• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What organization is this?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Today is Elizabeth's funeral. In honour of the occasion, one of our candidates for local office (Ontario has municipal elections next month) posted something on Facebook about Elizabeth and what she meant to him. The post included this picture:

FB_IMG_1663584089256.jpg

What organization, order or whatnot are all these things from? Anyone have any idea?

The crown and overall style reminds me of an Orange Order sash (and I've seen that red cross on Orange Order sashes before). However, those Maltese Crosses seem "too Catholic" for Orange Order regalia.

Is this regalia familiar to anyone? Do you know what it represents?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
It may be a home-made costume that he just made up himself so as to appear important?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Also, I'm no expert but I believe official decorations are supposed to go on the left?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I can't tell whether it's a mirrored selfie, so I'm not sure how much weight to put on that.
I think his sash appears to be on the right way round though

I'm no expert but I think a sash is supposed to go over the left shoulder

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I think his sash appears to be on the right way round though

I'm no expert but I think a sash is supposed to go over the left shoulder
Forget that I was wrong!

Wikipedia says that in commonwealth traditions it goes over the right shoulder

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Pretty sure it's the Royal Black Knights, which I want to say is an extension of the Orange Order. Maybe more religious and less cultural?
Don't know a ton about it, but that's my guess. The symbols look about right. They've always looked masonic to me.

(I've done a lot of reading on Ireland over the years. No idea about Canada, but there appears to be a chapter, so that's my guess)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pretty sure it's the Royal Black Knights, which I want to say is an extension of the Orange Order. Maybe more religious and less cultural?
Don't know a ton about it, but that's my guess. The symbols look about right. They've always looked masonic to me.

(I've done a lot of reading on Ireland over the years. No idea about Canada, but there appears to be a chapter, so that's my guess)

I don't know much about it but I've heard of the Royal Black Knights,

6184y8oTMEL.jpg

Edit, and a wiki

Royal Black Institution - Wikipedia

those Maltese Crosses seem "too Catholic" for Orange Order regalia.

The cross with laurel leaf circle is used on a variety of medals associated with the House of Orange-Nassau.

Hard to see, but his medal might be a riff on that, thus avoiding the cardinal sin of popery :D

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
@9-10ths_Penguin

Just out of interest...

What party is this character a member of? What are his policies? And what did he say about Elizabeth II?
We don't have parties in municipal politics here, but he used to work in the constituency office of our Conservative MPP.

His post is here: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Here's the text:

Today we honour our blessed Sovereign, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. As the longest reigning Monarch of the United Kingdom and British Commonwealth, she was a stalwart presence in an ever changing world: "I have behind me not only the splendid traditions and the annals of more than a thousand years but the living strength and majesty of the Commonwealth and Empire; of societies old and new; of lands and races different in history and origins but all, by God's Will, united in spirit and in aim."
She modeled a sense of service and duty that has inspired many, including me. Christmas is my favourite time of year and I have always looked forward to the Queen's Christmas messages: "For many, Christmas is also a time for coming together. But for others, service will come first."
As we remember her and mark her passing, we also acknowledge the accession of King Charles III, King of Canada. May His Majesty's reign be blessed by all the lessons he learned from his mother. God Save the King.