• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What matters, whats real?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If John Doe believes in a god and you don't, why does what's he believes in matter so much to you?

Evidence for a god can neither show a god does or doesn't exist.

The arguement of both has to come from a belief because neither have supporting evidence(a god can neither be proven or disproven)

So my question is what makes anyone think their belief is stronger than the belief of others?

Why it matters, it doesn't, what does matter is when a believer (or disbeliever) tries to force their belief.

Evidence... Or lack of it. I do not believe in god in just the same way that i don't believe in invisible pink unicorns

Justanatheist

What is religion? Are all versions of religion Christian? What is your evidence for that? What is your evidence for what religion is?

Religion is faith that something exists beyond that which confirm by empirical evidence in my opinion.

At least in relation to our discussion, religion is obviously a lot more than just that.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Religion is faith that something exists beyond that which confirm by empirical evidence in my opinion.

Yeh, that is your opinion and thus confirms my claim.
In fact you have a particular belief about what empirical is and there is at least one other version of empirical, which would change what science is.

Justanatheist

Yeh, that is your opinion and thus confirms my claim.
In fact you have a particular belief about what empirical is and there is at least one other version of empirical, which would change what science is.
Ok then explain what my understanding of empirical is and what this other understanding of empirical is?

RestlessSoul

Lets look at the words of one of the most well known apologetics in the world, William Lane Craig.

“Should a conflict arise between the witness of the Holy Spirit to the fundamental truth of the Christian faith and beliefs based on argument and evidence then it is the former which must take precedence over the latter.”

We can see how religion is a closed system, it has its fundamental conclusions and no matter what evidence or argument is offered its core truths must be accepted as such.
It is none falsifiable.

Science on the other hand would rip down any theory for which a better theory is produced, in fact we can see where science has done this time and time again.

You think William Lane Craig speaks for all religious and spiritual people?

This is not the 16th Century, heretics are not burned at the stake. The established churches these days, are at least as tolerant of their heretics as the scientific community is of theirs - perhaps more so.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Ok then explain what my understanding of empirical is and what this other understanding of empirical is?

That either knowledge is only based on observation or in part on observation. Empirical is philosophy and science relies as you in effect do it on certain philosophical assumptions for which others are possible.

Justanatheist

You think William Lane Craig speaks for all religious and spiritual people?

This is not the 16th Century, heretics are not burned at the stake. The established churches these days, are at least as tolerant of their heretics as the scientific community is of theirs - perhaps more so.

Really, can you tell me when a scientific community last stoned an apostate to death.

I was using an example of one of the most intelligent religious persons as a good example of the religious, if you want to discuss some of the less enlightened we can do so.

Lets look at how science has offered excellent evidence that homosexuality is not a choice, yet still it is denied for no better reason than scriptures say so.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Really, can you tell me when a scientific community last stoned an apostate to death.

I was using an example of one of the most intelligent religious persons as a good example of the religious, if you want to discuss some of the less enlightened we can do so.

Lets look at how science has offered excellent evidence that homosexuality is not a choice, yet still it is denied for no better reason than scriptures say so.

So you have empirical evidence that all religions are like that and you have empirical evidence that is a good example as good is empirical?

Justanatheist

That either knowledge is only based on observation or in part on observation. Empirical is philosophy and science relies as you in effect do it on certain philosophical assumptions for which others are possible.
Exactly science and philosophy do not deal in absolutes, religion does. We are debating religion and science not philosophy. Nice switch though.