• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Religion Actually Is

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
All of you people talking about books of faith (I won't call them holy books) as dusty old tomes, or stuff about goatherders and fishers, aee starting to come across as not only mean-spirited but also kinda ignorant.

Do you actually know the how and why about religion, or are you just making assumptions? So, I'll tell you what religion officially is according to World Religions class, and you can debate that if you want to. But hopefully that should stop some of the snotty behavior I've seen latelym.

First off, religion does not require a God or gods, nor a view of the afterlife, nor many of the other things associated with religion. You see, at its most basic, the word means to "reconnect" (you'll see some dictionaries give a false word origin of "to chain together" or something but this is not only a bad translation , but basically a jab at the role of religion, marking it as some sort of oppressive force).

How did religion start? Well, it's believed to be a survival method. The first believed religion was the cave bear cult. Basically, a group of humans tried to appease a predator by worshipping it, and offering food. You say, "How foolish!" But you'll notice, they didn't get eaten. Gradually, the thing they were trying to appease was less actual creatures, and more about concepts. In particular, humans trying to fend off death somehow, or the forces of nature. Whether this works or not is a matter of opinion, but I hope you understand something by the end of this. It isn't beliefs that are important, it's reconnecting.

What do I mean by reconnecting? Well, I've been watching an anime called Love, Chuunibyou, and Other Delusions (Chuunibyou are Japanese students, typically 2nd year, who basically engage in fantasy as a way of breaking from from the extremely conformist Japanese culture). Anyway, it details this girl and a boy, who help set up a club for goofy ppl like themselves. But all the weird behavior isn't what's the point. Rather, this story is about the girl trying to come to grips with her dad dying and deciding to have fun with her friends. And, much like Don Quixote, when her guy forces her to face that her dad in fact is not coming back, her world falls apart. The club disbands, those friends disconnect from each other, and she just kinda... shuts down. She leaves town to go back to her grandparents, and her friends in turn stop being goofy and just kinda take apart all that the club did because "it wasn't that important anyway." Eventually, he tracks her down and convinces her that it's okay to wear a goofy eyepatch or whatever.

After death is tempting to say that only real is that nothing is beyond that, but don't actually know that. And more importantly, the point of religion is to form a club of souprts. To reconnect: with our true selves, with each other especially, and with the sense of wonder and mystery of the world. The idea is that people who are suffering or dealing with loss have a sense of hope, because they have other ppl giving them tidings.

That's my take on what religion means. What exactly are you "reconnecting" with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. - from 1 Corinthians 13:11 I believe.

Religion is great, innit? Even disproves itself. If one accepts that very early beliefs were as primitive so as to be regarded as being childish, and if we can then postulate that what occurs in individuals might do so in a species. And you have outlined this. :oops:

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I would parse the question in two:
Pagan religions: What people believed.
Revealed religions: What the propounders of religions wanted people to believe.

Audie

Veteran Member
All of you people talking about books of faith (I won't call them holy books) as dusty old tomes, or stuff about goatherders and fishers, aee starting to come across as not only mean-spirited but also kinda ignorant.

Do you actually know the how and why about religion, or are you just making assumptions? So, I'll tell you what religion officially is according to World Religions class, and you can debate that if you want to. But hopefully that should stop some of the snotty behavior I've seen latelym.

First off, religion does not require a God or gods, nor a view of the afterlife, nor many of the other things associated with religion. You see, at its most basic, the word means to "reconnect" (you'll see some dictionaries give a false word origin of "to chain together" or something but this is not only a bad translation , but basically a jab at the role of religion, marking it as some sort of oppressive force).

How did religion start? Well, it's believed to be a survival method. The first believed religion was the cave bear cult. Basically, a group of humans tried to appease a predator by worshipping it, and offering food. You say, "How foolish!" But you'll notice, they didn't get eaten. Gradually, the thing they were trying to appease was less actual creatures, and more about concepts. In particular, humans trying to fend off death somehow, or the forces of nature. Whether this works or not is a matter of opinion, but I hope you understand something by the end of this. It isn't beliefs that are important, it's reconnecting.

