• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What matters, whats real?

We Never Know

No Slack
If John Doe believes in a god and you don't, why does what's he believes in matter so much to you?

Evidence for a god can neither show a god does or doesn't exist.

The arguement of both has to come from a belief because neither have supporting evidence(a god can neither be proven or disproven)

So my question is what makes anyone think their belief is stronger than the belief of others?

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You tell me. You brought it up.

The best way I can describe it is... and sorry if I'm getting this wrong or wrong in certain translations....

Jesus said something like "I am the way, the truth, the life."

Pontius Pilate said, "What is truth?"

So I'm actually saying I don't have the answers.

So...

What is truth?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If John Doe believes in a god and you don't, why does what's he believes in matter so much to you?

Evidence for a god can neither show a god does or doesn't exist.

The arguement of both has to come from a belief because neither have supporting evidence(a god can neither be proven or disproven)

So my question is what makes anyone think their belief is stronger than the belief of others?

It doesn't. 99.9% (not a real estimate) of the time I think most atheists don't care.

Personally, I'm curious if people believe the god many atheist say theist believe in. Do some theist believe God is an actual being or entity?

So far I haven't heard so. Outside of stagnated curiosity, I don't believe matters.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
The best way I can describe it is... and sorry if I'm getting this wrong or wrong in certain translations....

Jesus said something like "I am the way, the truth, the life."

Pontius Pilate said, "What is truth?"

So I'm actually saying I don't have the answers.

So...

What is truth?

So like me, in some(many) things we don't know what is truth. We can only go by what others say or portray is truth.
Which goes back to " my question is what makes anyone think their belief is stronger than the belief of others?"

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So like me, in some(many) things we don't know what is truth. We can only go by what others say or portray is truth.
Which goes back to " my question is what makes anyone think their belief is stronger than the belief of others?"

I can't say my beliefs are stronger because first we'd have to define truth.

We Never Know

No Slack
It doesn't. 99.9% (not a real estimate) of the time I think most atheists don't care.

Personally, I'm curious if people believe the god many atheist day theist believe in. Do some theist believe God is an actual being or entity?

So far I haven't heard so. Outside if stagnated curiousity, I don't believe matters

A god cannot be shown to exist or not exist so I sometimes wonder how anyone can be sure about something that cant be shown.

We Never Know

No Slack
Without truth, the strength of a debater / debate comes down to whom is the better arguer.

Yes. If I caught a record breaking bass, but it jumped out my boat... Did it happen or not?
Sometimes things did happen but can't be proven and people get tired of arguing and just give up. Its still doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Total absence of evidence with the theists which works in favor of atheists.
2. What science has found out for creation of the universe and evolution of humans.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yes. If I caught a record breaking bass, but it jumped out my boat... Did it happen or not?
Sometimes things did happen but can't be proven and people get tired of arguing and just give up. Its still doesn't mean it didn't happen.

In the case of the bass, it wouldn't really make a great debate subject if seeing things like a formal debate.

It might make a good discussion though. However, sometimes people try to blur/pidgeon-hole the line between discussion/debate too. For example, if you're not careful how you word that you "caught a massive fish with no proof", some posters may still be prone to ask proof of larger, less likely claims even if it's a discussion. However if instead you ask about if others have caught large fish, and that's all, honestly it's more of a discussion to me.

I guess I'm saying that there are some situations where making some outrageous claims with no proof, true as they might be, might not be a great post, in my opinion.

There are some discussions that are hard to stay discussions though, too. If I post in a non-debate board "Lord Shiva manifested himself in the flesh, kissed me, and now I think we're getting married!" that'd be like I was just asking for it, and asking for a grilling from people.

My statements are just my personal opinion.

Last edited: