• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Makes Something Sacred?

Draka

Wonder Woman
No need to wait.....I have already explained my position.
Rebuttal at will.

Your position is based upon a faulty definition. Since I ascribe to the proper definition I cannot logically rebuttal anything you present unless I play with the same deck someone dealt to you from, and being that I don't think it was full to begin with, I don't think there's enough cards left for me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For your convenience....post#17

Remove the spiritual for this thread?

Then nothing is sacred.

In terms of motivation there are only four.
Religion, politics, military and the economy.

Remove belief in God and then, nothing is sacred.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Are you suggesting a man-made item to be sacred?

Where's that definition some people claim I don't understand?

Take God out of the picture...and nothing is sacred.

sacred

Pronunciation: /ˈseɪkrɪd/
adjective
connected with God or a god or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration:
sacred rites
the site at Eleusis is sacred to Demeter
religious rather than secular:
sacred music
(of writing or text) embodying the laws or doctrines of a religion:
a sacred Hindu text

regarded with great respect and reverence by a particular religion, group, or individual:
cows are sacred and the eating of beef is taboo

regarded as too valuable to be interfered with; sacrosanct:
to a police officer nothing is sacred

That is the Oxford Dictionary and the bolded parts are indicative of unnecesity of God for sacredness.

Draka

Wonder Woman
And what about you?
What will you declare sacred and expect God to hold in regard?

Gonna take something with you as you exit this life?

I see you still haven't read the definition of sacred. Shall I take a vacation and check back in a couple weeks to see if you've had a chance to get around to it? :rolleyes:

There is no requirement for there even to be a deity for something to be considered sacred to someone and even if there is a deity of some random kind there is nothing that says that holding something to be sacred means that the deity must hold it in any regard whatsoever. Though explaining this to you is most likely completely useless and will have the same effect as trying to romance a wall.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I see you still haven't read the definition of sacred. Shall I take a vacation and check back in a couple weeks to see if you've had a chance to get around to it? :rolleyes:

There is no requirement for there even to be a deity for something to be considered sacred to someone and even if there is a deity of some random kind there is nothing that says that holding something to be sacred means that the deity must hold it in any regard whatsoever. Though explaining this to you is most likely completely useless and will have the same effect as trying to romance a wall.
like this?
:banghead3:

:D

marriage is sacred for some
children are sacred for some
integrity is sacred for some
as well as god is sacred for some

marriages are challenged
children are challenging
integrity is challenging
and god is challenged

anything sacred is not invalidated by challenges

Thief

Rogue Theologian

And you are just ignoring my posts as they lead where you will not follow.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Nice spin you've put on it.

Where does he want me to follow? The yellow brick road of his imagination where only his own created definitions of words matter regardless of reality? I didn't buy a ticket on that train.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Where does he want me to follow? The yellow brick road of his imagination where only his own created definitions of words matter regardless of reality? I didn't buy a ticket on that train.
No sense in buying a ticket to end up where you started with nothing but time spent to show for it.

Me Myself

Back to my username
And you are just ignoring my posts as they lead where you will not follow.

AND YOU are just ignoring my post as they lead you to the actual definition of sacred according to english language, given that your definition cannot follow:

sacred

Pronunciation: /ˈseɪkrɪd/
adjective
connected with God or a god or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration:
sacred rites
the site at Eleusis is sacred to Demeter
religious rather than secular:
sacred music
(of writing or text) embodying the laws or doctrines of a religion:
a sacred Hindu text

regarded with great respect and reverence by a particular religion, group, or individual:
cows are sacred and the eating of beef is taboo

regarded as too valuable to be interfered with; sacrosanct:
to a police officer nothing is sacred

That is the Oxford Dictionary and the bolded parts are indicative of unnecesity of God for sacredness.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I'm having so much fun!...keep it coming....

Consecrated...dedicated or set apart...holy or hallowed, esp. by association with the divine; worthy of veneration....religious in nature,
association, or use....not secular or profane.

My dictionary points upward.
My bible reports God's dismay that we worship anything but Him.
(He's jealous)

Now it you want to....
I suppose treating a material thing...dedicated to the worship of God...
as sacred....makes sense.
But I don't have any dogmatic practice.

If you enjoy rosaries and prayer rugs....fine.
But I won't follow.
My prayer is...
'Father, do unto me as I do unto others.'

If you wish to call this sacred...okay.

Or maybe my dictionary is too old for for you....
You have a different set of scriptures....
or you don't want to believe in Something greater than you.

In any case....'sacred' in aimed upward.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ss,

What Makes Something Sacred?
Whatever makes something sacred also makes it what it is!
A story for illustration:
Had heard that two sen monks reach a certain village at night during very cold weather and finds no place to spend the night except the Buddhist temple where the temple priest allow them to spend the night. They meditated before the Buddha and went to sleep.
As the floor was of stone the temple airy the monks could not stay warm and started shivering. They found nothing to keep themselves warm with except the wooden statue of the Buddha. they brought it down and took pieces out of it and burned it and the night was spent. Morning the priest came he could not control the anger and went in a rage and somehow controlled himself and threw them out but after asking why they did it. The monks said the buddha within demanded it.

Love & rgds