• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Products Would You Like To See?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've long thought that hand tools aren't designed with weight in mind.
Those of us who carry tools in vehicles could save fuel & vehicle
wear expenses (eg, brakes) if we hauled less weight around.
Titanium & beryllium copper tools are lighter, but far far too spendy.

Weight can be saved by changing designs instead of using
exotic materials.
Examples....
1) Wrenches could have an I-bean cross-section of the handle.
I-beam is the most structurally efficient way possible.
Another would be a tubular handle instead of solid.
2) Ratchets could eliminate the enclosure of the mechanism.
3) Pry bars could use steel ends attached to aluminum tubing.
(I have a couple like this, but they're no longer made.)
4) Machine moving skates could use aluminum frames
instead of steel.
5) Heavy duty jacks could eliminate material where it
doesn't contribute to strength.
There've been some tools made this way, but no one has
brought a comprehensive line of tools dedicated to light weight
for the general mechanic.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There was a company called CarbonLite is playing around with carbon fibre hand tools (with reinforced stainless steel inserts), which are super light. And super expensive. And apparently prone to shedding splinters of carbon fibre...

Their web page appears to be no longer active, so that may be a sign on how successful they were.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There was a company called CarbonLite is playing around with carbon fibre hand tools (with reinforced stainless steel inserts), which are super light. And super expensive. And apparently prone to shedding splinters of carbon fibre...

Their web page appears to be no longer active, so that may be a sign on how successful they were.
I've seen their tools....spendy, weak, bulky, & not ergonomic.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I've seen their tools....spendy, weak, bulky, & not ergonomic.
One possible approach to saving weight would be to have one tool designed to serve multiple applications. So instead of the need to convey 8 tools you may only need to convey 3 or 4....I know of no presently available tools that satisfy your OP......

PureX

Veteran Member
I hate to bring this up, but it's all about the money. No one wants to make a better CHEAPER tool. No one wants to make a better CHEAPER anything. They don't want to even bother making a better something for the same price. All changes have to cost us more to buy, and them less to produce.

The item I would really love to see on the market is a small, fully electric, commuter or utility vehicle (1 or 2 person) in various styles for under 10k, new. We have all the technology necessary for such a vehicle, and some Asian manufacturers are even beginning to make them. But here in the U.S. we're still spending 50k on gigantic vehicles that only one person uses to go back and forth to work each day. These vehicles are so big they can't fit them in most parking lot spaces. And although they can carry 5 or 6 adults, they NEVER are. It's an obscene waste of ... everything.

But most of the small utilitarian EVs made around the world are not available in the U.S. or are illegal to drive on the street, here. And big oil and the big car manufacturers will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way for as long as they can. And it's too bad because most of us are spending way too much for cars that are way over-built for their purpose. We would be served just as well with vehicles that cost 1/3 of what we pay now, and could be many times less complicated and wasteful without sacrificing anything in terms of comfort or functionality.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One possible approach to saving weight would be to have one tool designed to serve multiple applications. So instead of the need to convey 8 tools you may only need to convey 3 or 4....I know of no presently available tools that satisfy your OP......
I have some tools designed for multiple purposes,
eg, wrenches with a spud bar on the handle.
(4th one down I really like.)
OIP.Ihx-9lpcpv4bUDtRtWbOrgAAAA

But one shouldn't carry this multi-purpose thing
too far. There's a type of wrench called a
"windmill wrench" because when climbing up
a windmill, you carry one tool to do it all.
But they're horrible to use.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have one of these Snap-On military wrenches.
I prefer its design to their spendy civilian wrenches
because it has the I-beam cross-section handle.
OIP.yoHlW3knudP3Pa6EFzEZrwHaFj

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

exotic materials.
Examples....
instead of steel.
A good alcohol free whisky.

Vee

Premium Member

exotic materials.
Examples....
instead of steel.

I admire the amount of thought you put into this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No one wants to make a better CHEAPER tool.
That is the most idiotic statement on RF this year.
Nay...the most idiotic statement anywhere.
You've obviously never paid for Snap-On or
Knipex tools. They bring out improved tools
regularly, & they cost an arm & a leg. And we
buy them because they're great.

