• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What or Who is Babylon the Great?

may said:
so why do you think that she has a name such as ( babylon the great ) it is because she is the world empire of false religion with babylonish teachings
Such Babylonish doctrines as the immortality of the soul, a burning hell, and the Trinity were incorporated into the teachings of apostate Christianity. but dont think that only apostate chirtanity is at fault there are loads of religions that are contaminated not just christendom

Gods people are not in bondage to babylonish teachings

True religion has never been completely stamped out. There have always been truth-lovers throughout the centuries, some of whom paid with their lives for their faithfulness to Jehovah and his Word, the Bible.

Among the teachings prominent in ancient Babylon were: worship of a triad or trinity of gods, the belief that the human soul could not die, and the teaching that persons suffered after death in an underground world or "land of no return." The use of images also played a large part in Babylonian worship.

Babylon​
the Great

Definition: The world empire of false religion, embracing all religions whose teachings and practices do not conform to the true worship of Jehovah, the only true God. Following the Flood of Noah’s day, false religion had its beginning at Babel (later known as Babylon). (Gen. 10:8-10; 11:4-9) In time, Babylonish religious beliefs and practices spread to many lands. So Babylon the Great became a fitting name for false religion as a whole

fale=not real=doesn't exist
why would god call a place a whore?
what lands did she rape? (reap,taketh,etc)
babel was a tower,babylon is a church [in state]
and NYC is the reflection of her/its images as we are of gods.
if she is false,then why read the bible,is it a fake as well?
think about that.

may

blood-lord14 said:
fale=not real=doesn't exist
why would god call a place a whore?
what lands did she rape? (reap,taketh,etc)
babel was a tower,babylon is a church [in state]
and NYC is the reflection of her/its images as we are of gods.
if she is false,then why read the bible,is it a fake as well?
think about that.
true religion based on Jesus teaching are not contaminated with babylonish teachings ,true religion based on the bible which is Gods word ,is not part of babylon the great , true teachings based on the bible are pure teachings
Now this "Babylon the Great" must be a formidable woman, for the account says in verse 1 that she "sits on many waters." What does that mean? God’s angel explained to John: "The waters that you saw, where the harlot is sitting, mean peoples and crowds and nations and tongues." (Revelation 17:15) Without a doubt this is a prostitute with worldwide influence.

in the seventeenth chapter, we read of God’s judgment to be executed on "Babylon the Great, the mother of the harlots and of the disgusting things of the earth." (Revelation 17:5) This "Babylon the Great" is no one else but the world empire of false religion, of which Christendom’s churches form the principal part. Christendom, which purports to be in covenant relationship with God, is the modern-day apostate "Jerusalem

may said:
true religion based on Jesus teaching are not contaminated with babylonish teachings ,true religion based on the bible which is Gods word ,is not part of babylon the great , true teachings based on the bible are pure teachings
Now this "Babylon the Great" must be a formidable woman, for the account says in verse 1 that she "sits on many waters." What does that mean? God’s angel explained to John: "The waters that you saw, where the harlot is sitting, mean peoples and crowds and nations and tongues." (Revelation 17:15) Without a doubt this is a prostitute with worldwide influence.

in the seventeenth chapter, we read of God’s judgment to be executed on "Babylon the Great, the mother of the harlots and of the disgusting things of the earth." (Revelation 17:5) This "Babylon the Great" is no one else but the world empire of false religion, of which Christendom’s churches form the principal part. Christendom, which purports to be in covenant relationship with God, is the modern-day apostate "Jerusalem

god is just a belief given chance to be real because we lured ourselves into such rubbish called "the truth" and "the way" and so on so forth
he has claimed his works to be good we are fuel to his fire
and what good of a god is that?

