• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes something worthy of worship? What characteristics define a god or God?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
What would something have to be or do in order to make it worthy of worship? Comparably: what qualities would a being have to have in order to make divine (a deity)?

What does your worship entail? Does worship truly boil down to "mere" adoration and subservience? Would you supplicate in order to receive knowledge?

What separates an ET from a god or "God" in your mind?

MTF

blackout

Violet.
I see that we worship our own deity.
Our own I'deas, I'deals, I'mages.
We seek either to 'con'form' ourSelves
to those things,
or to 'become' those I'deas and I'm'ages,
to embody them,
to live out our I'deals of worth,
or to somehow access the power of Our most favored/valued I'Mages, I'cons, and Heroes.

Some of us create our own I'Mages
straight from the inner source of I'Mage'in'ation,
some of us borrow them from other sources,
and certainly borrow (at least what we like)from them.
Some of us literally bow down to
(shape/re'form ourSelves to)
literal (exoteric/external) interpretations of deified Worth,
Some of us symbolically exalt in
symbolic (esoteric/internal) expressions of deified Worth.

But at the end of the day,
it is Our Own Deity,
or
the Deity of Our Own Self Formation
(formation of Self)
whom we have worshiped.

I have clearly noticed,
that people's chosen/created/tweaked deities
are either reflections of who THEY are,
who they want to be,
or
what they want.

Gods are Self Aware.
They are Creators.

They are us.

This is my Word, as Deity. ;)

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Q. What makes something worthy of worship?

A. If you believe that "something" actually exists and it threatens you with harmful consequences if you don't worship it.

Q.What characteristics define a god or God?

A. Whatever you need them to be.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Superlatives are a good place to start.

Biggest, fastest, strongest, most intelligent, and most experienced.

Throw the power of creation on top of that....

Then it's not a matter of worship.
It's really a matter of whose will cannot be set aside...or circumvented....

In one word.....Almighty.

blackout

Violet.
Superlatives are a good place to start.

Biggest, fastest, strongest, most intelligent, and most experienced.

Throw the power of creation on top of that....

Then it's not a matter of worship.
It's really a matter of whose will cannot be set aside...or circumvented....

In one word.....Almighty.

Well then, what is the worship for?
What IS the worship?
What is it's purpose?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Q. What makes something worthy of worship?

A. If you believe that "something" actually exists and it threatens you with harmful consequences if you don't worship it.
This is your idea of "worthy?"

Skwim

Veteran Member
This is your idea of "worthy?"
I think fear is a worthy state of mind to pay attention to. If someone threatens me with death, that fear sets my survival instinct into gear, which in turn will hopefully make me realize that abiding by the terms of the threat will save my life. So, a being that can and will carry out such a threat is worth heeding; worthy of whatever it demands, including worship. Think of an national enemy whose armament is so vast that it is worthy of respect. You may not like the situation, but it's worthy of respect none the less.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
What would something have to be or do in order to make it worthy of worship?
Be relatively awesome, as well as beneficial. Although it they threatened me with eternal punishment, that could be grounds for worship...
Comparably: what qualities would a being have to have in order to make divine (a deity)?
Hmm...hyper-dimensional. That's about it.
What does your worship entail? Does worship truly boil down to "mere" adoration and subservience? Would you supplicate in order to receive knowledge?
Like all beings, I am at my core selfish. I would worship in order to better benefit myself in any way. Knowledge, protection, etc.
ETs are extraterrestrial. Gods in my mind are extra-dimensional. They weren't formed by this world. They formed the world.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If someone threatens me with death, that fear sets my survival instinct into gear, which in turn will hopefully make me realize that abiding by the terms of the threat will save my life.
That's your idea of "worship"?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well then, what is the worship for?
What IS the worship?
What is it's purpose?

Well....most who believe in spiritual realms also believe in conflict...
One spirit against another.

Worship defines which side of the line you stand on.

Then, worship is more to allegiance.

