• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What religion is about

Rolling_Stone

Like a window, we are defined by the absence of something—in our case, the absence of information. We are finite and our capacity for information is finite: we come into the world as localized regions of dominant characteristics. Some information naturally resonates with us more other, but, ultimately, we are informed by all of it. Our task is not, as some might suppose, to merge with the Infinite the way a drop of water merges with the ocean, but to be informed by it; to enter into a sublime relationship with it. This, to me, is what religion is about.

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
Like a window, we are defined by the absence of something—in our case, the absence of information. We are finite and our capacity for information is finite: we come into the world as localized regions of dominant characteristics. Some information naturally resonates with us more other, but, ultimately, we are informed by all of it. Our task is not, as some might suppose, to merge with the Infinite the way a drop of water merges with the ocean, but to be informed by it; to enter into a sublime relationship with it. This, to me, is what religion is about.

I like the way you put that. I agree that our task is not to lose ourselves in the divine like a drop of water in the ocean but to continue to hold our identity and our being and to be informed and have a relationship with the divine.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Religion = not only is it a man built system developed to create nothing more then self righteousess and hypocritcial adherents as in Jesus day through external ritualistic protocol,which must be followed in order to be accepted and recognised but that it also divides itself over and over and appearing to the rest of the world as something that has no unity or consistency worth following
It is based on man attempting to attain rightousness or right position with God by their abilities and liberties being excersised through the performing of various acts of service and religious duties,church attendence,etc.

Christianity on the other hand is based on receiving,believing,trusting and having relationship with Jesus who came down to reconcile man to God through the cross.
Man can only recieve grace which is unmerited favor, they can't on their own merit create favor by outward adherences to certain practices or behaviors

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have always thought of Religion as a set of ideals that one chooses to live by. There does not necessarily even have to be a diety. Someone, for instance, can worship making making money and worships the Almighty Dollar. In this way of thinking, even science can be considered a diety.;)

ayani

Our task is not, as some might suppose, to merge with the Infinite the way a drop of water merges with the ocean, but to be informed by it; to enter into a sublime relationship with it. This, to me, is what religion is about.

i love that. this is what i feel, as well. this thread totally surprised me for the better.

Rolling_Stone

Religion is by no means a disclosure or experience of anything in the world of things. God is not an object or thing, but spirit. One cannot experience or enter into communion with spirit through any sort of objectification. God is life; his Being comes to light after the division of subject and object. A doctrine that professes to meet the needs of abstract reason turns God, so to speak, into a stone, depriving him of a dynamic presence in the interior life.

Question: do you think this makes any sense at all to atheists?

Rolling_Stone

I have always thought of Religion as a set of ideals that one chooses to live by. There does not necessarily even have to be a diety. Someone, for instance, can worship making making money and worships the Almighty Dollar. In this way of thinking, even science can be considered a diety.;)
I agree, but try telling an atheist that. :D