• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes the Bible so believable for people?

danbro4801

Hmmm I know a lot of people have said something about this already so my response may be lost in the thread but why not give it a shot. I hear what you are saying. There is no proof about any of the bible being written based on facts and real people or even real events I get it, I do. I feel like the only thing I can say is what anyone would say for any religion that exists in this world is that it's a belief. Beliefs can be the same or different from facts no one knows and the ones who do know where the ones who wrote it in the first place.
However, if it's something you feel in your heart as true and you believe it and you feel it's right based on how you feel and what you personally believe then sure whatever that religion is, is for you so if you don't get the bible or understand what they have to say or you just don't agree then it's not for you don't dwell on why it's wrong just find what you believe in.

Faithofchristian

This is just silly.

Fortunately, Christ did not take to this sort of obtuse elitism and exclusionism.

Christ most certainly did, that just shows that even you have no idea what the Bible supports and confirm's.

Christ did say in Matthew 24:21-22
21-- "For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be"

22-- "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened"

Therefore the only reason why Christ is shortened the days of the tribulation, is because of Christ's elect.

So where does that leave other people at, that are not of Christ's elect ?

Faithofchristian

Some Christians are so insecure in their beliefs that the mere mention of these facts causes paroxysms. What kind of Christian would rather live with lies than accept and come to understand a truth? Fortunately, I'm a big boy. I seem to be able to handle it and be able to go on to converse rationally, and happily I would add, with those nonbelievers that are knowledgeable of the history. I don't consider the Bible to be dictated by God anyway and I see no reason it has to be. It is flawed just as the people that wrote it and follow it are. If it was perfect...well, we would never learn anything on our own.

Alot of people, like yourself will say, the Bible is flawed, by this only shows that you and them have no idea what the Bible says or confirm's.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Alot of people, like yourself will say, the Bible is flawed, by this only shows that you and them have no idea what the Bible says or confirm's.
On the contrary, it shows that such people are rational and secure in their faith, like the early church fathers, who could see the flaws perfectly well. Origen, for instance, had this to say about taking Genesis literally, around 200AD:

"Who is so silly as to believe that God, after the manner of a farmer, planted a paradise eastward in Eden, and set in it a visible and palpable tree of life, of such a sort that anyone who tasted its fruit with his bodily teeth would gain life?"

Origen is one of the most respected thinkers of the early church. He, like Jewish scholars of his time, read the Genesis account as they read Homer - allegorically.

There is no conflict between the idea of the bible being divinely inspired and the recognition that it contains flaws. After all, it was written by mere men, subject to all the usual human frailties.

Faithofchristian

On the contrary, it shows that such people are rational and secure in their faith, like the early church fathers, who could see the flaws perfectly well. Origen, for instance, had this to say about taking Genesis literally, around 200AD:

"Who is so silly as to believe that God, after the manner of a farmer, planted a paradise eastward in Eden, and set in it a visible and palpable tree of life, of such a sort that anyone who tasted its fruit with his bodily teeth would gain life?"

Origen is one of the most respected thinkers of the early church. He, like Jewish scholars of his time, read the Genesis account as they read Homer - allegorically.

There is no conflict between the idea of the bible being divinely inspired and the recognition that it contains flaws. After all, it was written by mere men, subject to all the usual human frailties.

There's your flaw, believing the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil was a actual tree
There's your flaw believing that those men were just mere men.

If I may ask, which Jewish scholars are you referring to ?
You do know, there are two types of Jews. So which ones are you referring to ?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
There's your flaw, the tree of life is not a actual tree, nor is the tree of knowledge of good and evil a actual tree.
Indeed. The Genesis story is an allegorical depiction of a religious idea, not to be taken literally but interpreted to understand its messages.

Perhaps you are right and this is not a good example of recognising flaws. But there is another "flaw", also naturally commented on in the early church, concerning the two conflicting Genesis accounts (the differing order of creation). This too can, I suppose, cease to be a flaw, provided one is prepared to read the passages as figurative, rather than literal.

If your underlying point is that what seem on the face of it to be "flaws" can be rationalised by judicious interpretation, then I have no problem with that approach.

exchemist

Veteran Member
There's your flaw, believing the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil was a actual tree
There's your flaw believing that those men were just mere men.

If I may ask, which Jewish scholars are you referring to ?
You do know, there are two types of Jews. So which ones are you referring to ?
I was thinking of Philo of Alexandria and those that thought like him.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Well... if you take that in the context of their perspective, if God said in His word "For God so loved the world that He sent His only son that whosever believes in him would not perish but have everlasting life", then indeed God will not go against the scripture that is in the Bible and we don't have to worry that He lied about it because what He said in that scripture is the truth".
Still waiting to see a thousand year old Christian who just can't die.

