate, with my own concepts worked in.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Doktormartini said:
But my religion doesn't exist, and yet I still follow it. Heaven and earth share the same root, as do I and my faith. Were it to exist, it would be real and I wouldn't be able to follow it.

Were Taoism to be wiped away, I suspect that my abstractions of my faith would change and develop differently, but not my faith. I may express and percieve it differently, but it would not be different.

Although, abstractions are parts of one's faith, so perhaps it would be different after all. *smiles*

I feel a fellowship with all religions, but I suppose I sense a special kinship with Hinduism and Islam.

I couldn't define them. Everything I see, or learn, or understand about anything affects how I view and judge everything, and often does so without my prior knowledge. And then that affects how I viewed and judged them before I viewed and judged them, so to speak.

In fact, it's difficult to translate into words what I entirely mean, so I'll stop trying to do so. :D