• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion is right for me?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't really care if it believes in a god or not, but please don't let this god have human characteristics.

I truly do believe that extraterrestrial life exists somewhere in the universe, maybe not the ones you see in movies, maybe more similar to the ones you see in the game Half Life.

I accept evolution and the big bang theory.

For afterlife, I do not believe in eternal life, except reincarnation may be possible to me.

I am a pacifist, but not on purpose, I just grown into being very nice, and in the environment I'm in I wish I hadn't because I can't even defend myself easily.

What religion would fit for me? Can you give me a few weblinks for it? Thanks.

The Sum of Awe

I also do not want massive practices, I'd rather be a non-practicer, or at least very few, and simple practices.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't really care if it believes in a god or not, but please don't let this god have human characteristics.

I truly do believe that extraterrestrial life exists somewhere in the universe, maybe not the ones you see in movies, maybe more similar to the ones you see in the game Half Life.

For afterlife, I do not believe in eternal life, except reincarnation may be possible to me.

I am a pacifist, but not on purpose, I just grown into being very nice, and in the environment I'm in I wish I hadn't because I can't even defend myself easily.

Baha'i or UU, but truly I feel rather then have me tell you that, you should seek out your own truth, which is what I do and encourage everyone to do.

savethedreams

I suggest you, stop worshipping the devil, because Jesus is a jealous god and he will send you to hell for being open minded. If you even type the word 'evolution' you are automatically damned to hell for eternity and will burn in fire......

I can personally save you for the devil if you would like, just open your hands to the sky and say jesus i accept you, matthew, mark , luke, john and paul told me so.

The Sum of Awe

To Proud2Be

Yes, I'm trying to find ways to get many religious books free rather than buying them, and also looking for a time where I can read them all.

Instead of reading sacred texts, is there anyway to do that?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I also do not want massive practices, I'd rather be a non-practicer, or at least very few, and simple practices.

Is 'good' really just the lack of evil?

In Jesus story of the good neighborly Samaritan a man was beaten and left unattended. The first people to pass by did no evil to him, they did him no harm, but does that mean they did good? Finally, the good Samaritan came by and he stopped and helped the injured man. So who truly was the good neighbor ?
Who was the one that widened out in his being good toward his fellowman?

-Luke 10 vs30-36

The Sum of Awe

I suggest you, stop worshipping the devil, because Jesus is a jealous god and he will send you to hell for being open minded. If you even type the word 'evolution' you are automatically damned to hell for eternity and will burn in fire......

I can personally save you for the devil if you would like, just open your hands to the sky and say jesus i accept you, matthew, mark , luke, john and paul told me so.

Sorry, no thanks.

The Sum of Awe

Is 'good' really just the lack of evil?

In Jesus story of the good neighborly Samaritan a man was beaten and left unattended. The first people to pass by did no evil to him, they did him no harm, but does that mean they did good? Finally, the good Samaritan came by and he stopped and helped the injured man. So who truly was the good neighbor ?
Who was the one that widened out in his being good toward his fellowman?

-Luke 10 vs30-36

It's like saying I'd rather sit in a chair in emptiness and solitary for eternity rather than be in hell.

They did do good indeed, at least they did not beat him up more.

Rainbow Mage

You can get Adobe free, to my knowledge. Pdfs should open on the internet anyway. Which books you want? I have a large collection.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

If I may be so bold as to say it, you don't seem to miss religion much. I may be very mistaken, of course. Would you like to elaborate on how you feel about reincarnation, or on why and how your conception of God would be non-human?

Oh, and Adobe Reader is definitely available for free. As is FoxIt Reader, that serves much the same purpose. These days it is unusual to find a computer that doesn't read PDF files.

Rakhel

Sounds like Scientology to me. Official Church of Scientology: L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics, What is Scientology?, Books, Beliefs, David Miscavige
Not that I buy into their theology, but their ideas sound similar to what you have said.

Requia

You can get Adobe free, to my knowledge. Pdfs should open on the internet anyway. Which books you want? I have a large collection.

On the off chance that the Adobe executives really did lose their minds and start charging for Adobe Reader, there are other readers out there. Foxit comes to mind.

As to the original question, it seems to me that most of the non mainstream religions and a few of the Eastern internally focused ones would work for you. Off the top of my head: Buddhism, Taoism, Discordianism*, half the neopagan religions (I'm afraid my details on which group does what are sketchy), I've heard of modern Gnostic sects that believe in reincarnation, but I couldn''t point those out to you. There's always the standard Atheist/Agnostic set (In which case I highly recommend the Universal Church Triumphant of the Apathetic Agnostic), I believe somebody already mentioned UU.

Some links:

Taoism: Tao Te Ching (James Legge) - Wikisource
Discordianism: Principia Discordia | the book of Chaos, Discord and Confusion | Fnord!
UTCAA: Essays and Articles

I can get you more if you're interested in any specific group.

*You'll get made fun of for being a pacifist if you hang around Discordians long enough, but they won't revoke your Popehood for it.

Rainbow Mage

I am curious though Cosmos. You say please don't let it be a god with humanistic traits. How do you know that isn't the only gods there is? Why assume the gods wouldn't merely just be a higher form of life then ourselves with failings and emotions? I have had experiences with these types of gods, but never yet with a transcendent one like you're seeking. I think that god is the human invention. People place an unfair expectation on a deity when they say that.

The Sum of Awe

Well I doubt that the higher being will look like us, it'd be too coincidental.

I didn't say I think that all religions have a god being with human characteristics, rather I meant that I was looking for one that didn't have that.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I didn't say I think that all religions have a god being with human characteristics, rather I meant that I was looking for one that didn't have that.
Live a little, make your own god. That's what others are doing anyway. Some are just a bit further down their delusional road than others.