• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Proves Your Religion, Or Lack of It?

Ellen Brown

In my very biased opinion, the most critical test of a belief system is: do its followers follow their own beliefs?

I'll write about Christianity, though I think that all the Abrahamic belief systems state a belief in essentially the same critical practices. For me, conformance to the ideals in the 10 commandments is the beginning. Then come passages like Micah 6:8 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
, and

Mark 12:30,31 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Even these simple things are at times a deep struggle.

It is a surprise to me that I've suddenly understood that my life and everything that I valued was taken from me in 2004, and I've become angry, really angry at the perpetrators. I'm ashamed because I don't yet know how I am going to deal with my rage. I've never done violence to anyone, never felt the urge to do serious violence. I don't know what will happen, and can't talk to anyone in "The System", because they are the perpetrators. I'm going to cry out to God, and hope that when (if) my tears pass, it will be enough. Any of you who pray, I'd appreciate it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A lack of religion is "proven" by the lack of reliable evidence for any religion. Clearly that does not prove atheism in a formal sense, but it does tell you why many of us do not believe.

From atheists you will hear time after time "Show me the evidence and I will believe". From far too many theists we hear "No amount of evidence will make me change my mimd".

If you ever saw the Nye/Ham debate the point where Nye won and Ham lost was when each made those respective claims. Nye said he could be convinced by evidence, Ham said that he couldn't.

Earthling

David Henson
I don't really look at my practices as religious or my thinking as belief. To me, the Bible is like reading a newspaper and things like the 10 commandments are, rather than dogmatic precepts, things I've read in this newspaper that, to a greater or lesser extent, may or may not effect my life.

I don't feel that forcing things in a religious fashion is . . . real. It's more compulsory illusion. If, on occasion, I find myself doing that, and I do, I take a closer look at what would have inspired it and I reflect upon how it might have demonstrated itself in the people in the 'newspaper' in which those things appear.

Because when I'm reading about Moses, who forgot to give Jehovah credit for the water from the rock due to his impatience and anger at the stubborn people he was with, and therefore lost the opportunity to step foot in the promised land which he led them from slavery out of Egypt to possess, I'm not reading about some fictional character in a play or movie or fairy tale designed to instruct me in moral precepts, I'm reading about a human being who lived and experienced what he wrote about.

To be religious about it seems to me to be. Trivial. Pretentious.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In my very biased opinion, the most critical test of a belief system is: do its followers follow their own beliefs?

I'll write about Christianity, though I think that all the Abrahamic belief systems state a belief in essentially the same critical practices. For me, conformance to the ideals in the 10 commandments is the beginning. Then come passages like Micah 6:8 8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
, and

Mark 12:30,31 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

It is a surprise to me that I've suddenly understood that my life and everything that I valued was taken from me in 2004, and I've become angry, really angry at the perpetrators. I'm ashamed because I don't yet know how I am going to deal with my rage. I've never done violence to anyone, never felt the urge to do serious violence. I don't know what will happen, and can't talk to anyone in "The System", because they are the perpetrators. I'm going to cry out to God, and hope that when (if) my tears pass, it will be enough. Any of you who pray, I'd appreciate it.

Stay strong and try to find a balance of happy in anything you do and what unfolds in life. There is always a reason and as the future unfolds you will see the wisdom.

This is a great prayer at these times;

"Is there any Remover of difficulties save God? Say: Praised be God! He is God! All are His servants, and all abide by His bidding!" The Báb

All the best, regards Tony

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

, and

I find prayer and living the life a source of unfailing guidance and strength during the most difficult of times. Sometimes moving on from people who have hurt us the most is the greatest challenge.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion I see as cultural. I have actually changed my personal position after mulling over what has been said to me here on RF, of all places ;)
It's absolutely unnecessary. But it's in the sense of art being unnecessary. If it makes people happy or feel some kind of emotional pull, then I just sort of let it be. C'est la vie and all that jazz.
As irrational as it might appear to anti theists (and that's a perfectly fair position to take) I can't bring myself to take away someone else's happiness. I will call out bigotry if I see it, regardless of cause, to the best of my ability. But ehh, let people have their beliefs if they want.

arthra

Baha'i
For me verifiable history is an important aspect of a Faith because it can show the guidelines of life involved in living the teachings and principles of the Faith.

Another aspect is the inspiration of the scriptures as we live our daily life.

A third would be the perspectives our Faith can give us as we search the future.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't expect my beliefs to be "true" in that sense. I want them to be useful, constructive and reliable instead. The notion of a "true religion" always struck me as a bit odd.

Fair enough.

There is no apparent point in lending prestige to a belief system that one does not feel confortable with.

Except, perhaps, as a part of a larger life goal. E.g., if it is necessary to fully integrate into a family by marriage or adoption. But even then, it requires a lot of careful consideration and adaptation. It is quite a burden to be connected to a belief system that one does not feel confortable with.

(...)

I am sorry for your loss, and I hope you find serenity and a clear direction from now on, Ellen.

Who me

Surely it should be true. Is there anyone who worships a chocolate teapot orbiting the sun?
Do pastafrians realy worship a spagtiti monster?

For me the accuracy and reliability of the bible together with the historical facts of Jesus's life, death and resurrection are what makes Christianity true and proves it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The personal proves i have that Buddhism "works" is "True" is the effect it has on my life. How the teaching actually changes me to see the "reality" actually is.
Buddhism should not be seen as a Religion that we MUST follow what Buddha said, But when we understand the teaching and the meditation, we see in our own life that yes this is right for us. Because i can not say buddhism would be understood by everyone.

, and

At its core, i think your trying to figure out who you can trust in this life?

And you trusted some bad apples and they hurt you in one way or another.

My advice, learn from it, and dont be overly gaurded, but, look for those same symptoms the bad apples had as you meet others. Follow your gut.

If you know someone is not trustworthy, remove yourself from them, otherwise its like standing in front of a valcano, good wont come of it.

John 2

"23Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival, many people saw the signs he was performing and believed in his name. d 24But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people. 25He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person."

The "knew" is following your gut.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Revoltifarianism is based upon not being able to prove anything.
There is no proof for this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Proof to me is certainty.
To me, proof would be logically reasoning from premises which are
absolutely inerrantly true. Alas, this works in a priori systems like math,
but not in the natural world, where there are a couple problems.....
1) All facts & theories are subject to revision.
2) Those premises don't lead to anything like
the meaning of life, gods, purpose, or morality.

Shantanu

To me, proof would be logically reasoning from premises which are
absolutely inerrantly true. Alas, this works in a priori systems like math,
but not in the natural world, where there are a couple problems.....
1) All facts & theories are subject to revision.
2) Those premises don't lead to anything like
the meaning of life, gods, purpose, or morality.
If one assumes that there is a God and He is available to communicate with, that can be proven through the process of yoga.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If one assumes that there is a God and He is available to communicate with, that can be proven through the process of yoga.
I don't do yoga.
Mrs Revolt does though, & she hasn't found God.
So I'd call that premise "subjective" rather than "true".

Shantanu

I don't do yoga.
Mrs Revolt does though, & she hasn't found God.
So I'd call that premise "subjective" rather than "true".
If I were to be exonerated by the UK State that I was right in claiming to be God in human form, would that be proof-enough?