Ernestine

The original city of Babylon was built by Nimrod, the great, great grandson of Noah. Nimrod was a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah. Babylon had many false gods, false temples and false worship. It was in Babylon that they decided to build a temple to the heavens for the gods. Jehovah God confused their language so that they were unable to communicate with each other and they were scattered about the earth taking their false religious beliefs with them. The Babylon the Great that is referred to in Revelation is the world empire of false religion (hence the connection with the original Babylon). Over the course of history, religion has woefully represented God and his purpose. She (Babylon the Great) has adulterated herself with the Kings and politicians of the world living in luxury rather than supporting God's coming Kingdom. It is this Babylon the Great that will be destroyed just prior to Armageddon when the kings of the earth turn on her, as it is prophesied.

blood-lord14 said:
god is just a belief given chance to be real because we lured ourselves into such rubbish called "the truth" and "the way" and so on so forth
he has claimed his works to be good we are fuel to his fire
and what good of a god is that?
If God was just a 'belief' then we would have no evidence to proof of his existence. However, does not the complexity of creation indicate that the First Cause must have had great intelligence? Intelligence requires a mind. The great mind responsible for all creation must belong to God, unless you think this has all happened by chance?

BM5

The Whore = U.S.A sitting astride the Beast = E.U. (10 original members)

It is basically the American way of life, i.e.- materialism

The Chalice full of Blasphemies = control of ALL organized religions.

Mark of the Beast is not the Cross at all ,it is PERVERSION !

may

BM5 said:

the whore is the world empire of false religion,
after her destruction, "the kings of the earth" are said to mourn her passing. Therefore, she cannot be a political power. (Revelation 18:9, 10) Additionally, since she is mourned also by the world’s merchants, she could not picture big business. (Revelation 18:15, 16) We read, however, that ‘by her spiritistic practice all the nations were misled.’ (Revelation 18:23) This makes it clear that the great harlot must be a worldwide religious entity

church in state
babylon the great!!

church in state
babylon the great!!

church in state
babylon the great!!

me:church and state
pope:stupid and evil
me:please remove all stupid and evil believers
pope:wait i cant
me:whynot
pope: i still need my paycheck for this hoax between the christians and the catholics.....
me:yeah ok have fun with that sir
pope:eek:h i will...i will indeed...(evil laugh)
me:listen hear you religous zealot greed is a sin...so stop making yourself such a pimple on the face of the earth word has no value and is not real i will not allow myself to be dealt with such a self-cenetered retard who can only plot wordviruses into mulitple people's minds....this is nature's harmonic truth and your ignorance is the highest for of evil ever known.
pope:well geez kid all i want is a little comedy
me:I dont think you deserve even that enslaving people with lies is not a righteous way of god that is why he has been cornered as a homosexual
you need to stop the game your playing and go hiking for once...because you never experienced fresh air you allowed yourself to be posioned by the other pope's belief's.
pope:you will never win
me:want a bet
pope:yes...im putting all catholic churches on the line
me:and
pope:and the pope hat
me:and
pope:curse your blasphemy young one
me:likewise old one...

may

In the symbolism of Revelation, Babylon the Great is referred to as a "great city," a "kingdom" that rules other kings. (Rev. 17:18) Like a city, it would have many organizations within it; and like a kingdom that includes other kings in its domain, it would be international in scope. It is described as having relations with political rulers and contributing much to the wealth of men in commerce, while itself being a third element that "has become a dwelling place of demons" and a persecutor of "prophets and of holy ones."—Rev. 18:2, 9-17, 24.
Ancient Babylon was outstandingly noted for its religion and its defiance of Jehovah

Gen. 10:8-10: "Nimrod . . . displayed himself a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah. . . . And the beginning of his kingdom came to be Babel [later known as Babylon]."​

Dan. 5:22, 23: "As for you [Belshazzar king of Babylon] . . . against the Lord of the heavens you exalted yourself, . . . and you have praised mere gods of silver and of gold, copper, iron, wood and stone, that are beholding nothing or hearing nothing or knowing nothing; but the God in whose hand your breath is and to whom all your ways belong you have not glorified."