What do I mean by reconnecting? Well, I've been watching an anime called Love, Chuunibyou, and Other Delusions (Chuunibyou are Japanese students, typically 2nd year, who basically engage in fantasy as a way of breaking from from the extremely conformist Japanese culture). Anyway, it details this girl and a boy, who help set up a club for goofy ppl like themselves. But all the weird behavior isn't what's the point. Rather, this story is about the girl trying to come to grips with her dad dying and deciding to have fun with her friends. And, much like Don Quixote, when her guy forces her to face that her dad in fact is not coming back, her world falls apart. The club disbands, those friends disconnect from each other, and she just kinda... shuts down. She leaves town to go back to her grandparents, and her friends in turn stop being goofy and just kinda take apart all that the club did because "it wasn't that important anyway." Eventually, he tracks her down and convinces her that it's okay to wear a goofy eyepatch or whatever.

After death is tempting to say that only real is that nothing is beyond that, but don't actually know that. And more importantly, the point of religion is to form a club of souprts. To reconnect: with our true selves, with each other especially, and with the sense of wonder and mystery of the world. The idea is that people who are suffering or dealing with loss have a sense of hope, because they have other ppl giving them tidings. (And this is why atheists are ********)

That's my take on what religion means. What exactly are you "reconnecting" with?
Moldy superstitions?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Religions began by wishing animals were easier to catch. When they were caught the hunters revered them for giving themselves up to feed the tribe/group.

Or the worship of woodland groves where animals gathered and could be more easily caught.

Superstition continues and you wind up with a belief impregnating a young girl and you wind up with 1/3 of the population believing it.

WhyIsThatSo

After death is tempting to say that only real is that nothing is beyond that, but don't actually know that. And more importantly, the point of religion is to form a club of souprts. To reconnect: with our true selves, with each other especially, and with the sense of wonder and mystery of the world. The idea is that people who are suffering or dealing with loss have a sense of hope, because they have other ppl giving them tidings. (And this is why atheists are ********)

"What is your name ?, Jesus asked. And he answered saying, " My name is LEGION; for we are many " (Mark 5:9)

This is where you need to start, if you want to "know" what "RE-LIGION" is.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You present one of many interesting takes about religion, @Samantha Rinne - it bears some expansion (no pun intended).

To frame the etymology of the word religion in another way, the connections that religions bring about is meaningfulness on a more general level. Humans are storytellers on a fundamental level. We don't just experience the world, we tell stories that contextualize our experience and bring them meaning in our lives. We also share these stories with each other, and express them in various ways in our lives whether that's formal ritual, day to day living, or aspiring to certain virtues. To put this into a bullet-point format, all religion starts with experience that is then articulated in four key ways:
  • Mythos - first and foremost, religion is about myth making or storytelling. It is a body of narratives that informs us about ourselves, others, and relationships. In short, it's about the meaning of life and living.
  • Ritual - religion also includes practices that engage those narratives on an active basis. Stories are not simply told, they are living entities and enacted through behavior. In short, it's about outlining a way of life and living.
  • Values - inevitably, the myth and ritual as an articulation of personal and/or cultural values. Religion deals with our sacred things, that which we deem worthy of worship, that which we hold as a centerpiece in our lives.
  • Community - humans are social animals, and shared myth and ritual among humans creates community. It is through this community that religions become organized or institutionalized, a structure that facilitates passing mythos, ritual, and values between generations.
In the sense that humans are social animals, I suppose you could say this is about survival, but that's an awkward way of putting it I think (at least if by 'survival' we mean survival in the most brutal, evolutionary sense of the word). Regardless, this does make it apparent that religion doesn't require... well... most of what folks assume it requires because they model their understanding of religion off classical monotheist religions of the West. But we can't fault folks for not getting it. Education about religion is in an even worse state than education about sciences, by quite a landslide. We don't bother covering religion in public schools at all.

epronovost

@Samantha Rinne

Your position is fairly common in atheists. In fact, you will get very little argument from them about the origin of religion as a body of superstitions and stories that help pre-scientific humans to better understand and operate in their world. The difference is that you see this as a good thing while most atheists see it as either superfluous or downright hurtful when those supersititions and stories no longer help or even reduce the ability of humans to operate in their world. Atheists are of course opposed to the pronouncement of absolute truth that some religious people make about their particular body of superstitions and myths.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
@Samantha Rinne

Your position is fairly common in atheists. In fact, you will get very little argument from them about the origin of religion as a body of superstitions and stories that help pre-scientific humans to better understand and operate in their world. The difference is that you see this as a good thing while most atheists see it as either superfluous or downright hurtful when those supersititions and stories no longer help or even reduce the ability of humans to operate in their world. Atheists are of course opposed to the pronouncement of absolute truth that some religious people make about their particular body of superstitions and myths.

