• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes something worthy of worship? What characteristics define a god or God?

Orias

Left Hand Path
What would something have to be or do in order to make it worthy of worship?

Very influential, perhaps to the extradordinary. The definition of magic, something someone considers before an action. Worship though, I don't know much about that, since all men were created "equal". Which proves a sort of inconsitency in man's psyche and own paradigm, since some worship an external icon while others "worship" their own internal icon.

What does your worship entail? Does worship truly boil down to "mere" adoration and subservience?

It's not worship, and its not really about being subservient either. But adoration certainly has a lot to do with it. In my view at least, you could gain more from a mutual observation instead of a biased and unthought of position.

Would you supplicate in order to receive knowledge?

No, in my view, this knowledge of "God" is innate within man. Really, any belief or disbelief is possessing such knowledge over this being.

What separates an ET from a god or "God" in your mind?

I don't really know how to answer this one, since we have yet to truly discover an ET outside of physics and percentages of them existing somewhere in the universe.

But in my view, all humans are stars and have "Godlike" potential, so I guess an ET would be no different.

Pachomius

I will put my two cents worth in since others seem to be finished.

I think in order to be labeled "God" something has to be at the very least the maximal entity that reality can support (it must be the very best possible); if a being happens to be synonymous with Reality while being self-determining or exceeding Reality, then these are also definitions I consider worthy of being labeled "God."

A "god" to me is no more and no less than an advanced extra-terrestrial being (occupying the same space as earth, but on a higher dimension or whatever while perhaps not technically extra-terrestrial is sufficient for me to think of it as an "alien").

I would only consider something worthy of reverence/worship (ultimate respect and highest regard) if and only if this being showed that it could and would be bothered to enhance the livelihood of everyone around it and that it was capable of enhancing humanities station/faculties/society in a manner which would normally be reserved for leaps in evolution or technological paradigm. Transform humanity by ushering in the Singularity and I will recognize your "godhood."

MTF

Have you thought of consulting with the experts of the established monotheistic faiths?

Start with the theologians of the Jewish faith, then continue with those of the Christian faith, and then also the theologians of the Muslim faith, Islam.

That will afford you a more enlightened mind for you to come to a more considered concept of the God you care to give attention to.

Otherwise you certainly appear to have a most limited exposure to the ideas of more learned and more experienced and more keen minds, by just consulting with your list of wishes for the God that you will give the name of God to.

Okay, let me ask you what is the fundamental concept of God in all the three established millennial faiths that advance the concept of one God, namely, on the basis of their focus on the relationship of God to the universe.

By the way, have you published anything in the way of the existence of God in the history of mankind from the dawn of conscious intelligence to the present year 2011 C.E. or A.D. (it comes to the same thing).

Pachomius

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Have you thought of consulting with the experts of the established monotheistic faiths?

Start with the theologians of the Jewish faith, then continue with those of the Christian faith, and then also the theologians of the Muslim faith, Islam.

That will afford you a more enlightened mind for you to come to a more considered concept of the God you care to give attention to.

Otherwise you certainly appear to have a most limited exposure to the ideas of more learned and more experienced and more keen minds, by just consulting with your list of wishes for the God that you will give the name of God to.

Okay, let me ask you what is the fundamental concept of God in all the three established millennial faiths that advance the concept of one God, namely, on the basis of their focus on the relationship of God to the universe.

By the way, have you published anything in the way of the existence of God in the history of mankind from the dawn of conscious intelligence to the present year 2011 C.E. or A.D. (it comes to the same thing).

Pachomius

You are trying to cast aspersions upon my own personal opinion on what "God" should have as a definition? This doesn't strike you as a bit ludicrous? Suppose I ask you what qualities you think make someone a proper "father?" Would it seem right to you to have me call your assessment unenlightened, unscholarly, and inexperienced?

I studied religious history in college and have read a small litany of books on the subject matter in my spare time. This has come from a cross-section of every major faith on the planet including one's you have left out like Hinduism and Bahai. My mother's and my own religious libraries take up several book shelves roughly 8 feet high.

But I seriously doubt it was your intention to get into a metaphorical dick measuring contest with me, since that would be childish and insecure.

The question asked was what YOU personally felt made something constitute "God" or being worthy of worshiped. In case you didn't notice the definition of the word "God" has multiple definitions, several of which are mutually exclusive (they contradict each other). As such it is worthy to ask what people's working definitions are for the word "God."

Side Notes:

No, I am not published: not that that matters in the slightest.
Yes, I have consulted with experts. A) High ranking members of the Lutheran denomination and B) People with religious history PHDs.
I know that Common Era (C.E.) and Anno Domini (A.D.) are the same; I have a degree in Sociology; that was something I had to learn right from the start.

MTF

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
The object of worship enables the worshipers increasingly like the worshiped. If you worship God, you will become more Godlike.

Orias

Left Hand Path
The object of worship enables the worshipers increasingly like the worshiped. If you worship God, you will become more Godlike.

I don't follow.

If you worship God, you recognize that you are a follower of him, making you less Godlike which in fact makes you more peon like. God does like to peon though, heh.

Unless of course you have any operant evidence that suggests God worships himself, then I would be inclined to agree ;)

Orias

Left Hand Path
But I seriously doubt it was your intention to get into a metaphorical dick measuring contest with me, since that would be childish and insecure.

Haha, its only childish and insecure if the person of subject doesn't have the balls to measure their own scrutiny of the matter.

But I am sure you know, dick talk gets you nowhere unless you are capable of shifting from left to right (giggle).