An ancient cuneiform inscription reads: "Altogether there are in Babylon 53 temples of the chief gods, 55 chapels of Marduk, 300 chapels for the earthly deities, 600 for the heavenly deities, 180 altars for the goddess Ishtar, 180 for the gods Nergal and Adad and 12 other altars for different gods."—Quoted in The Bible as History (New York, 1964), W. Keller, p. 301.

The​
Encyclopedia Americana comments: "Sumerian civilization [which was part of Babylonia] was dominated by priests; at the head of the state was the lugal (literally ‘great man’), the representative of the gods."—(1977), Vol. 3, p. 9.​

Reasonably, therefore, Babylon the Great as referred to in Revelation is religious. Being like a city and an empire, it is not limited to one religious group but includes all religions that are in opposition to Jehovah, the true God.

Ernestine

The original city of Babylon was the center of false worship where many different false gods were honored and revered. Sticking with that theme, Babylon the Great is the world empire of false religion. In Revelation, she is portrayed as riding on the backs of kings, which basically means that throughout history instead of promoting God's Kingdom, religion has been involved in the political elements of the world. Religion has falsely represented God. It is precisely these political elements that will soon turn upon her (religion) and destroy her as prophecied.

Adstar

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
Yet another fun debate!
I'd like to know what you guys think Babylon The Great is.

Revelation 17:5*(New King James Version)

And on her forehead a name was written:
****** MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

Is it a person, a place, an organisation, a country, a beleif etc, etc...please discuss. Ta!

The Harlot is a false religion that also has control over a great world power. This power is a centre of world trade and is rich.

Woman in prophesy often represent religions. A virgin is a faith loyal to God a Harlot is a false faith who mixes the Word of God with the thoughts of men, that gets in to bed with the satanic powers of this world.

There are a few current candidates for the harlot in this world. We as Christians should keep our eyes open to the possibilities.

Note: The Harlot is Not the Beast. The Beast will be another great World power that will destroy the Harlot. The beast is a conglomeration of nations that will not be as solid with the same amount of central control as former great empires. But never the less the leaders of these states will give their control over to the anti-christ in the times just before the second coming of the Messiah Jesus.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar

BM5 said:

:)
Yes these are the main candidates for the Harlot and the beast in my thinking. There is a false, Babylonian type religion that controls America and is also present in many different nations. Do you know what it is?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

may

Ernestine said:
The original city of Babylon was the center of false worship where many different false gods were honored and revered. Sticking with that theme, Babylon the Great is the world empire of false religion. In Revelation, she is portrayed as riding on the backs of kings, which basically means that throughout history instead of promoting God's Kingdom, religion has been involved in the political elements of the world. Religion has falsely represented God. It is precisely these political elements that will soon turn upon her (religion) and destroy her as prophecied.
yes ,i agree , no wonder that Jehovah God is making the way out for his people,
And I heard another voice out of heaven say: "Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. revelation 18;4
And you people will again certainly see [the distinction] between a righteous one and a wicked one, between one serving God and one who has not served him. ..... malachi 3;18 yes as you say , promoting Gods established heavenly kingdom is the way to go for true christianity, then we will not share in babylons sins, or recieve any of her plaques

Sharleen

Those who identify babylon to be rome are very very wrong ,babylon is babylon , rome is rome , babylon is identify in the holy bible as a city with many rivers , rome is calld the city with seven hills ,thank you and may god blees you all .

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Those who identify babylon to be rome are very very wrong ,babylon is babylon , rome is rome , babylon is identify in the holy bible as a city with many rivers , rome is calld the city with seven hills ,thank you and may god blees you all .

"Babylon" actually was code among some early Christians for Rome.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
First a bit of background. Babylon was a city in Mesopetamia (Iraq). In Babylon they created the tower of Babylon which was supposed to be mans way to Heaven. This ofcourse is an abomination because the people of Babylon tried to loop hole God and create their own way to heaven. Which of course is an abomination to God. So He divided the people by making them all speak in different languages. Supposedly this is where the word "babble", came from, because after God cursed them, hardly anyone in Babylon spoke the same langauge.