David T

Premium Member
The story resonates with religious believers, that I can understand to a point, but what's puzzling for me is why people read the story literally and make historical claims about Jesus.
Religious believers? Why you have answered your question without even asking it. What exactly is belief? What is experience? Are they one in the same?
The liers paradox plays on this and thats in the middle of the new testament itself. Books, literacy, is a fumny funny thing.

Audie

Veteran Member
Christ most certainly did, that just shows that even you have no idea what the Bible supports and confirm's.

"Confirms" :D

In the event, what the bible says about itself is of
little interest, as a way to confirm the "truth" of it.

It is only when outside sources can confirm the bible
that "believable" comes in.

The bible does great, identifying that there is night and
day, a place called Egypt, etc. We can confirm that it
is dead on about those.

But then... off the rail it goes, right from the first, with
the 6 day godpoof, the flood, etc.

Of course, it may be that you have no idea what
it is that outside sources support, and what they do not?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Humbly , for me the answer is because, love is sacraficial towards self and beneficial towards others, and that is what God's word teaches, and what Jesus Christ did on the cross as a living example,Jesus- God in the flesh, showing that the greatest thing one can do is give up their life for others, and this does not mean to seek martydom in a vain attempt to eagerly sacrafice ones life in exchange for death, more often giving up ones life means - putting others before ourselves, rejecting vainity, and embracing compassion, and love; and if called to do so, and not by forethought and conspiring for vain glory, but for love of another to save their life, and ultimately lay down your own; preventing harm, never causing it. Love is the answer, Jesus Christ is love - God is love.

That's why I believe; I see the truths,the noble, loving, underlying messages, despite any translation faults, or editing done by the church, I know God, His Holy Spirit ministers to me the ministry of Christ's love.

As an example, the beautiful prophetic writing of Isaiah, foretelling who Jesus Christ is, and the suffering that God would endure for the love of all people. Sacraficing His life, not His childrens! this alone should show you to what extent God will go for all of us! and to me, this shows God doesn't punish and eternally torture any of His creation or children, that's not God! I don't care what parts of the Bible say, I know God, I know what He did on the cross forever seals His unending steadfast love for all.

Also, all of us relate to Christ , we too suffer unduly and we strive for love, we bare our crosses, and through God I know we overcome them, as He overcame His! Why do I believe? because this is me, this is my experience, what I go through, and Christ went through the same and more having never committed wrong, God in the flesh suffering the onslaught of evil, overcoming the cross and death, establishing forever our relationship with God.

Isaiah 53 ►

1Who has believed what he has heard from us?
And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
2For he grew up before him like a young plant,
and like a root out of dry ground;
he had no form or majesty that we should look at him,
and no beauty that we should desire him.
3He was despised and rejected by men,
a man of sorrowsc and acquainted withd grief;
and as one from whom men hide their faces
he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
4Surely he has borne our griefs
and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
smitten by God, and afflicted.
5But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed

ETA ( I feel that a song praising the Lord's love should follow, Isaiah) -

Give up His life for the others, usually is for ever. Not for three days and two nights. Everybofy would die for the others like that.

More precise would be to say that He sacrificed the passover weekend for the others.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
2 Timothy 3:16 says that "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness" and that's how I came to see the Bible. Historically speaking, a lot of archaeological findings have confirmed many of the things told in the Bible, and many times the scriptures have been used to establish the locations of ancient sites. But facts and artifacts are one thing. Interpretation, theory and speculation are another. I understand that it is easier to accept the physical aspects than the spiritual ones that our eyes can't see.
I love the good principles and advice I find in the Bible. The values I apply in my life have helped me cope with many things that otherwise I would probably need medication for. I'll take the Bible over anti depressants any day. I love that the Bible features so many people who were deeply flawed and had to face so many of the same difficulties we face today. Many things changed in the last 6000 year but human nature is more or less the same.
I also appreciate that the Bible tells how and why things are the way they are with humankind, but it also gives me "a light at the end of the tunnel"; having hope is such a wonderful thing.

Be careful that that light at the end of the tunnel is not a freight train coming your way.

For, if there is another God up there that Who not appreciate the version that Christians made of Him, then the freight train scenario might become plausible.

Ciao

- viole

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Far from false.

You just cannot establish any reliability accuracy or credibility that way.

