• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Proves Your Religion, Or Lack of It?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Yes, they could: you can tell that you really are a theist by recognizing that you believe in one or more gods.

If we dig down a level or two, that's where the real meat is. Take me as an atheist:

- I don't believe in any gods because I haven't been convinced of any gods.
- Should I have been convinced of any gods? No: nothing I've seen personally has ever suggested a god to me and every argument for gods that I've ever read has had at least critical holes even if it wasn't based on demonstrably false premises or irrational arguments.

Now take the theist:

- They believe in a god or gods because they've been convinced of those gods existing.
- Should they have been convinced? I don't know - that's to be determined. Every time I've heard a theist explain why they believe, they've relied on either bad logic or premises that I consider dubious, so my money sure isn't on "yes."

Thanks for sharing.

I like to solve mysteries, but I don't expect anyone will ever prove that God exists. Just common sense. If God really exists all the smart guys, and there were many, in the past millenia would have proven it already long time ago. Theist do make solving it a problem themselves by having each a different version of the same word "God". That does not help much in solving it ... on the contrary, it indicates to me even more, that God does not exist.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
In my very biased opinion, the most critical test of a belief system is: do its followers follow their own beliefs?

I'll write about Christianity, though I think that all the Abrahamic belief systems state a belief in essentially the same critical practices. For me, conformance to the ideals in the 10 commandments is the beginning. Then come passages like Micah 6:8 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
, and

Mark 12:30,31 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Even these simple things are at times a deep struggle.

It is a surprise to me that I've suddenly understood that my life and everything that I valued was taken from me in 2004, and I've become angry, really angry at the perpetrators. I'm ashamed because I don't yet know how I am going to deal with my rage. I've never done violence to anyone, never felt the urge to do serious violence. I don't know what will happen, and can't talk to anyone in "The System", because they are the perpetrators. I'm going to cry out to God, and hope that when (if) my tears pass, it will be enough. Any of you who pray, I'd appreciate it.
I feel your pain, and at the same time, I sense your strength - a strength that many have in the face of pain brought on by wicked men.
It reminds me of the song Moses and the Israelites sang, after being delivered from the Egyptian army.
Exodus 15:2 My strength and my might is Jah, since he has become my salvation. This is my God, and I will praise him; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.

You are doing well, in looking to your God,
He alone will continue to strengthen you.

We live in an imperfect world, and it is difficult knowing whom to trust.
Especially, is this the case, since the ruler of this world (mankind alienated from God), has control over the masses, and his spirit is reflected in "everything under the sun".

Being able to identify what does not belong to him, is difficult, but not impossible.
Have you heard of the three Hes? Honest; Humble; Hungry.
It makes sense to me that these three things are required for one to make it through this world.

One must be honest about their motives and heart's desires; humble at heart - that is, like a little child, willing and eager to learn; hungry for the truth.
It is said in scripture, "All your sons will be taught by Jehovah."
Isaiah 54:13; John 6:45

So the creator - the one possessing truth is willing to teach us, but we must have the three Hes.
The scriptures are what the creator uses to teach, along with his guidance by holy spirit (one has to verify this for themselves. I have).

Jesus Christ therefore, is the one we are to imitate and follow. By doing so, we are listen - being taught.
He made it clear that we can identify his followers.

No one is perfect, but those who try their best to live by Christ's teachings, and follow his example leave a clear mark for all to see - as an organization/group, who is practicing true worship.

So what proves true worship, or religion acceptable to God?
By this all will know that you are my disciples - if you have love among yourselves. (John 13:35)

Stay strong.
1 Peter 5:10 But after you have suffered a little while, the God of all undeserved kindness, who called you to his everlasting glory in union with Christ, will himself finish your training. He will make you firm, he will make you strong, he will firmly ground you.

Isaiah 41:10
10 Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you, I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness.
11 Look! All those getting enraged against you will be put to shame and humiliated.
Those who fight with you will be brought to nothing and perish.
12 You will search for men who struggle with you, but you will not find them;
The men at war with you will become as something nonexistent, as nothing at all.
For I, Jehovah your God, am grasping your right hand,
The One saying to you, ‘Do not be afraid. I will help you.’

Isaiah 40:28-31
28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? Jehovah, the Creator of the ends of the earth, is a God for all eternity. He never tires out or grows weary. His understanding is unsearchable. 29He gives power to the tired one And full might to those lacking strength. 30 Boys will tire out and grow weary, And young men will stumble and fall, 31 But those hoping in Jehovah will regain power. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary; They will walk and not tire out.

1 Peter 5:6, 7
6Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time, 7while you throw all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.

Psalm 6:6-9
6I have grown weary with my sighing; All night long I soak my bed with tears; I flood my couch with weeping. 7 My eye is weak from my grief; It has dimmed because of all those harassing me. 8 Get away from me, all you who behave wickedly, For Jehovah will hear the sound of my weeping. 9Jehovah will hear my request for favor; Jehovah will accept my prayer.

Isaiah 25:8 He will swallow up death forever, And the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will wipe away the tears from all faces. The reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, For Jehovah himself has spoken it.

How I see it. There is "Absolute Truth" (didn't find that one yet; not sure if it is even possible)

There is "Relative Truth" ... the Truth How each person sees it. Young kid just mastering counting on his fingers really beliefs 4+7 is 11. But when studying a little more you learn some other Relative Truth about this simple example. 4+7=B (hexadecimal) or it's "13"(octal counting) or "1011" (binary counting).

The same with spiritual truth. Even science started with flat earth. And due to emotional traumas Truth is seen in a different way also.

Being aware of all these things and accepting "who I am", without judging myself AND therefore not judging others, there won't be a "rude awakening". This rude awakening IMHO only comes because others placed on us (each other) this guilt feeling. And the topper is "God is judgmental. More and more I learn to let go these guilt/judgmental feelings. Then awakening will be just happening (not rude),
I can appreciate the thought that it shouldn't be a 'rude' awakening; but I think it leaves out the point of how bias we are towards ourselves.

In other words, we hear what we want to hear and see what we want to see. If someone comes along and shows us just how wrong we actually have been, then the awakening will be 'rude', because we deceived ourselves in believing that we weren't 'that bad'.

If we stay like little children, however, and keep our heart soft to God, then these awakenings will be progressively less 'rude'.

In peace