Now the whore of babylon, the abomination etc etc etc, is in referrence to this story. So my conclusion is that the whore of babylon is a false church, which leads people to follow the anti-christ. What is exactly this false church/religion is I do not know nor have a solid theory to present.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
It seems that Jerusalem has the tradition of a city built on seven hills *, and certainly Jesus (ironically prophetical) accused it of being the killer of the prophets (Matthew 23:37) so it must be considered also as the candidate of Babylon.

Jerusalem Israel: History of Jerusalem Holy Sites
Throughout the history of Jerusalem, the Jewish, Christian and Muslim faiths have treasured the sacredness of the Holy Land and its Holy City Jerusalem. From the uniqueness of this City built on Seven Hills, each faith has flourished.

The three Abrahamic religious institutions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam that flourish there also trigger (rightly or wrongly) an association with the three spirits that go forth from the mouth of the dragon, the mouth of the beast, and the mouth of the false prophet that go forth to all the kings of the world to bring them together for the great battle of Armageddon, (Rev. 16:14) and the prophetic "earthquake" that will split the great city Babylon into three parts (Rev.16:19).

Muffled

Jesus in me
It seems that Jerusalem has the tradition of a city built on seven hills *, and certainly Jesus (ironically prophetical) accused it of being the killer of the prophets (Matthew 23:37) so it must be considered also as the candidate of Babylon.

The three Abrahamic religious institutions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam that flourish there also trigger (rightly or wrongly) an association with the three spirits that go forth from the mouth of the dragon, the mouth of the beast, and the mouth of the false prophet that go forth to all the kings of the world to bring them together for the great battle of Armageddon, (Rev. 16:14) and the prophetic "earthquake" that will split the great city Babylon into three parts (Rev.16:19).

Jerusalem fits some things but not all clues. I am beginning to think there is a double fulfillment of Jerusalem and New York City. THis wouldn't be the first time for prophecy to have double fulfillments.

There is one thing that both cities have in common: large populations of Jews. From the moment that Jews chose Jesus as their Messiah there were also those who rejected him. By doing so they became anti-christ killing James and would have done for Peter if God hadn't rescued him.

Jerusalem fits as the seat of the Anti-christ (Mr 666) who has to be Jewish in order to pass as the Messiah the Jews would accept instead of accepting the real Messiah Jesus. Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father’s name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. The Anti-Christ will bring world peace by bringing all the Abrahamic religions together as one religion but it is false religion ("harlot") in God's view. However after 3 and half years of peace the Anti-christ shows his true stripes and the nations are gather against Israel to destroy it and Jerusalem.

NYC has the UN where there is a babble of tongues and the city itself has a population that is similar. In a sense the UN could be considered a body that rules the nations of the world and would be more so if politics in the USA changes to encourage it. NYC sits on many waters ie the Hudson River, The East River, Long Island Sound and the Atlantic Ocean. NYC is also a huge commercial city welcoming ships from every nation and it is a financial capitol of the world making men wealthy. For laughs there is a New Babylon NY on Long Island.

Jerusalem sits on the beast which is the Arab League. The Arabs hate the jews. All you have to do is listen to Amadinajad rail at destroying them to realize he is just a sympton of the sickness not a cause of it. It would not surprise me if he were the Mahdi. The name fits.
Israel is the nation that was, then was not, and now is again, and geographically sits astride her Arab neighbors.

lockyfan

Yet another fun debate!

****** MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

Is it a person, a place, an organisation, a country, a beleif etc, etc...please discuss. Ta!

heres a shocker

RELIGION!!!! or false religion to be exact.

sciotamicks

Yet another fun debate!

Hello,

What does the scriptrue say who Mystery Babylon is?

She is responsible for the:

Blood of the prophets and saints.

Jesus called who to this charge?