• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Religion Have You Been Before?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If you had another faith before your current faith, what was it, what if anything is it that you still like about it? If you've had the same faith all your life, have you ever thought about changing or has it never crossed your mind?

Last edited:

Milton Platt

If you had another faith before your current faith, what was it, what if anything do you still like about it? If you've had the same faith all your life, have you ever thought about changing or has it never crossed your mind?

Briefly Christian, atheist now. Before that, never gave religion any thought one way or the other.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I was christian, CofE, now im faithless so not sure if i count re current faith.

I found it a comfort, peaceful and explained a lot i didnt understand (explained wrongly but how was i to know)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
My religion is very 'direct', though the variables can include many things. The direct religion doesn't change at all. Variables correlate to the religion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I used to be a Southern Baptist of the fundamentalist and evangelical type. Then after that Wicca/neo-pagan for awhile. Now a very agnostic with beliefs in nothing specific except uncertainties and unanswered questions as the only real certainties.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
For my part I have been a Christian of various kinds, a Zoroastrian, and played around with some Paganisms. Can't say I miss anything about any of them, really.

leov

If you had another faith before your current faith, what was it, what if anything do you still like about it? If you've had the same faith all your life, have you ever thought about changing or has it never crossed your mind?
i was an atheist.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Raised in the Roman Church (RCC), studied Buddhism, Taoism and Arts of the Way (Martial Arts) for many years, close to Humanism in the Unitarian Universalism (Still am), and I have been a Baha'i for 50 years, and everything is in pencil.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I do not remember a time when I was not a believer in God and Christ. Don't misunderstand, that does not mean I was not rebellious. But even in that rebelliousness, I was always a believer in God and Christ.

The idea of any other faith or religion was anathema to me even in my days of rebellion.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Started life as a Baptist. Because that's the family religion. Drifted away early teens. Explored and experimented with various religions. Decided I didn't like any of them enough to become a practitioner. So I just became an athiest/agnostic. This lasted for about 15 years. Then I had some stuff happen (won't go into detail here), and I've been a Christian (non-denominational) ever since. I still don't like the institution of organized church, and the social politics involved. So I study the Bible on my own with a very small group of people. Which I feel like is what religion should be. Which is basically a personal relationship between God and his child, no pope, or priest, building is needed (speaking from a Christian perspective, not speaking for any other religion).

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Southern Baptist until age 13. Began to really start looking for and finding answers then.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Raised in the Roman Church (RCC), studied Buddhism, Taoism and Arts of the Way (Martial Arts) for many years, close to Humanism in the Unitarian Universalism (Still am), and I have been a Baha'i for 50 years, and everything is in pencil.

To add: I have also studied seriously all religions and their history. I came to the conclusion that the many diverse, conflicting and contradictory religions and belief systems over the millennia through many cultures leads to the question of what is the relationship between God,IF God exists, brings seriously in question what this relationship is. It there is not a universal relationship between God and humanity in history then the reasonable and logical conclusion is God does not exist, and religions are created by human nature..

I found out long ago the the main motivation to believe one way or another, most often the inherited belief is a desire for a sense of belonging and identity in one cultural paradigm or another, which again is a contradiction if God or the 'Source' exists one universal perspective, and is the Creator of all of our existence and all of humanity.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To add: I have also studied seriously all religions and their history. I came to the conclusion that the many diverse, conflicting and contradictory religions and belief systems over the millennia through many cultures leads to the question of what is the relationship between God,IF God exists, brings seriously in question what this relationship is. It there is not a universal relationship between God and humanity in history then the reasonable and logical conclusion is God does not exist, and religions are created by human nature..

I found out long ago the the main motivation to believe one way or another, most often the inherited belief is a desire for a sense of belonging and identity in one cultural paradigm or another, which again is a contradiction if God or the 'Source' exists one universal perspective, and is the Creator of all of our existence and all of humanity.
You sound like an agnostic.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You sound like an agnostic.

Actually I am a philosophical agnostic, because in reality 'I do not know.' Belief to me is a highly tenuous affair, because of the fallible nature of humans. The Baha'i Faith does not define the 'Source' some call God(s). and believes in the progressive spiritual and physical evolution of humanity, therefore there is hope in the belief.

My belief centers on the belief in the universal nature of our physical and/or spiritual existence regardless of whether God exists or not. The problem is big for individual ancient religions, because they do not recognize the universal relationship with all humanity throughout history from the human perspective which is the reality regardless.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Catholic for four years. I like private devotion and communal worship and plenty spiritual resources.