• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion should I join?

The problem with that is you need the dogma and the conflict to get the entire view of the religion simply picking and choosing parts of a religion only gives.you a partial perspective.

Of course, there is only so much you can experience. What I like about Unitarian Universalism is that it is a religion in itself that has its Principles and Sources, which are not even binding upon its members.

Not only that, but it allows for an honest critique of other religions, as well as their positives and the conflicts. It is only limited in that one must directly experience any one religion in itself to get the full picture of what it has to offer to the believer (or heretic). :D

sirat

It's like being in a grocery store full of your favorite snacks, each cost a dollar, you only have one dollar on you, and they will close down after you buy it.

salaam friend,

Maybe a different metaphor would help the choice along. Instead of you choosing, as you progress perhaps you will be chosen instead. Instead of buying snacks, maybe you are actually ... lunch ... salvation ala mode and a cup of tea.

There is religion by faith, religion by emotion, religion by thinking and then what lies beyond that, which is sometimes called The Real.

How will you recognize it? It sounds like justice, feels like truth, looks like beauty and smells like a locker room.

Just kidding. How will you recognize it? How do you know when you are finished making love?

wa salaam,
sirat

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
How do you know when you are finished making love?

CoffeeSpit.jpg

What on earth does that mean? xD

sirat

What on earth does that mean? xD

salaam friend,

It means something like: you will know it when you taste it.

It means: keep visiting taverns until you fall in love with the waitress.

It means: roll in the stuff untill you reek of it, as you do. Your scent is easy to discern.

It means: you are a chickpea. Stay in the pot until you are cooked.

It most closely means:
With the Fear of God as the bellows, fan the flames of tapa, the body's inner heat.
In the crucible of love, melt the Nectar of the Name,
and mint the True Coin of the Shabad, the Word of God

How do you know when you are finished with the crucible of love?

wa salaam

sirat

Last edited:

Dezzie

I think you should just save your dollar in all honesty. Religion is only a label. Just believe what you want to believe. You don't need to be called anything to believe it.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It means something like: you will know it when you taste it.
Oh God, LOL. :D

It most closely means:
With the Fear of God as the bellows, fan the flames of tapa, the body's inner heat.
In the crucible of love, melt the Nectar of the Name,
and mint the True Coin of the Shabad, the Word of God

How do you know when you are finished with the crucible of love?
Ahh, I get you. :) Thanks for explaining.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
First thing's first: separate what you know or believe to be true from what you wish to be true. Whatever you wish that cannot be done, discard them. Whatever you wish that can be done, do it. That is as good a religion as any other, or if nothing else, a life lesson.

Warren Clark

Informer
It's like being in a grocery store full of your favorite snacks, each cost a dollar, you only have one dollar on you, and they will close down after you buy it.

That is what religion feels like to me.

But right now it is late and my beliefs probably will not be accurate or true, and my beliefs always change. What I know for sure are my beliefs are:

Good is the lack of evil.

I'm leaning into reincarnation, but I think unconsciousness is another possibility.

I don't know what I believe on a God, I'm not agnostic, I just don't know if I want to have faith or just go with what is real so far.

If a god exists at all, it will not be human-formed and it will not have a gender. We will call it a "non-human animal".

I totally accept all science. Questioning the big bang theory.

I have the same beliefs. But what makes "God" biological or anything life like.
I think of God as an it. The very science we rely on or the logos if you will.
God is the laws of nature.
Really you don't even have to call it God.
Its just "it", our existence and conscious enlightenment.
This is where I came to Pantheism/Humanism... but I don't know if you are looking for an organized religion with gatherings and stuff. :angel2:
But there is also Panentheism, Apatheism, and there is another one where nothing exists outside of your own mind... forget what its called . :p

Last edited:

ejalfa

There can only be one true religion.
Truth is truth and contains no lies.
Jesus said with regard to his father God Almighty.....Your word is truth.
Therefore the Bible is the truth.
SEEK AND YOU SHALL FIND THE TRUTH IN THE BIBLE !!!!!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Night of the Living Threads...

It's interesting how my beliefs changed over time though

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I asked a Nun in class once: "How old is God ?"
She didn't like the question and smacked my knuckles with a ruler.
She smacked my knuckles a lot more times in those 3 to 4 years.
One that I liked was: "From what did God make everything ?"
And of course: "From where did the people in Nod come ?"
I hated that ruler, and the Nun....and in a while....God.
I later quit the church and became an agnostic/atheist.
I'm still not decided, but I still have a fear of rulers, and clowns.
?
~
OK...it's getting silly, I wish you well with your search.
~
'mud

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

Hate to be a jerk, but...

You must submit personal email info first before you are allowed to participate. Not exactly a fair playground in which all can play...

religion99

I'm leaning into reincarnation

Check for Jainism. Reincarnation is the way of life. Jainism teaches you to break the cycle of Reincarnation.

If a god exists at all, it will not be human-formed and it will not have a gender. We will call it a "non-human animal".
Check for Jainism. Gods(there are multiple) are shaped like man , but are neither men nor women.

I totally accept all science. Questioning the big bang theory.
Check for Jainism.