• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion is the one true religion?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Religions exist, clearly. The question is whether 'closeness with the divine' exists. For *that* to exist, there has to *be* a divine. I don't think there is.
Which, per the metaphor, would illustrate you not seeing a point to climbing the mountain. The peak is the same as the base to you. There's no deeper meaning or experience to be had by climbing the mountain, and you think it's a waste of time spent for nothing. Doesn't change the fact that people do such, or become closer to what they view and worship as god - even if that's something you don't see, or haven't considered as an aspect or representation of the divine.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Which, per the metaphor, would illustrate you not seeing a point to climbing the mountain. The peak is the same as the base to you. There's no deeper meaning or experience to be had by climbing the mountain, and you think it's a waste of time spent for nothing. Doesn't change the fact that people do such, or become closer to what they view and worship as god - even if that's something you don't see, or haven't considered as an aspect or representation of the divine.

So the goal is to promote a specific religion, not 'closeness with the divine'. Or it is to get a specific 'feeling' that is labeled as 'closeness to the divine' whether or not it actually is.

If the peak and ground level are the same, then there is no peak.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, there is just one. There cannot be more unless your god is limited in which case he isn't god at all.

So everyone can be wrong, but it is impossible for everyone to be right?

I think everyone is wrong: that no deity or divine exists at all.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, there is just one. There cannot be more unless your god is limited in which case he isn't god at all.

it seems that all theists think they are worshiping the 'one true God', but they all seem to disagree about the specifics.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So the goal is to promote a specific religion,
How in the world are you getting that?

The mountain is Religion as a whole; the monolith of worship. Various and sundry paths up the mountain are individual religions (e.g. Christianity, Paganism, Islam, Hinduism, etc, etc). What getting to the top means will differ to each and every person, as fulfilment through religion and faith differs on a personal level. If I am here promoting a specific religion at all, as said prior it is the religion (or none) that works for the individual.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why does any religion have to be true/false, right/ wrong, correct/incorrect?

Not one of them is more valid than the other. None of them are invalid. And not all of them are "wrong". Because the concept of "the one true religion" is seriously flawed. Because there is no criteria for establishing what would be true or false.

Therefore, they can all be true, correct, etc. Just as the lack of religion is fine as well.

False dichotomies wreck much havoc.

How about the criterion of reason and logic?

Shakeel

And how do we determine if those miracles and prophecies are valid? I have yet to see one that is outside of scientific 'prophecies' (like that there will be an eclipse on a specific date at a specific time).
You determine the authenticity of the text and then whether the prophecy has been fulfilled or not. You might Google prophecies then because that is very little you know of.

Shakeel

Yeah, there's a lot of that bud. In every one of these religions that you called "just play" and that we "know is false". Which, by the by, is a very rude thing to say.
So? I'm sure those who are confident in their beliefs will wave it off as unimportant nonsense.

Shakeel

So everyone can be wrong, but it is impossible for everyone to be right?

I think everyone is wrong: that no deity or divine exists at all.
If it wasn't that I know Islam, I would agree. Certainly everyone can't be right.

OK, but you want to double check.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's pretty easy: Miracles & prophecies.
Devarim (Deut) 13:

If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or wonder that he tells you comes to pass, and if he says, ‘Let us go after other gods,’ which you have not known, ‘and let us serve them,’ you shall not listen to the words of that prophet or that dreamer of dreams. For the Lord your God is testing you, to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice, and you shall serve him and hold fast to him. But that prophet or that dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has taught rebellion against the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt and redeemed you out of the house of slavery, to make you leave the way in which the Lord your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from your midst.

Miracles and prophecies simply aren't enough on their own.