Those are just the hard facts about it. The Bible is just not something you could take seriously.

You can certainly enjoy books. However the Bible is akin with Aesop's Fables. An enjoyable fictional literary work that's memorable.

There's no Divinity in anonymity. Clearly by such it further establishes there is no God there to protect them, if that's the case, I understand why people don't know who thought the words up and wrote it down as a result. However it does nothing for establishing any kind of truth except for blind belief born out of low standards of believability.

The thing about the schisms and conflicts among sect and denominations convincingly demonstrates there is no divine communication much less divine inspiration. Christians well demonstrate that it's all left up to their own particular interpretations. If there was a Collective consensus across the board that would be impressive , but clearly that's impossible and clearly is not going to happen.

Whenever you have a redacted collection of books made into a single compilation where nobody knows when it was written who wrote it, where it was written, it's not hard to see how it could be put together and altered to make it "harmonious" and making chronological events "fit" into the narrative. Even as the Bible exists today it's not done a good job in conveying to people how harmonious it is and it's claims that one author could not have known what another author had written down beforehand. Much less again knowing who the author's even are .

I see only rhetorical claims above, like "There's no Divinity in anonymity."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hmmm I know a lot of people have said something about this already so my response may be lost in the thread but why not give it a shot. I hear what you are saying. There is no proof about any of the bible being written based on facts and real people or even real events I get it, I do. I feel like the only thing I can say is what anyone would say for any religion that exists in this world is that it's a belief. Beliefs can be the same or different from facts no one knows and the ones who do know where the ones who wrote it in the first place.
However, if it's something you feel in your heart as true and you believe it and you feel it's right based on how you feel and what you personally believe then sure whatever that religion is, is for you so if you don't get the bible or understand what they have to say or you just don't agree then it's not for you don't dwell on why it's wrong just find what you believe in.
I can see the Bible as being inspirational for people . I think however it's problematic when people don't recognize inspiration as being just an aspect of themselves alone for which the book, dreams, or other media resonates.

I mean when I read the Bible or have a vivid dream, listen to music, or whatever, the people I meet or read about become alive in a very real way because you place yourself into that world and interact with it. I could say characters like God, Jesus and the disciples and various others do exist in that context because it exists as an extension of ones own thoughts and personality, even if the people and events never existed or happened in history.

However when the cover is closed, the credits roll, or you wake up, things snap back to reality and at times causes that tendency for people to reflect and dwell, and at times act, on the experience.

The characters themselves go back to paper and pen or whatever media it's comes from. I figure it's probably why people insist God is found only in the hearts and mind of its readers because what is read stays mentally with the person.

The Bible's clearly worthless in establishing actual times and events, and as an actual record of History, but has personal value in terms of the person themselves even when that value is strictly conceptual and unsubstantiated in nature.

"To thine own self be true".

Give up His life for the others, usually is for ever. Not for three days and two nights. Everybofy would die for the others like that.

More precise would be to say that He sacrificed the passover weekend for the others.

Ciao

- viole

Isaiah:

14He will keep you safe.
But to Israel and Judah
He will be a stone that makes people stumble, a rock that makes them fall.
And for the people of Jerusalem
He will be a trap and a snare.
15Many will stumble and fall,
Never to rise again.
They will be snared and captured.”
16therefore thus says the Lord GOD,

"Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion,
a stone, a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation: 'whoever believes will not be put to haste'

God bless

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Isaiah:

14He will keep you safe.
But to Israel and Judah
He will be a stone that makes people stumble, a rock that makes them fall.
And for the people of Jerusalem
He will be a trap and a snare.
15Many will stumble and fall,
Never to rise again.
They will be snared and captured.”
16therefore thus says the Lord GOD,

"Behold, I am the one who has laid as a foundation in Zion,
a stone, a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone, of a sure foundation: 'whoever believes will not be put to haste'

God bless

Hi Isaiah.

So, you do not agree that Jesus, after all, took only the passover weekend off for our sins?

If you ask me, I am a bit disappointed. I thought, my sins were serious stuff that deserved at least a couple of months of death, and not just a mere weekend.

Ciao

- viole

Kelly of the Phoenix

Hi Isaiah.

So, you do not agree that Jesus, after all, took only the passover weekend off for our sins?

If you ask me, I am a bit disappointed. I thought, my sins were serious stuff that deserved at least a couple of months of death, and not just a mere weekend.

Ciao

- viole
God only gave His people one day off a week to chill. Having a three day weekend was big news. :)