• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes you happy?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings fellow Earthlings!

I hope you are enjoying your time with us here at the forum today.

The Berkeley well beings site is worthy of a visit.

IMHO anyway ...

Here's a small taste of just one of their many articles -

When we don’t feel good about ourselves, it’s easy to think that there’s something fundamentally wrong with us; it feels deeply rooted and unchangeable. In reality, though, we may have failed to clarify (and then pursue) exactly what would make us feel like that person we would love.

This is why courageous self-compassion is a key to what makes us happy.
See if courageous self-compassion makes you happy with an activity: Self-Compassion >>

More advice and a few videos in the same article -

What Makes You Happy?

Enjoy your browsing!

:)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Greetings fellow Earthlings!

I hope you are enjoying your time with us here at the forum today.

The Berkeley well beings site is worthy of a visit.

IMHO anyway ...

Here's a small taste of just one of their many articles -

When we don’t feel good about ourselves, it’s easy to think that there’s something fundamentally wrong with us; it feels deeply rooted and unchangeable. In reality, though, we may have failed to clarify (and then pursue) exactly what would make us feel like that person we would love.

This is why courageous self-compassion is a key to what makes us happy.
See if courageous self-compassion makes you happy with an activity: Self-Compassion >>

More advice and a few videos in the same article -

What Makes You Happy?

Enjoy your browsing!

:)

I hope people will find some benefit from that link.
For me, I find that if we want to have some control over our own happiness, it needs to be an internal process.
Of course the external world has a way of impinging on the best of mental fortifications. Sometimes I find it necessary to take a solitary moment, maybe a few of then to shore up the fortifications.
Generally though, the source of my happiness comes from inside. My view, my interpretation of the world.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ordinary happiness: a good night's sleep, a massage, a hug, some great food, my dog's wagging tail, a good book and so forth.

Deeper happiness, joy, comes with the diminishing of the "veil" of the ego, what is called the lower "nafs" in Islamic Sufism. This can be for a moment or slowly over the longer term.

Here's an example: the other day I was leaving an endodontist office knowing that I'm going to lose a tooth and will need some costly dental work besides. Wrapped up in thoughts about this I got into my car. The song streaming from my phone to the car was repeating these lyrics "Love is all that matters now".

Instantly my self-absorption vanished (for a while) and I remembered how trivial the loss of a tooth really is and how much worse so many many people have it. The feeling that accompanied that realization was joy.

Earthtank

Arguing with people online. Does that qualify? I mean yeah it can be stressful but its fun and makes me happy when I read someone's post and think "what an idiot, I am far too superior to even reply"