• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What philosophy do you follow?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Why are these the only two choices?

In the way you used to, certainly. Once that cake has been baked you can't unbake it. But I say there is certainly a plausible possibility you can reimagine aspects of how you used to believe or feel into newer larger contexts that don't require you lobotomizing your mind to go back to thinking like a child on these things.

I don't think flip sides of the same coin are the only options. You can discover an entirely different currency with which to make your purchases. ;)

Why not have both? Why do interior dimensions of life have to be reduced to externalized scientific languages? Is it necessary or reasonable in any way for us that, "Poetry is turned into prose, truth into statistics, understanding into facts, education into note-taking, art into criticism, symbols into signs, faith into belief," as a favorite quote of mine goes? If we lose the symbolic nature of life, we lose our humanity, we lose our souls, IMHO.

I do as well, but rather than saying evolution is an intelligent creation, I'd say evolution is the creator creating. It is Spirit in motion, creating form in its own image in every moment. Take it for what it is and what it does, and avoid the temptation to make God in your own image that it has a plan or foresight into end results the way a human might plan out their vacation trip. Successful results are repeated, and the success part is the goal, not walking upright and having the appearance of a human being.

You have to strip away anthropomorphic ideals and just take it for what it is and from there shape how you can think about it. I find it quite intelligent in this way, and loving as well as it is quite life affirming, life giving, in spite of the fact that we all die. That's all part of the Design, if you will. And it is truly Beautiful, as well as terrifying to us blossoming and withering lilies of the Field.

The question of God sort of becomes a non-question at a certain point. It really becomes more a matter of how we choose to talk about whatever this "Ultimate Environment" is to us. I can just as easily speak of it as God, as I can No-God. Atheism and Theism become really more figures of speech, than definitions of what this Ultimate Reality is.

We get too hung up on trying to figure out what "it" is, as if it were something external to us. In reality, we are "it", subjectively, as well as objectively. We cannot be separated from it, and the ways we talk about Reality will always include us in it. Your personal identity in reality is not forfeited, but actually fully and completely Realized.

This might be something that might be meaningful to you as really high-level introduction to Integral Theory (which is where I land on the question of the OP). From that basic sort of view, I come to what I've shared above in how I think about it for myself. https://www.amazon.com/Sociable-God-Toward-Understanding-Religion/dp/1590302249
hey thanks, I'll check out the book, see where it leads.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd suppose the subject line says it all.

But I would like you to explain why you follow it.

Is your philosophy closely linked to your religion or to your political view or to science?

I do have not any philosophy to the exclusion of all others; no one philosophy rules my life, because I don't think it is practical.

I would have to say that I do pick up philosophy here and philosophy there...anything that suit me, the way I think or that might suit my personality, but I have never study any philosophy.
That is like me. I believe in the Greater Power of God to lead me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the first philosophies I followed was Perennial philosophy, which led me to Theosophy, and most recently Advaita Vedanta.

Why? I have always viewed this "reality" in which we live as a construct/illusion designed to develop one's Self to attain enlightenment. I believe there is an Absolute Truth that through this enlightenment, can be known.

I've also been known to dabble in Discordianism because for some reason I can't understand, it brings me joy...

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A practical aspect of my philosophy is; too many words, and I am not going to read it. Sometimes I do, but not often.

Ponder This

I'm not interested in following a particular philosophy as opposed to some other philosophy. To me that doesn't really make sense because philosophy is about the quest for rather than the attainment of. It hasn't been fully discovered yet because it is constantly unfolding... changing even as time changes, one moment to the next.

gnostic

The Lost One
Sorry... I can't resist my Devil's Advocate instincts here. :p

So the line "because I don't think it is practical" implies you have some underlying philosophy in the subject of decision theory rooted in your outlook on things.

The assumption that a human being can judge what is practical implies some acceptance of the philosophy of rationality. :p

So you do have underlying philosophies. ;)
"Underlying" may be the case.

I would guess that there is philosophy called "Pragmatism", not that I ever study or read up on Pragmatism.

I have never studied any philosophy in my tertiary studies. The only times any subject mention particular philosophies, was my "Academic Research" for Conputer Science course, where our lecturer gave us definitions to Epistemology, Ontology and Metaphysics in relation to knowledge and research, but we never need to study these in details.

I don't think I have the patience to study philosophies for their own sakes.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Physicalist and secular humanist. In questions of deities, I tend to be ignostic: the concepts are not well enough defined to be a reasonable topic of conversation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
to find another source of knowledge, that might lead to a truth of higher power. also, to never die. I'm not afraid of death, but life is good, and ceasing to exist is tragic.

You can't speak reality into existence though.
If eternal life doesn't exist, belief in eternal life doesn't make a lick of difference.

I have no issue with you using religion as a vehicle, btw. But philosophy or whatever appears equally valid (to me).

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Is your philosophy closely linked to your religion or to your political view or to science?

I do have not any philosophy to the exclusion of all others; no one philosophy rules my life, because I don't think it is practical.

I would have to say that I do pick up philosophy here and philosophy there...anything that suit me, the way I think or that might suit my personality, but I have never study any philosophy.

In all honesty and I am being serious.... I follow the Popeye Philosophy.... I am what I am and thats all that I am..... so far it has worked pretty well for me

Flame

Beware
I've always leaned towards Aburdism, particularly Albert Camus' work; although I don't fully agree to some of the concepts involved. I've tried branching out in the past multiple times only to fall back to square one.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I don't follow any one philosophy. I agree with multiple philosophies on different things. I try to live by some aspects of philosophy but... I don't really know what word I would choose to describe my philosophical stance.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I have worldview that stems from my research into science and religion. In pantheism all would be god or godlike. This kinda makes me have a deeper respect, not just for others but all animals and existence itself. I am always in search for truth and so whatever political affiliations are ones I feel are seeking truth. The progressives were the first to start advocating civil rights. All these ideas seem inevitable to me with respect to Big Bang cosmology in which case all the universe is still one and it happened everywhere you see space.

arthra

Baha'i
But I would like you to explain why you follow it. Is your philosophy closely linked to your religion or to your political view or to science?

I had courses of philosophy in university and leaned toward platonism and neo platonism but along the way society was experiencing the anti-war movement in the Vietnam War years along with the Civil Rights movement about the same time. I had joined the NAACP participated in the civil rights struggle and also demonstrated against the war.

It was around 1965 I came across a few Baha'i books in the library and was deeply impressed by the spiritual perspective which also happened to correspond with my research in religion...that Christ, Krishna, Buddha were connected as Manifestations. It was then I became a Baha'i and the social philosophy of the oneness of humanity, the abolition of war and the oneness of religion all came together and "clicked".

Abdul-Baha also spoke about the importance of "spiritual philosophy":

"Philosophy is of two kinds: natural and divine. Natural philosophy seeks knowledge of physical verities and explains material phenomena, whereas divine philosophy deals with ideal verities and phenomena of the spirit. The field and scope of natural philosophy have been greatly enlarged, and its accomplishments are most praiseworthy, for it has served humanity. But according to the evidence of present world conditions divine philosophy -- which has for its object the sublimation of human nature, spiritual advancement, heavenly guidance for the development of the human race, attainment to the breaths of the Holy Spirit and knowledge of the verities of God -- has been outdistanced and neglected. Now is the time for us to make an effort and enable it to advance apace with the philosophy of material investigation so that awakening of the ideal virtues may progress equally with the unfoldment of the natural powers."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 325

Last edited:

LukeS

I'm a Muslim liking "taqua" (natural and supernatural safeguarding of self, basically keeping me safe).

Also chittamatra Buddhism (where ones reality is 'dream like' dependent on memory projections/storehouse consciousness). I like the idea of a wish fulfilling tree (kalpariksha), the purer and more beautiful the image in my imagination, this reflects the purity an beauty of my consciousness.

This is pragmatic in that it puts me in the hot seat of responsibility for perception. I like the Buddhist ideas of "sem" (something like everyday wondering discursive consicouness) and "rigpa" (more like trance, deep hazy meditation with less concpetualisaiton).

Also I am close to objectivism ethically, in that I believe that some states of human life are to be preferred, like it or not.

Politicaly I'm a self critical cynic in that I don't care too much about the "big debate" because I don't impact it, I prefer micro scale actions which are my proper field. If in the big field I use creative visualisation - light rays of healing directed towards the "news consciousness" rather than discussion.

Logically I go with classical and non standard logics, especially liking axioliogical logic its useful in ethics, going from is to ought..

Last edited:

LukeS

I've always leaned towards Aburdism, particularly Albert Camus' work; although I don't fully agree to some of the concepts involved. I've tried branching out in the past multiple times only to fall back to square one.
Is that an affirmative absurdism like Dada/Surreality, or negative and depressing?