• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Religion Are You?

Do you most closely identify with...

• Total voters
Ok, so this thread is extremely basic. All I want to know is what religion you follow. Since I've been away from RF for a while, I figure it would be nice to get a sense of the demographics here. Also, it would be nice to know what specific sect, denomination, etc, of your religion you are part of, if any. Give a general outline of your beliefs (you may be as detailed as you like), and tell how long you've believed the way you do. Do you most closely identify with:

- Agnosticism
- Atheism
- Baha'i
- Buddhism
- Christianity
- Hinduism
- Islam
- Judaism
- Paganism
- Other (please specify)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Christianity. If you want an official Church.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

How long?

I was born into the Church (both parents members), I practiced until my teenage years when I decided I would find something else, when at that time, I tried everything from Islam to Paganism to Buddhism to Jainism to whatevertheheckism.

I eventually came back to the LDS Church though.

standing_alone

I don't follow a religion. I am an atheist.

I have been an atheist for about two or three years, though I called myself an agnostic for most of that time (that two to three year period - a cowardly thing for me to have done - I basically did it to appease religious folk) and have only recently started calling myself an atheist. I don't really think there's much of a need to outline my beliefs. I don't believe there is a god nor do I believe in the supernatural. That's about it.

Reactions: d.

Hacker

The closest that I come up with as far as my beliefs are concerned is very close to the Urantian book. However, I'm not very fond about following any specific religion, only because it puzzles me that there isn't ONE ultimate belief system that defines the "truth" about God...there must be a reason for it though. I sort of have my own beliefs and if you want me or us to be specific, maybe you can give me a guideline to follow:D in case I miss something. Also, I guess I could say that i'm more spirtual than religious although I do take some religious teachings into account and try to apply them to my life (example ten commanments and Jesus's teachings etc).

Also, I find Buddhism very interesting and I respect U/U's and would consider myself somewhere between the two if you wanted me to choose from your list.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Affliliated with the Religious Society of Friends, and Unitarian Universalism. As for what I call myself, I simply say Universalist Friend.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
I suppose I could say atheist, since I am one, but I do not identify closely with that label. All it says is that I don't believe in God. That says next to nothing about me.

I identify most strongly with my philosophy of life, which is called Eudaimonism, and with my philosophical community, the Fellowship of Reason. I have been a Eudaimonist for the past four or five years. Before then I would have called myself an Objectivist (which is closely related), and I was that for about ten years.

Eudaimonism is a nontheistic philosophical and spiritual path that upholds personal flourishing in this life as the ultimate ethical purpose and meaning of life, and reason as its ultimate means. It does not advocate belief in gods, disembodied spirits, supernatural realms or powers, or any afterlives -- rather it advocates what may be loosely thought of as a "scientific" conception of reality in which everything is natural and in which human beings are material, biological beings who are nevertheless conscious and may exercise volition. It sees human life and happiness as sacred values to be nourished, cherished, and honored.

Eudaimonism advocates an ethical orientation to life that includes several moral virtues (two examples: integrity and kindness), and a spiritual path that includes self-examination, self-actualization, and self-esteem. Know yourself, and be true to yourself. You are a diamond in the rough, so get out that chisel. Develop your talents and follow your calling in life. Strive always to achieve and maintain your self-respect.

While there is a strong emphasis on one's personal development, there is also an emphasis on valuing friendship, family, and community, and the Fellowship of Reason is a Eudaimonistic community that offers fellowship with likeminded people for the sake of personal growth, the enjoyment of good company, and the celebration of the sacred values of life.

eudaimonia,

Mark

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I'm a convert to the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church (which westerners generally refer to as Eastern Orthodox), more specifically the Orthodox Church of Romania. I was an enquirer/catechumen for several years (during which time my beliefs were pretty much Orthodox though I, officially, wasn't). I have been officially Orthodox now for about 5 years.

As for beliefs, outwardly we probably resemble Roman Catholicism more than Protestantism but in terms of theological approach mainstream Protestants and RCs are probably closer to each other than either is to us. In terms of the doctrines that divide Roman Catholicism from my Church, the two major ones would be Papal Supremacy and the filioque though there are a whole slew of lesser ones.

I actually think that we are much closer to, and likely to reunify sooner with, Oriental Orthodoxy than Rome, even though the RCC does seem to downplay our differences. One reason I feel this is that most RCs I've come across, including here, simply could not countenance the idea of the Pope not being supreme authority in the Church and yet that is one issue on which we could not possibly budge in the slightest.

Sorry to have to explain our faith by comparing it to other churches, but I can't see how to make a short explanation any other way.

James

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Christianity, I suppose in name, although I have incorporated some elements of Hinduism and Buddhism (typical me, to be awkward).

GoldenDragon

I identify with Christianity more specifaclly Roman Catholic. I've been a Catholic since I was baptized at 5 months old. I feel it's mostly in name though I try to be a good practicing Catholic yet it doesn't seem to "fit".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I settled on a label a few months ago, "Dis-integrated Neo-Gnostic"

Disintegrated because I find all forms of "spiritual collectives" to be counter to my relationship to my Source. Disintegrated because I can literally take my personality apart and put it back together again. Sorta like cosmic Lego blocks. I guess I am a chamelion in some ways.

Neo-Gnostic because I feel that it is essential to personally experiences Gnosis, although I am not terribly impressed with Gnosticism in general. So, Gnostic in the purest sense without the outward trappings of any dogma.

I am also an atheist in terms of convention religions. I simply do not mean god in the same way that is outlined in "the books" and only use the term "god" so that others will have the foggiest idea of what I am babbling on about.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christian, specifically LDS. I've been a member of the Church all my life (and I'm old).

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm an Asatruar. I guess the closest option on there is paganism, but we're really a far shot from most pagans in the end.