• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes Jesus so special?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Squirt said:
Obviously, you’re a bright woman, lilithu, and I’ve got to admit that I agree with the vast majority of your posts. But again, as a non-Christian, you see Jesus Christ as being a good man and nothing more. But that is not what He claimed to be.
He didn't claim to be exclusively God nor part of a trinity.

I don't "see Jesus Christ as being a good man and nothing more." If that's what you think then, respectfully, you don't understand what I've been saying. I believe that Jesus was God but we all are God. Most of us just don't realize it. God is immanent in us and Jesus fully realized that immanence. He attained divinity through his faithful living in God. But/and that divinity is open to all of us. Jesus was human; Christ is divine. And Christ is the result of how Jesus lived, not how he died. That's what I believe, and I am content to agree to disagree.

Dentonz

Halcyon said:
I disagree.

Many people called themselves Christian 2,000 years ago because they followed Jesus Christ. The beliefs of the different groups of Christians differed wildly, but each group considered itself Christian.

If someone does not belief in ritual human sacrifice, it doesn't mean they're not Christian, it just means they are not your variety of Christian - the Christian sect founded by Saul of Tarsus.
Just because your sect became dominant and exterminated the competition doesn't automatically give you exclusive rights to the label.

The term Christian means "little Christ" or "Christ like". Christ means "the Anointed One". Jesus is the Christ of God. God is the Lord Jehovah of the Old testament who required the "shedding of blood" for the remission of sins. To be a Christian by definition you have to believe in Jesus' death and resurrection. You can say you're a follower of a man named Jesus, but unless you repent of your sins and accept Jesus' atonement; you're not following the Jesus (author and finisher of the Christain faith).

bunny1ohio

Dentonz said:
The term Christian means "little Christ" or "Christ like". Christ means "the Anointed One". Jesus is the Christ of God. God is the Lord Jehovah of the Old testament who required the "shedding of blood" for the remission of sins. To be a Christian by definition you have to believe in Jesus' death and resurrection. You can say you're a follower of a man named Jesus, but unless you repent of your sins and accept Jesus' atonement; you're not following the Jesus (author and finisher of the Christain faith).

Well said Dentonz.... also an interjection... didn't they call themselves (or didn't others call them) the Christ cult 2,000 years ago instead of Christians? You sounded pretty knowledgeable on the subject so thought I would ask your opinion here :)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Dentonz said:
Well, you're wrong, but i don't know what else i can say to change your mind. Go do a little research.

Dentonz

bunny1ohio said:
Well said Dentonz.... also an interjection... didn't they call themselves (or didn't others call them) the Christ cult 2,000 years ago instead of Christians? You sounded pretty knowledgeable on the subject so thought I would ask your opinion here :)

Actually the believers at Antioch in the 1st century were the first ones to use the name Christian.

Dentonz

Halcyon said:
Well, you're wrong, but i don't know what else i can say to change your mind. Go do a little research.

Okay, I did a little more research and found out that 'Christ' actually means 'anointed one' in Greek. Also, the Romans used 'Christian' as a derogatory term to the early believers because it meant 'Christ like'.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Ori's original post asked us what makes Jesus so special to each of us? He did not say that one had to be Christian to answer or to give an "orthodox" Christian answer. Jesus has been an inspiration for social justice throughout history, ever since his story was told, for Christians and non-Christians alike. He gave inspiration and courage to Dr. King and Gandhi. This could have been a very uplifting thread about the different ways in which Jesus has positively affected the world and each of our personal lives. Instead, it has degenerated into an argument over who is "really" Christian and who is not. Not a very fitting tribute to him imo.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I second Lilithu. The topic of this thread is not "What makes someone a Christian", but "What makes Jesus so special". We have many threads that address what makes someone a Christian. Perhaps we can have at least one, unique thread on what makes Jesus so special?

bunny1ohio

lilithu said:
Jesus has been an inspiration for social justice throughout history, ever since his story was told, for Christians and non-Christians alike.

This could have been a very uplifting thread about the different ways in which Jesus has positively affected the world and each of our personal lives. Instead, it has degenerated into an argument over who is "really" Christian and who is not. Not a very fitting tribute to him imo.

Kudos Lilithu.... :takeabow: And for myself.... I think he was (if he really lived) an extraordinary man with inate abilities that nobody could understand in his day. He may have very well been a prophet... but above all he was a teacher of strong ethical and moral values. His message, I think anyways, is what was important.... not whether or not he was of a divine origin. The things it is said that he did can still be seen (mostly) today in hands-on healers. Other than raising the dead and walking on water being two obvious ones... much of what Christ did is still going on in the world today I feel... just on a smaller scale :)

Dentonz

lilithu said:
Ori's original post asked us what makes Jesus so special to each of us? He did not say that one had to be Christian to answer or to give an "orthodox" Christian answer. Jesus has been an inspiration for social justice throughout history, ever since his story was told, for Christians and non-Christians alike. He gave inspiration and courage to Dr. King and Gandhi. This could have been a very uplifting thread about the different ways in which Jesus has positively affected the world and each of our personal lives. Instead, it has degenerated into an argument over who is "really" Christian and who is not. Not a very fitting tribute to him imo.

I agree, and I apologize to the parties involved. :shout :shout :shout

What makes Jesus so special? One son of a carpenter, who became a Rabbi, who only actually taught for about 3 years; Yet even the earth's time itself revolves around his existence. How many others have taught a message and died for their beliefs? The very idea that this question was even asked says a great deal about his influence.
He's special because he left his throne on high and became a man so that with his sacrifice he could attone for the sins of mankind. His name is exalted above all other names and he is truly the King of kings and Lord of lords.

He is my Lord and my God. To Jesus be all glory, honor, power and praise.

may

Jesus ,when he was on the earth, showed on a small scale , how people can be healed , and brought back to life , and this is what he will do on a world wide scale in the near future , with the power of his father Jehovah with him , he will accomplish great things on the earth .And no resident will say: "I am sick." The people that are dwelling in [the land] will be those pardoned for their errorIsaiah 33;24