• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What proof would you want

Sabour

Hello guys.

Whenever I get a reply of " I didn't see enough proof to prove the existence of God", I begin wondering what kind of proof one would say okay that proves that God exists.

So here is my question, what would the proof be like so that you would be convinced?

Bonus question: On a scale of 10, 10 being the highest, how do you rate that there would come a time when you could possibly change your mind

Another Bonus Question :D. Have you ever been tempted or found something that could be convincing in that aspect?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Proof? There's no proof of anything outside of mathematics or distilleries.

The problem is, there's not even any real evidence.

Sabour

Proof/ reasoning/ Logical/ Personal experience/ Change of events.... name if whatever you want. Is there anything that would make you stop and reconsider ?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
To play the devil's advocate, convincing someone of the existence of God isn't as hard as it seems depending on your God concept. What is even harder is convincing someone to call it God.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Proof/ reasoning/ Logical/ Personal experience/ Change of events.... name if whatever you want. Is there anything that would make you stop and reconsider ?

Not really.

I suppose if it turned out that believers suddenly began to actually become wiser, more ethical and more compassionate in a very noticeable way it would lead me into wondering if God became real all of a sudden.

But what are the odds? Roughly the same of my birth having happened in Mars, I suppose.

Sabour

I suppose if it turned out that believers suddenly began to actually become wiser, more ethical and more compassionate in a very noticeable way

On the first glance, I would say that the change is in you. Not in them.

But Can you explain that to me ?

And does your reply answer my questions? :confused:

Sabour

Not really.

I suppose if it turned out that believers suddenly began to actually become wiser, more ethical and more compassionate in a very noticeable way it would lead me into wondering if God became real all of a sudden.

But what are the odds? Roughly the same of my birth having happened in Mars, I suppose.

Oh sorry I misread you reply :D .... Lately I am doing that too often :eek:

I didn't see the "if".

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I'll take direct personal manifestation as long as we're fishing. Let God know, k?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Proof is not required whatsoever. Things are what they are. No point in abstracts and conjecture over what would be convincing.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Does that mean a theology which has no flaws ?

Luis' answer would work for me. A religion that noticeably changed the behavior of the believers in a way that seems divinely inspired would get my attention.
There is no such religion. That is Proof that there is no God who cares about humans or what they do. By proof I mean compelling evidence.

I respect Islam. But there is a huge flaw in the theology. And Muslims as a group behave little differently from anyone else.

Tom

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Creativity is a point in and of itself. Every hypothetical is a chance to flex your imagination.

Sabour

Luis' answer would work for me. A religion that noticeably changed the behavior of the believers in a way that seems divinely inspired would get my attention.
There is no such religion. That is Proof that there is no God who cares about humans or what they do. By proof I mean compelling evidence.

I respect Islam. But there is a huge flaw in the theology. And Muslims as a group behave little differently from anyone else.

Tom

It doesn't surprise me you both share the same view. You are two members I deeply respect on this forums.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Q. What proof would you want?

A. As an atheist (it might have been Bertrand Russel)
once said; I'd be a believer if a voice from the sky correctly predicted everything that happens in the next 24 hours.

I think that would be sufficient.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Hello guys.

Whenever I get a reply of " I didn't see enough proof to prove the existence of God", I begin wondering what kind of proof one would say okay that proves that God exists.

So here is my question, what would the proof be like so that you would be convinced?

I don't think that most atheists would require proof at all, just a reasonable case for god. For myself, I would assume that if god exists and has any effect upon the physical universe - that effect would be detectable. So all I would ask is to see that effect.

Bonus question: On a scale of 10, 10 being the highest, how do you rate that there would come a time when you could possibly change your mind

I change my mind all the time.

Another Bonus Question :D. Have you ever been tempted or found something that could be convincing in that aspect?

Sadly no.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If there were a God and He wanted people to believe, it would be a simple matter for Him to make Himself known and clear up all doubt.

His failure to do so, the myriad religions and many self contradictory scriptures lead one to doubt His existence or, at least, his desire to be known.

Sabour

I don't think that most atheists would require proof at all, just a reasonable case for god. For myself, I would assume that if god exists and has any effect upon the physical universe - that effect would be detectable. So all I would ask is to see that effect.

I change my mind all the time.

Sadly no.

Sadly ?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why, indeed.
Isn't it a tenet in Christianity and Islam that all should be brought into the faith?