• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes one officially Christian?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello All,

In Islam, for example, believing that God is the only true god worthy of worship and Muhammad is his creation, slave and prophet, is what makes one officially and basically a Muslim.

What makes one officially Christian? I mean a Christian regardless to different sects, trends and denominations.

Please don't turn this into a debate among different Christian sects, trends and denominations. I'm looking for the most basic requirement to be Christian.

Thank you :)

Important note:
I would like to have answers from Christians only.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
It would depend on whom exactly you're asking as each community may have differing requirements. But a valid water baptism in the trinitarian formula and a statement of belief will have you accepted as Christian in most mainstream denominations. Becoming a full member of a particular chruch may require a period of catechesis leading to an eventual confirmation. Again, differing groups will have differing requirements.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Thank you for the answers.

Some of my Christian friends say they are Christians of no denomination. Is there a basic requirement for this?

Thana

Lady
Thank you for the answers.

Some of my Christian friends say they are Christians of no denomination. Is there a basic requirement for this?

Not really. That's why they're non-denominational hehe ;)

But if they claim to be Christian than they have to have some belief in Jesus as the Messiah, I think that's pretty much bare minimum for the label. Not that anyone is really going to dispute your claim of being a Christian regardless.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Well no, if you're not a part of any particular Christian community then you're not subject to any given community's rules. In which case you're a Christian if you claim yourself as one. But of course, such claims of being a Christian will probably not be recognised by any particular group if you fail their basic requirements.

That said in general public life, if you claim to be Christian most will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I'm looking for the most basic requirement to be Christian.
A Christian by the Pauline definition most accept, is someone who believes that jesus died, and was resurrected for you.

The idea of needing to be baptized, and being born again is a requirement to being saved.

You don't need to accept him as the Messiah or accept the Trinity to be a Christian....They're both additional interpretations. :innocent:

Thana

Lady
A Christian by the Pauline definition most accept, is someone who believes that jesus died, and was resurrected for you.

The idea of needing to be baptized, and being born again is a requirement to being saved.

You don't need to accept him as the Messiah or accept the Trinity to be a Christian....They're both additional interpretations. :innocent:

Well I must be missing something, How can Jesus being the Messiah be an interpretation? If Jesus isn't the Messiah than doesn't Christianity literally and completely fall apart?
I can't help but think that if that were true Christianity wouldn't even be Christianity, It'd be some obscure denomination/sect of Judaism.

I don't know.. sometimes peoples idea of what is and is not Christianity goes above and beyond what one could consider reasonable.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I can't help but think that if that were true Christianity wouldn't even be Christianity, It'd be some obscure denomination/sect of Judaism.

That is how Christianity pretty much started out. The single biggest difference between Christian and Jew is the belief in Jesus as the messiah. One must remember that "messiah" does not mean divine or holy. It simply means anointed, and refers to a savior or leader. The Gospels go out of their way to try and make Jesus fit the messiah mold, especially the Book of Matthew.

Thana

Lady
That is how Christianity pretty much started out. The single biggest difference between Christian and Jew is the belief in Jesus as the messiah. One must remember that "messiah" does not mean divine or holy. It simply means anointed, and refers to a savior or leader. The Gospels go out of their way to try and make Jesus fit the messiah mold, especially the Book of Matthew.

Exactly.
So not believing Jesus to be the Messiah can't really be called Christian can it?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If Jesus isn't the Messiah than doesn't Christianity literally and completely fall apart?
No, as Christianity is more based on Paul's ideas, that jesus came to die for peoples sins....

No one would deny you being a Christian if you said, "you weren't sure about jesus being the Messiah"; yet if you say, "you don't think he came to die for peoples sins, and was resurrected", that is where they deny you being one.

A lot of Christians believe jesus is the messiah, yet won't fulfill that role until the 2nd coming, and the Messianic age. ;)
A Christian, in the broadest sense, is someone who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.
You don't even need to really know Yeshua's teachings, as long as you accept the premise put forward by Paul.
I would like to have answers from Christians only.
Raised Christian, worked in my aunties Christian book shop, attended Christian conventions, and then spent the last 15 year studying it. :innocent:

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
We're not arguing, I'm just trying to understand different perspectives about Christianity.
Exposure to egregious ill-founded views are part and parcel of a platform where anyone and everyone can speak. I trust smart Smart Guy's discernment in distinguishing the mainstream from the peanut gallery.

Thana

Lady
Exposure to egregious ill-founded views are part and parcel of a platform where anyone and everyone can speak. I trust smart Smart Guy's discernment in distinguishing the mainstream from the peanut gallery.

Wow.
That was really.. really.. typical.

If I didn't know better I'd think you were looking for us to get into an argument.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
If I didn't know better I'd think you were looking for us to get into an argument.
I don't see how you figure that. I saw your interaction with wizanda and American Deist on the precipice of an argument which was specifically asked against. Even if I agree with you that their views are not reflective of mainstream Christianity. In fact they repudiate it hence the peanut gallery.

Thana

Lady
I don't see how you figure that. I saw your interaction with wizanda and American Deist on the precipice of an argument which was asked against. Even if I agree with you that their views are not reflective of mainstream Christianity. In fact they repudiate it hence the peanut gallery.

On the precipice? No, what you mean to say is you assumed and wanted to jump in. I was asking questions, trying to learn about their beliefs and why they're so unique. This thread probably isn't the best place for that and so I apologized.

If anything were on the precipice of an argument it would be this conversation right now :)