Wirey

Fartist
I would like to see a TV that puts up a warning that reads "This show is a piece of garbage that will rot your brain and make you dumber" as needed. It could actually just be a sticker.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
A two handed ratchet for tight spaces using a crank instead of a wrist motion. It would look similar to a long handled ratchet but would have a crank near the end of the handle, and you wouldn't need to swing the ratchet back and forth. It could save a few knuckles from getting scratched. Also if you could put different gearing ratios in it might help with loosening stuck nuts.

A small nut warmer to quickly warm and expand tight nuts, so they can be loosened. I suggest it would look somewhat like a long ratchet extension and would rapidly warm up an attached ratchet which would then also warm up the nut.

Double metal sheet cars with roofs constructed like doors are. Instead of a metal sheet with insulation beneath, have an air gap between two sandwiched sheets of metal and insulated paint sprayed on the two inner surfaces. The gap could be vented during the summer and in winter would help keep the internals of the vehicle from heating in the hot sun.

Tires that begin to whistle when the tread has worn too thin.

Ribbed glass windows. Just to show off. We not only make tempered glass. We can make it any shape we want.

Bumper sticker that says "Illuminatus"

Big car cell phone, just like in the old days. It should have a windy cord, heavy mouthpiece, bell ringer and be permanently attached to the vehicle. It should be a car phone, preferably with 2 lines for doing your business deals inside your car.

Book handle to turn any paperback book into an effective defense against knife attacks. Just attach the book handle to a bunch of pages in the middle of your book, and you are ready to block, deter and capture knife blades as they are launched at you. Its yet another way to fight crime with knowledge.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A two handed ratchet for tight spaces using a crank instead of a wrist motion. It would look similar to a long handled ratchet but would have a crank near the end of the handle, and you wouldn't need to swing the ratchet back and forth. It could save a few knuckles from getting scratched. Also if you could put different gearing ratios in it might help with loosening stuck nuts.
I have something like that.
Use the handle normally, or twist it to turn the socket.
A small nut warmer to quickly warm and expand tight nuts, so they can be loosened. I suggest it would look somewhat like a long ratchet extension and would rapidly warm up an attached ratchet which would then also warm up the nut.
An induction heater?
Sounds impractical cuz it would need to be
sized for a narrow range of nut sizes. Spendy.
Double metal sheet cars with roofs constructed like doors are. Instead of a metal sheet with insulation beneath, have an air gap between two sandwiched sheets of metal and insulated paint sprayed on the two inner surfaces. The gap could be vented during the summer and in winter would help keep the internals of the vehicle from heating in the hot sun.

Tires that begin to whistle when the tread has worn too thin.

Ribbed glass windows. Just to show off. We not only make tempered glass. We can make it any shape we want.

Bumper sticker that says "Illuminatus"

Big car cell phone, just like in the old days. It should have a windy cord, heavy mouthpiece, bell ringer and be permanently attached to the vehicle. It should be a car phone, preferably with 2 lines for doing your business deals inside your car.

Book handle to turn any paperback book into an effective defense against knife attacks. Just attach the book handle to a bunch of pages in the middle of your book, and you are ready to block, deter and capture knife blades as they are launched at you. Its yet another way to fight crime with knowledge.
I hope you wear a hat outdoors.
A brain like that should be kept out of the sun.

PureX

Veteran Member
That is the most idiotic statement on RF this year.
Nay...the most idiotic statement anywhere.
You've obviously never paid for Snap-On or
Knipex tools. They bring out improved tools
regularly, & they cost an arm & a leg.
And we
buy them because they're great.
You should really learn how to read.

Sure, they're better. They're also more expensive. That's the key ... ALWAYS more expensive.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have something like that.
Use the handle normally, or twist it to turn the socket.
I'd like to know what it is called, so I can find one and see if its available and worth the expense to me.

An induction heater?
Sounds impractical cuz it would need to be
sized for a narrow range of nut sizes. Spendy.
No, just a very dangerous red-hot thing that goes around the nuts. Ideally it heats the nut quickly enough that the nut momentarily expands faster than the bolt and goes through a moment of time in which is it actually looser than it was allowing the ratchet a short window of opportunity to slip it round. Induction is a clever idea, however it is only going to work on particular metals. My idea might work better for a wider variety of nuts.

I hope you wear a hat outdoors.
A brain like that should be kept out of the sun.
Or a special coolant helmet to keep the brain civil.