• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes Something Sacred?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Friend Ss,

Whatever makes something sacred also makes it what it is!
A story for illustration:
Had heard that two sen monks reach a certain village at night during very cold weather and finds no place to spend the night except the Buddhist temple where the temple priest allow them to spend the night. They meditated before the Buddha and went to sleep.
As the floor was of stone the temple airy the monks could not stay warm and started shivering. They found nothing to keep themselves warm with except the wooden statue of the Buddha. they brought it down and took pieces out of it and burned it and the night was spent. Morning the priest came he could not control the anger and went in a rage and somehow controlled himself and threw them out but after asking why they did it. The monks said the buddha within demanded it.

Love & rgds

I like that.
Do you see a similarity when the bread of the temple was given to hungered soldiers?
(old testament)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Thief,
Do you see a similarity when the bread of the temple was given to hungered soldiers?
Thank you for your understanding.
Sorry as have not read it, kindly provide a link to the story.

Offerings to God had always been distributed by worshippers in India culture as *prasad* of offerrings to God which everyone eats with reverence. Meaning whatever we eat is a gift of God and so be conscious of it and eat consciously.
But it will be sacrilegious to burn or desecrate a idol of God in a temple and only those in zen can understand it all!

Love & rgds

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Friend Thief,

Thank you for your understanding.
Sorry as have not read it, kindly provide a link to the story.

Offerings to God had always been distributed by worshippers in India culture as *prasad* of offerrings to God which everyone eats with reverence. Meaning whatever we eat is a gift of God and so be conscious of it and eat consciously.
But it will be sacrilegious to burn or desecrate a idol of God in a temple and only those in zen can understand it all!

Love & rgds

I'll find a reference for my previous post and let you know.

Should we also consider the point of offense?
Should I be offended if you fail to hold carefully what I say to be sacred?
If you burn my bible...should I burn you?

I don't really think so.
If I treat you harshly over something you did....to a dead thing....
won't God take offense of my harsh action?

But what if we fail to hold sacred those matters that are sacred to God?
First step...understanding what God would hold sacred.
Probably something of spirit....don't you think so?

Maybe you've noticed.....
God seems willing to stand back and allowed anything to be spoiled.
But then when people misbehave....'fail to step up'....

Where do you think God draws the line?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Thief,

What may be of prime importance before any discussion fructifies to common understanding is that we have a common understanding of the topic discussed.
Here you are using the label *God*; now what is this *God*?
To personal understanding it is the totality of everything and this everything includes us.
So, it automatically means that we ourselves are sacred then why do we do things like kill or burn etc.?? Each form has survival instincts which are all parts of that *God* and sacred. What is happening is happening in spite of any *US*.
Where do you think God draws the line?
There is no God there who is drawing anything.
It is your mind that is drawing anything!

Love & rgds

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Friend Thief,

What may be of prime importance before any discussion fructifies to common understanding is that we have a common understanding of the topic discussed.
Here you are using the label *God*; now what is this *God*?
To personal understanding it is the totality of everything and this everything includes us.
So, it automatically means that we ourselves are sacred then why do we do things like kill or burn etc.?? Each form has survival instincts which are all parts of that *God* and sacred. What is happening is happening in spite of any *US*.

There is no God there who is drawing anything.
It is your mind that is drawing anything!

Love & rgds

Are you not drawn (up) from this earth.
A line beneath your feet...a line above your head...
Not my doing....not your's either.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Thief,

Are you not drawn (up) from this earth.
A line beneath your feet...a line above your head...
Not my doing....not your's either.

Sorry friend, you missed the point was pointing at.
Yes it is not doing of either *you* or *me* as that *YOU and *ME* are ONE which is also the source and destiny of the form. The form is part of *God* or the source and destiny itself.
are you following??

Love & rgds

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Friend Thief,

Sorry friend, you missed the point was pointing at.
Yes it is not doing of either *you* or *me* as that *YOU and *ME* are ONE which is also the source and destiny of the form. The form is part of *God* or the source and destiny itself.
are you following??

Love & rgds

It seems I lean to discovering where the lines are drawn....
and you want to erase them.