Atheists are of course opposed to the pronouncement of absolute truth as far as religion goes, but not all atheists are opposed to all forms of absolute truth.
Note I am not talk about atheists as atheists, I am talking about that some atheists besides being atheists are not opposed to all forms of absolute truth, only some.
Atheists in general as religious people are as diverse as humans go.

So talk of all religious people versus all atheists is a fool's game.

epronovost

Atheists are of course opposed to the pronouncement of absolute truth as far as religion goes, but not all atheists are opposed to all forms of absolute truth.
Note I am not talk about atheists as atheists, I am talking about that some atheists besides being atheists are not opposed to all forms of absolute truth, only some.
Atheists in general as religious people are as diverse as humans go.

So talk of all religious people versus all atheists is a fool's game.

Atheists in general aren't opposed to pronouncement of absolute truth that's why the rest of the sentence is important. They are universaly opposed to statement of absolute truth made by some religious people about their particular body of superstitions and myths.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Atheists in general aren't opposed to pronouncement of absolute truth that's why the rest of the sentence is important. They are universaly opposed to statement of absolute truth made by some religious people about their particular body of superstitions and myths.

There is no absolute truth. All cases of truth are localized to specific parts of the world in practice.

Regards
Mikkel

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There is no absolute truth. All cases of truth are localized to specific parts of the world in practice.

Regards
Mikkel

Well some of us might see reality, whatever it is, as being absolute truth, and no matter how one wants to see it or describe it, reality as truth just is.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well some of us might see reality, whatever it is, as being absolute truth, and no matter how one wants to see it or describe it, reality as truth just is.

Reality is not an "it", it is in practice you and the rest. You as you and you in relationship to the rest is a lot of "stuff" and all the stuff is not one "it".

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Reality is not an "it", it is in practice you and the rest. You as you and you in relationship to the rest is a lot of "stuff" and all the stuff is not one "it".

Sorry, however you try to define anything, it is just language. Reality is what actually exists and therefore is truth. Reality being that definition.

Or, we could replace reality by existence and say the same.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You just made a statement of absolute truth... I know, sementics can be a pain in the ***.

Well, it is absolute to you. To me it is conditional that you or I don't turn into a God.
I don't make absolute claims. I make conditional claims, there is for now no absolute truth for the world we are a part of.
We can go through how that is, but it is not absolute for always. That is conditional on that induction holds.
So forget that there is no absolute truth is absolute. It is itself conditional in that humans and the world as such remain the same for the future.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Sorry, however you try to define anything, it is just language. Reality is what actually exists and therefore is truth. Reality being that definition.

Or, we could replace reality by existence and say the same.

All experiences are not an "it".

All experiences were, is for the moment and will be for the future with regards to the induction problem.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
All experiences are not an "it".

All experiences were, is for the moment and will be for the future with regards to the induction problem.

I don't see how you can get around the fact that no matter how anyone sees anything, ultimately everything exists in the one reality, existence, or whatever, and therefore that is the truth. All else is just fabrication by the human mind.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't see how you can get around the fact that no matter how anyone sees anything, ultimately everything exists in the one reality, existence, or whatever, and therefore that is the truth. All else is just fabrication by the human mind.

Not in practice, because you and I are not one. We are 2 different things in time and space. And you can't make us one, without one or both of us disappearing.
You are doing philosophy. :D

GoodbyeDave

Language is a social phenomenon. Words mean what the average educated person uses them to mean. That meaning is recorded in the better dictionaries, which are based on extensive surveys of usage. So, from the Oxford English Dictionary
Religion. Belief in or sensing of some super-human controlling power of powers, entitles to obedience, reverence and worship…
If you tell a normal person that you have a religion but do not believe in a god or gods they will be somewhat perplexed.

The etymology of a word is irrelevant to its actual meaning. The Latin explodere meant 'to boo off the stage" — not much connection with bombs! The word "gentle" originally meant "well-bred".

The Latin religio meant "scrupulousness" — a person was religiosus if they were meticulous in performing their duties, whether sacred or secular. In the Middle Ages, a religio was a rule of life as practiced by monastics — that why "religious" as a noun is an old-fashioned word for a monk, friar, or nun. Calvin wrote a book about theology and the rules of Christian life and called it Institutio Christianae Religionis. It's widely believed that this contributed to the modern sense of the word "religion".