I suppose you could say it, it's an emotional response, and then tie it to a practice of admiration.
But you would still be on one side of the line, or the other.

Many Sages One Truth

I define God as at least being a power higher then humans, if we think of like the devas and Olympians, we might say higher life form. God does not necessarily need to mean all-powerful, etc. in my mind.

Me Myself

Back to my username
First thing it need so I can worship him/she is I must feel he/she is morally better than me if not in all virtues at least in one.

Also really important that I feel my worship will be taken with love/respect/appreciation.

Generaly I do expect something in return of the worship, almost always I expect the deity to help me develop global or specific virtue and also sometimes something specifical and more material/psychological I may want in my life.("I need money" "I wan´t to be happy in this area" "Please help my friend with his feelings" etc)

If the deity is just powerful but not moraly superior, I may prefer not to worship him/her, because of not being interested or because of fear :D. The way I see it, no deity should make me problems for "not worshiping" if I didn´t had a close relationship with him/her or offended him/her in the first place, so it´s better to just worship morally superior beings that are mostly beyond ego, and will be compassionate with me if I *** up in ay case.

May do ecceptions with the non-morally superior stuff but would be more like "pay respects" I don´t think I would call it worship. It is just a general different feeling and I just very rarely have done such ecception, and it has been rarely something major for me the respects or the request anyways.

So there. I would NEVER worship because of fear. IMO a deity that wants to be worshipped shouldn´t fear you into it unless to the very least it had a relationship with you and you ***ed up.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
That's your idea of "worship"?
No, it's what could bring a person to worship: fear of reprisal. The god of Abraham made it quite clear that to be saved from the fires of hell one must worship him.
Matthew 4:10 (NIV)
10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.
And if one doesn't?
Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.”
So . . .
Revelation 14: 7
7 He said in a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

No going to worship this god, then be ready for the consequences because "the hour of his judgment has come."

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think fear is a worthy state of mind to pay attention to. If someone threatens me with death, that fear sets my survival instinct into gear, which in turn will hopefully make me realize that abiding by the terms of the threat will save my life. So, a being that can and will carry out such a threat is worth heeding; worthy of whatever it demands, including worship. Think of an national enemy whose armament is so vast that it is worthy of respect. You may not like the situation, but it's worthy of respect none the less.
But the question wasn't about states of mind. It was about God-concepts.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
What would something have to be or do in order to make it worthy of worship? Comparably: what qualities would a being have to have in order to make divine (a deity)?

A being that is visible and can do anything through sheer willpower alone.

Hard to say for sure. My worship would probably begin with bowing down, like people used to do to kings/ queens. After that it'll depend on the will of the divine being as to 'worthy worship' and not my own. (If the being even desires worship)

Skwim

Veteran Member
But the question wasn't about states of mind. It was about God-concepts.
Actually, there are two questions:
What makes something worthy of worship?

What characteristics define a god or God?
I chose to answer the first, and ignore the second because it's been gone over before.

Acim

Revelation all the time
What would something have to be or do in order to make it worthy of worship?

Be all encompassing of my being, leaving me with no trace of doubt, filled with awe.

Comparably: what qualities would a being have to have in order to make divine (a deity)?

Perfect love.
Supreme creativity.
Life as Light.
Communicate without symbols or physical perception(s).

What does your worship entail?

Subtle reverence, or respect that feels humbled by presence of perfect love. Glimpses of awe, or very brief experiences of overwhelming magnificence.

Does worship truly boil down to "mere" adoration and subservience?

Mere would be mischaracterization. Overwhelming is what I'd replace that with. And in place of subservience would be Free Will.

Would you supplicate in order to receive knowledge?

Question doesn't make sense within my understandings.

God is not a projection outside of my perceived being.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, there are two questions:
What makes something worthy of worship?

What characteristics define a god or God?
I chose to answer the first, and ignore the second because it's been gone over before.
And you said that threats of retaliation make it worthy. I find that bizarre.