1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What qualifies as evidence?

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by SomeRandom, Jan 5, 2021.

1. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +287
    Religion:
    christian
    So now you seem to allude to having some sort of evidence but somehow you can't quite post it. Seriously? Ha

2. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,918
    Another deep and clever fail.

3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +22,389
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, I use valid sources for both. You unfortunately only have a book of myths.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,389
    Religion:
    Atheist
    He did not say that. He too recognizes that you do not understand the concept of evidence and refuse to learn.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +10,322
    Religion:
    none
    All kinds of stuff counts as evidence, but then again sometimes the evidence is the absence of stuff. Sometimes stuff is present, but the evidence is that it's the wrong kind of stuff.

Sufficient? Depends entirely on what the issue is, how important it is, how much you can verify yourself, what the costs of being wrong are.

In things where the signal to noise ratio is bad (amount of true information compared to false information) and you have little means of independently verifying, usually best to be patient and time will tell.

The faster the news, the more likely it is to be wrong.

6. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,148
    Hmm. I do try to evaluate the evidence on certain things. But I find it hard since I tend to like things that are more “abstract.” Literature, political theory that sort of thing. I’m probably not educated enough to “get it” all the time. And I have been very wrong about things. But being wrong is just a learning opportunity or whatever, right?

I wonder just how powerful echo chambers are these days. With the internet and algorithms, you could hypothetically shut out all contrary information for one’s pet theory. I find myself rolling my eyes at conspiracy theorists, but I mean I also kind of empathise with them to a certain degree. Technology can filter information for you if you’re not careful

7. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,595
    Religion:
    None
    To paraphrase Mark Twain a bit-

It depends on what the evidence is for.

If its for a miracle, any sort of evidence will serve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,143
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    The case for why some conclusion is true - or likely to be true - will generally rely on a number of premises.

Empirical facts that establish that these premises are true are evidence.

... though often, we reserve the term "evidence" for things that don't support other mutually exclusive claims.

For instance, the fact that the sky is blue is a necessary premise for the conclusion "the sky is blue because pixies painted it their favourite colour" and "the sky is blue because of the refraction of air," but it would be weird to say that the fact that the sky being blue is evidence that pixies painted it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +22,389
    Religion:
    Atheist
    For those that wonder how we know that the deaths from Covid19 are underreported I submit this article:

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Tableau Public

Well shoot, I cannot post the graphic. Perhaps I should download it. At any rate the second link is to an interactive graph. The gold line is the predicted deaths based upon previous averages. You can see that we are far above that since the pandemic. If you subtract off known Covid19 cases from the graphs there are still far more deaths than average.

One more link This breaks down excess deaths by states. Texas is the hardest hit:

Tableau Public

#29 Subduction Zone, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  10. Augustus

Augustus the Unreasonable

Ratings:
    +10,322
    Religion:
    none
    Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 15.33.32.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,591
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    No, that's not what scientists or intellectuals mean by evidence
    Science believes no such thing, and, it believes this has a natural explanation.
    Only by theologists, never by scientists or intellectuals.
    Clearly you don't understand science, which is always trying to disprove its own hypotheses. Science accepts nothing without hard evidence. It's opinions follow the evidence, not personal beliefs.
    What abortion and "Satanic lifestyles" have to do with this I have no idea.
    No! You've got it backwards. Scientists are skeptical. Part of the scientific method involves testing, and trying to disprove personal beliefs.
    If someone experiences a miracle, that is personal evidence only. Science holds a hither standard, that the phenomenon be reproducible, observable and testable.

You're confusing science with faith. It's faith that accepts whatever fits a preconceived belief. It's faith that doesn't test. Science is exactly the opposite. That's what makes it the gold standard, and the most reliable guide to reality ever invented.