1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What religion is the one true religion?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Meandflower, Aug 2, 2021.

1. The Kilted Heathen

The Kilted Heathen Torolf Brucesson

Ratings:
    +3,228
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    To be fair, the Holocaust had a thin vener of "Christianity" (not really), but Hitler is a very poor excuse for Christianity as he targeted many Christians with his ideologies. 9/11 as well was spun into a religious ordeal here in America by our government and our more "Patriotic" elements, but it was largely a political matter, not a religious one.

2. Justanatheist

Justanatheist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Religion:
    None
    Virtually everyone who rounded up, put on cattle trucks, shot or gassed the Jews claimed to be a christian that is why I was careful with my words. 9/11 was carried out by people who claimed to be Muslims.

3. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Silent Generation - so don't expect much
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,598
    Religion:
    Fellowship of the Mutable (agnostic atheist)
    On this basis, we are destined for more of such then - and more of what happens every time a new belief surfaces. Unless one was to believe each of the messages - but that doesn't seem to happen either. So why would any God get such wrong - given that this God is supposed to know us well?

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Kilted Heathen

Ratings:
    +3,228
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    It was more than the Jews, though. It was also Catholics and Protestants (and many others) who objected to Hitler's rule. Nazism is a beast all it's own, and the actions were far from fueled by Christianity.

And while the individuals who carried out 9/11 were Muslim, their actions were not fueled by Islam, but as outcry against American Imperialism.

Both were political, and can't really be laid at the feet of religion anymore than Stalin's actions can be said to be indicative of Atheism. They're poor comparisons.

5. Shakeel

Shakeel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Religion:
    Islam
    Islam is very clear. You can read about it.

Of course not. Treating neighbours well is extremely important in Islam.

6. The Kilted Heathen

Ratings:
    +3,228
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    Unless they believe differently than you, right? Because your actions here are not treating your neighbors well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Justanatheist

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Religion:
    None
    Good because that was not my point. What was my point was that these messengers from god that the Trailblazer was talking about were not very good messengers or their followers would not of been killing like they did/do whether it was for political reasons or not.

8. Shakeel

Ratings:
    +237
    Religion:
    Islam
    No. It doesn't matter what they believe. You still have to treat them well. Are you counting yourself as my neighbour? You're not. But, if you were, would you appreciate me advising you to go to hell?

9. The Kilted Heathen

Ratings:
    +3,228
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    Ah, I thought you were meaning they were acting as messengers.

10. Shakeel

Ratings:
    +237
    Religion:
    Islam
    Not if they share it.

11. The Kilted Heathen

Ratings:
    +3,228
    Religion:
    Heathenry
    Ah, the conditional "neighbor". We all share this Earth, Shakeel. We are all neighbors, globally speaking. Your neighbors are not merely those that live right next to you, or think exactly as you do.

We've been over that. You are misrepresenting both my beliefs and my actions, maliciously so, and are thus not acting as peacefully as you claim to.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,288
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Jesus and Muhammad met all of the criteria except that they did not write their own scriptures.
    I just updated that criterion to include older religions that had Messengers who did not write their own scriptures.

3. He wrote much about God and God's purpose for humans both individually and collectively or scriptures were written by others who spoke for him. He firmly believed that the work he was doing was for the Cause of God.
    No, the original scriptures do not contradict each other; they are different but not contradictory. However, what the followers of those religions 'believe' the scriptures mean is contradictory.

13. Justanatheist

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Religion:
    None
    Jesus was god, Jesus was not god, Jesus was the Messiah, Jesus was not the Messiah explain how that is not contradictory?

14. Psalm23

Psalm23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +533
    Religion:
    Christian
    I had first believed on Jesus at a very young age. As I grew older, I looked further into Christianity and the case for it. Perhaps a combination of personal experience, testimonials I have heard( such as healings), and information I have looked into concerning Christianity such as biblical and outside the Bible sources on Jesus and the apostles and the willingness of the apostles to be persecuted and die for preaching Jesus.

15. Unveiled Artist

Unveiled Artist Shrugs. I tried.

Ratings:
    +12,728
    Religion:
    Inner child healing
    There isn't a same goal though. Each climb their own mountain (hill, path, etc). The only few things in common is we're all traveling.

16. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,812
    Religion:
    Islam
    Again more faith statements. Its still irrelevant to historical claims.

Okay. So can you give the numbers killed by each of those four people, and whats your historical sources for the information? I will name the four people since you have clearly tried to get away from those names you quoted.

1. Jesus,
    2. Mohammed,
    3. David Koresh
    4. Charles Manson

How many people did they kill? And what are your historical sources for the information you are presenting?

17. Justanatheist

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Religion:
    None
    I have not claimed they killed anyone, show where I wrote that, I am getting tired of you mis-representing my views to start one of your strawman arguments, Now show it or are you lying?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,489
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    I've done research. The problem is that the basic assumption: that there is a God, is never demonstrated.

Prophesies that are made after the fact are useless. prophesies that are obvious to anyone that is observant are useless. Miracles that are no more than street magic are useless. Miracles that nobody except believers see are useless.

Any prophesies or miracles that don't have those issues?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Justanatheist

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Religion:
    None
    Here is my original post on the subject. * Mod Edit *

#219 Justanatheist, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +17,182
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    I don't think there is any as my "drift" is that probably all of them are trying to ascertain what God(s) is/are about and what the implications may be.

IOW, it's the seeking that's probably most important.

• Friendly Friendly x 1